Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

I am going to make my second attempt at the Whole30 starting Wednesday, February 18th. Yes, Lent is longer than 30 days but that will give me time for incremental re-introductions.

My first attempt at the Whole30 was last November, & while I didn't complete it, I had a great support group here in the forums. I'd love to find another group for this attempt. Who's in?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am in Day 2 of my first Whole30 and if this goes well I am hoping to just keep it going. I have been Gluten free due to Celiac for the last almost 5 years so cutting the rest out has proven to be a bit of a challenge but I am trying to stay optimistic as the sugar withdrawl keeps pounding in my head.

I was thinking of starting sooner but I'm still so unprepared (or making excuses). I ordered the book and in a way I would like to read it first. And I wanted to do Lent this year even though I'm not catholic (was raised in a catholic home) or any particular religion I do consider myself a Christian and attend a pentecostal church. I'm so scared to attempt this... Mostly because I fear I'll just give up. I really want to change my relationship with food and lead a healthier lifestyle and hopefully lose weight in the process. I think having a support group would be a great help though!!

RenVer, I didn't complete my first try at a Whole30 last November - but I still learned so much that I can't consider it a complete failure. So relax a bit - even if you don't make it 30 days, I am pretty sure you will still learn a lot.

That being said, I think the key to success is preparation! Make some weekly meal plans, complete with shopping lists! Double your recipes & freeze meals, so on nights when you just can't be asked to cook, you can microwave instead. Tell EVERYONE you're doing the Whole30, so EVERYONE will help hold you accountable.

Also: I'm not Catholic either, but Lent seems like a good time to reflect on food. I'm not planning on having a religious element to this Whole30 other than the fact that it will overlap with the Lenten season.

RenVer - The book does help, but you can start without it, the PDFs and resources have everything you need :) I really like the emails too, they're really funny as well as encouraging. Don't worry too much about whether you can finish or not, restarts are not a failure, they're a learning opportunity. They help us see where things go wrong and what we can do to avoid those situations. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, you will learn a lot either way :)

Ang-

I was also thinking that Lent would be the perfect time to start a Whole 30, so I'm very glad you started this thread.  I'm in!  The Lenten season will definitely help with will power, specially in social situations. "Oh, no thank you, I gave up sweets/alcohol/bread for Lent.")

I'm a practicing Catholic, and usually give up a favorite food during Lent.  I think a Whole 30 will add an interesting dimension to the penitential part of my Lenten observance.

Btw, I also plan to start my first W30 this Monday, Jan 12th.   It will end right before Mardi Gras weekend.  So I'll have about of week of re-introduction during MG, and then start my 2nd W30 on Ash Wednesday.

Angie

Stefani, are you planning to keep going through February? 

I may take a week off or so for Valentines and to see if I do have any new trouble foods but I may not either... I have not fully decided yet. After the pains of the first week have gone away I am happy to say I am feeling fantastic and definately have a sleep schedule down which is a first!

Ang-

I was also thinking that Lent would be the perfect time to start a Whole 30, so I'm very glad you started this thread.  I'm in!  The Lenten season will definitely help with will power, specially in social situations. "Oh, no thank you, I gave up sweets/alcohol/bread for Lent.")

I'm a practicing Catholic, and usually give up a favorite food during Lent.  I think a Whole 30 will add an interesting dimension to the penitential part of my Lenten observance.

Btw, I also plan to start my first W30 this Monday, Jan 12th.   It will end right before Mardi Gras weekend.  So I'll have about of week of re-introduction during MG, and then start my 2nd W30 on Ash Wednesday.

Angie

angledge and angie s,

I love this idea.  I am a newbie as of today.  I happen to come from England where there is zero information on Whole30 (apart from Amazon!).  I am trying to think of a good time to start and Lent/ leading up to Lent would be a great start.  I like the idea of starting before Ash Wednesday - a nice way to have cleared your head to focus on Lent.  Starting on Monday 19th would mean that Day 30 is Shrove Tuesday.  Oooo this has come at the right time!   x  

So excited to be a part of this.

Kathryn x 

Thanks praxis. I got my book yesterday and I'm excited to start reading. I'm working a night shift tonight... Hopefully it's a quiet one so I have time to read!! I kinda want to start the whole30 now so I don't talk myself out of it by Lent but I like the idea of doing it for Lent. Ha! Sometimes I make things more complicated than they have to be ;)

RenVer, you can start making some changes right away if you're eager to get started - try some new recipes, see how you like your coffee black, try making a batch of bone broth. Plan out a week of meals, make a shopping list, maybe start clearing some non-compliant stuff out of your pantry.

If you fiddle with things for a few weeks, I think you will be in great shape to commit full-on come February 18th!

Just my $0.02.

Yeah that's a good idea..... Time flies anyway so maybe it won't feel like it's taking forever. I got to read quite a bit tonight and everything they say in their book makes so much sence. I would recommend it to everyone!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!  I'm new to Whole30 as well and I was thinking of doing it over Lent, so I'd love to join!  I am also not super religious (was raised Catholic), but I find this time of year to be especially difficult for motivation and I like the time frame and philosophical meaning behind Lent.  I read the book this week have been eating mostly Whole30 for the past week just to try it and I find that I feel absolutely amazing so far.  I wanted to give myself a sort of troubleshooting/break-in time because I'm re-introducing meat into my diet and I didn't know how I'd stomach it and I also wanted to get more prepared and get rid of (aka- eat) some of the foods in my house that have a little bit of added sugar or oils.  I have to say coming from a legume and whole grain heavy diet, the amount of fat does freak me out but I'm trying to take a leap of faith and try it out!

Archived