Adding sweetener to coffee. Least bad choice

Sarahalb

Hi, I've stayed on the whole30 for almost two months. I completely eliminated coffee because I can't handle the taste without almond milk and sugar. I found whole30 approved almond milk-unsweetened and without carageenen. And I need to know what the least bad form of sweetener is, for my coffee. This will be my only occasional cheat with breakfast when I feel like I need it.

Is coconut palm sugar the way to go? Or stevia? Maple syrup?(And dates is not an option for me). Thanks in advance!

Believe it or not there is no right or wrong choice here.  It's completely up to you and how your body responds to the sweetener.  I drink my coffee black now or with coconut milk.  

But sweeteners in general I go with the more natural, less processed the better.  Stevia can be still be highly processed - depends on the brand.  I don't enjoy the taste of it either so for me personally it is out.  Sweetener of choice is either honey or maple syrup.

• 2 weeks later...

Before I started the Whole30 I was making my own Coconut Creamer - too many additives in store bought - 1 can coconut milk (not light), 
1-2T vanilla extract, 
2T coconut oil melted, 4T honey or vanilla stevia to taste (or maple syrup or agave), Sea salt to taste (optional) - You can adjust sweetness according to your own taste. I personally cannot drink coffee black as it bothers my stomach to do so, but have only used canned pure coconut milk (no additives or water) during this process (not bad either). Hope this helps.

I have the same question. If sugar is sugar no matter what I use, wouldn't pure cane sugar be better than chemicals or stevia?

we try not to talk about "less bad" options on the boards. During the whole30 NO sweetener is allowed (no matter what kind). Post-whole30, you decide where you want to draw the line for your own personal context.

Thanks for posting this topic.  I've survived my first whole 30!  The hardest part of the whole thing for me was drinking unsweetened coffee.  I added coconut milk (the compliant canned one), but missed the sweetness. 

My question is, what about a teaspoon of sugar in my morning cup while I'm in the reintroduction phase? Will that throw off my results? Do I have to wait until I've tested all the off-menu groups first?

My question is, what about a teaspoon of sugar in my morning cup while I'm in the reintroduction phase? Will that throw off my results? Do I have to wait until I've tested all the off-menu groups first?

To do a proper reintro, follow the protocol of reintroducing one food group at a time, keeping all else Whole30 compliant, until you are done with all reintroductions. Once you reintro something, don't have it again until all reintros are complete. So, hold off on the sugar until you're done.

• 5 months later...

Ok, so tomorrow is Day 30!! Yeah me!! I have missed a few drops of stevia ( I used to use Trader Joes brand) in my coffee. Is this a bad option to introduce a few drops in my coffee? I really THINK I have missed it. But I do not want to reintroduce if it causes me to want more sweets. Do I need to treat it like any other reintroduce and wait 2-3 days after 1 trail run? Thanks!

• Moderators

Ok, so tomorrow is Day 30!! Yeah me!! I have missed a few drops of stevia ( I used to use Trader Joes brand) in my coffee. Is this a bad option to introduce a few drops in my coffee? I really THINK I have missed it. But I do not want to reintroduce if it causes me to want more sweets. Do I need to treat it like any other reintroduce and wait 2-3 days after 1 trail run? Thanks!

If you reintroduce it, you treat it just like any other reintroduction -- have it for a day, then 2-3 days back to Whole30 eating, then continue to leave it out as you do other reintroductions.

The most likely reaction to adding any sweetener back to your meals is that you will crave more sweets. It's not guaranteed that you'll have that reaction, and you could have other reactions too, although I'm not sure what reactions stevia is likely to cause. 

As for whether it's a bad option, no sweetener is really going to enhance your health. We can't really tell you which one to use, or how often it's okay to use it, that's something you have to decide for yourself. If it's something you really love, reintroduce it and see what happens. Just pay attention to how you feel, both immediately on reintroducing it, and going forward if you choose to use it regularly. If you notice your coffee consumption goes way up because you like it better with the stevia, that might be something to keep an eye on. Or if you use it once and have no issues, but notice as you have it every morning, you start to to crave more sweet things over time, that's something to watch for.

Ok, so I decided a sweetner of any kind was not what I wanted to reintroduce on my first day after 30!! What am I going to reintroduce?? Good question! I'm not real sure or even if I want to at this point! Maybe extend my Whole 30. I feel like the fact I wanted to add a sweetener could mean I am not ready to add. I don't want to wake the Dragon just yet!

• Moderators

Hi BirdyP

You might want to consider reading (or re-reading) this article from Melissa on the Slow Roll Re-Introduction... it sounds like maybe it might be a good fit for you!

http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

Also, you don't HAVE to add anything back that you have no intention of ever eating again... for me that was beans/legumes and soy. No point re-introducing if it's off the table for good!

Thank you! That is my plan to re-read that AGAIN!! Plus I feel like I owe it to myself to REALLY evaluate what things are important to me before I start just trying to put stuff back in I was used to. There is a reason I did the Whole 30!! I need to consider that prior to adding back in!! So I plan to do some more reading and really considering what my next, best step is!!

• 5 months later...

I am so glad I found this topic. I'm on Day 18 of my first Whole30 and one thing that I really miss is my one cup of sweetened coffee in the morning. I had been wondering if it would be better to use Stevia vs sugar vs coconut sugar vs whatever else I can get my hands on. All of the responses have given me a good idea for how to approach that issue when the time comes.

Thanks!

Have you tried to just have it with no sweetener? I know a couple of sweet coffee drinkers change into short blacks with no milk or sugar. They can't go back either. A dollop of coconut cream goes done well as well.

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, lisa roberge said:

I put my coffee into my blender with a date, coconut milk and100 percent vanilla paste with no alcohol added. Its frothy and delicious. 

This is towing the line of SWYPO.  

Tip: Regarding “Paleo” coffee creamer… sigh. We know there’s a recipe out there where eggs, coconut milk, dates, and some voodoo magic are combined with prayers to create a thick, creamy concoction that can take the place of your cream and sugar (or Coffeemate) and once again transform your undrinkable black coffee into sweet, dreamy caffeine. We REALLY don’t like this, and would encourage you to take a look at why you need this at all. Do you really like coffee, or are you drinking it for the hit of sugary flavor?

Archived