Contessa's 60-day Lift Ticket

Contessa

Day 25 (01/30/15):

Breakfast: room service before another long client day.... scrambled eggs, sausages, some really gross potatoes, 1/2 slice toast, herbal tea

Lunch: turkey sandwiches, potato chips, green salad at client meeting. Ahhh, the scourge of the turkey sandwich platter at a client lunch. These sandwiches are everywhere. Big puffy white bread, one slice of turkey. If I could count the number of such sandwiches I have been given at client meetings...! I remember when such a lunch would have registered as "healthy" in my book. Now I just look at all that puffy bread, and think, "Where is the real food?"

Dinner: Picked up Chipotle on the way home from the airport after my business trip... barbacoa bowl with rice, black beans, cheese. Was totally tuckered out and looking for anything I could get to go.

Day 26 (01/31/15) (back at home):

Breakfast: 2 egg + banana pancake

Lunch/dinner: paleo shepherd's pie with sweet potato and ground beef; green salad with vinaigrette; mac and cheese; steamed broccoli

"Chocolate" Go Lean "cookies" + cashew butter for "dessert"

Day 27 (02/01/15):
Breakfast: Leftover Chipotle from Friday night

Snack: homemade ginger kombucha! Tastes mighty fine.

Lunch: Brunch with friends.... a breakfast burrito containing eggs, beans, chorizo. Roast potatoes on the side.

Dinner: leftover breakfast burrito.

Day 28 (02/02/15):

Pre-WO snack: hard boiled egg

Breakfast: scrambled egg + veggie hash

Lunch: "wrap" sandwich (lettuce + chicken + pesto) as part of a company lunch. I had a slice of homemade cheesecake waved under my nose as part of a company celebration. I resisted. 

Dinner: dinner party with two friends. Homemade lentil/veg soup + bread + cheese. Low-key peasant meal.

Day 30 (02/04/15):

I've now been off "major sugar" for 30 days. If/when I get back in its icy clutches, I need to come back to this page and remind myself how good it feels to be off it. My thinking is clear, my skin looks good, my sleeping is good, I need less sleep overall, I do better at the gym, I feel better afterwards, and MORE THAN ANYTHING, I am not constantly haunted by bad feelings and guilt about eating sugar all the time. (Yes. Food that promotes a 'healthy psychological response' is my jam.)

Breakfast: scrambled egg + veggie hash

Lunch: paleo spaghetti + meatballs

Dinner: Had dinner out with a friend and at a burger (including the bun) and sweet potato fries. It was fine. No major repercussions. She's a total whole 30 person, and would've understood if I'd removed the bun. But I couldn't find utensils anywhere. In the moment, I felt self-conscious about getting gory with the bun and then eating the patty with no utensils....

Day 33 (02/07/15):
Pre-WO snack: hard boiled egg + almonds

Lunch: paleo spaghetti + meatballs

Dinner: Big green salad + chicken taco + a few steamed veggies from the Whole Foods buffet

(Noteworthy: This is officially the longest I have ever gone in my adult life without chocolate.) (I miss it.) (The holiday has also been positive.)

Day 34 (02/08/15):

Breakfast: hard boiled egg + almonds

Lunch: a late meal with friends. "Southwestern egg wrap" at a diner with black beans, eggs, some cheese, pico. Roasted potatoes. I also had coffee with cream and a bit of sugar. I used sparing bits of both. The coffee just wasn't very good to begin with. The doctoring didn't help. Do I need to give up coffee even as a "special occasion" beverage? Perhaps I can keep it as a 1x/week indulgence.

Dinner: Second half of the southwestern egg wrap + potatoes. I am trying to buy a home of my own this month — first time attempting to do so on my own after years of renting. I am in the thick of home-buying/mortgage financing woes. Got some really stressful and unexpected news on the mortgage front last night that caused a tiny little panic attack. It felt great to just stay present with myself instead of offloading my stress into some Chips Ahoy. That's exactly the kind of outcome I'm looking for with this practice. Even though my eating isn't truly Whole 30, my overall practices of eating and managing life are healthier than in the past.

Archived