Advice for D1 Athlete/Baseball

Proverbs36

I just started Whole30 on the 1st and to my shock managed to interest my son who is a baseball player home for Christmas.  He is a pitcher who has had years of challenges with elbow inflammation and lives on (NCAA approved) anti-inflammatory drugs.  When I told him Whole30 was about eliminating inflammation he started paying attention.

My concern is he can't afford to "experiment" with his diet right now because his season starts next week - no margin for error. So maybe doing a strict Whole30 isn't for him? But we don't want him to miss the opportunity to see improvement from inflammation.

I've been reading up some of the other threads about pre-and post workout meals (he and his teammates all use whey protein powder drinks because they are fast and easy to access post-lift while running to class).  But it made me nervous to read about some people feeling weaker while adjusting to Whole30.

Any advice?

He should probably check with his S&C coach.  As a reference, have him ask about what LeBron did over the summer:

"I had no sugars, no dairy, I had no carbs," the four-time MVP explained. "All I ate was meat, fish, veggies and fruit. That's it. For 67 straight days."
http://www.si.com/nba/2014/09/16/lebron-james-nike-lebron-12-release-unveiling

• Moderators

Eating starchy veggies should help mitigate his adaptation period. Sweet potatoes, beets, etc. the adjustment period may be smooth for him but even if it isn't, it should be over within 7 days or so anyway. I've written a bit on my blog about this, read on if interested. Links in my signature.

Archived