Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

Finally found a store where they sell sugar free bacon yay! Chicken thighs with bacon are roasting now, will serve with some roasted asparagus. Tomorrow is preparation day for me, it is definietly taking some time to it but I hope with time will get better.

No major headaches, but I am missing sweets and Starbucks. Sometimes shopping can be paintful when I walk by bread isles or sweets. But I am still on wagon. Day 4 is almost over. 26 to go.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had a crazy day but I'm feeling much better and not sick like my kids. However, last night I had a horrible nightmare that I was doing something and automatically started eating the candy next to me. It took me half the day in my dream to realize that I was eating sugar and I wasn't supposed to be eating sugar and that I just ruined my diet. I was so relieved to wake up and find out it was a dream. Hopefully sleep eating wasn't involved because then I'd be up a creek without a paddle.

HI All 

I am on day 8 and panicking 

I know I have been a bit overweight recently (about 10 pounds) 

BUT

Went to put on trousers yesterday and really couldn't get them on - TOTALLY NOT HAPPENING 

So upset - Hope it passes quickly as I cant afford a new wardrobe and I love my pink jeans

HELP !!!

HI All 

BUT

Went to put on trousers yesterday and really couldn't get them on - TOTALLY NOT HAPPENING 

So upset - Hope it passes quickly as I cant afford a new wardrobe and I love my pink jeans

HELP !!!

Breathe.  :) 

Sounds like you're right on track of what many folks experience on day 8, per the timeline. http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

Good Morning, Day Five!  The sleeping was really good last night after two nights of restless/interrupted/sleepless nights.  Is there any evidence of poor sleep as my body adjusts from a Sugar/Carb-Induced Sleep to a Whole30 Sleep?  

Thanks to the forum for good recipe suggestions and encouragement - appreciating you often :)  

HI All 

BUT

HELP !!!

Zoe, that happened to me in my first W30.  Had a pair of jeans that were really tight (couldn't zip them)...I waited until the 2nd or 3rd week to try them back on, and I swear, I think they were TIGHTER.  I just about cried.  But I stuck with it and by the end of the W30, I could comfortably wear them.  Now, they're snug again but I'm starting in a BETTER place this time...now, they're just snug versus unzippable. LOL  I'm on day 5.

Hi GFChris & cinagain

Thanks for the feedback & words of encouragement

I had read this on the timeline but as it didn't happen to me last time so took me completely by surprise

I am petite so really notice my clothes not fitting / feeling too tight

Zoe

Day 5 Success Story - hope it inspires just one who is struggling, as I so often get encouraged just when I need it from this tribe.  Thank You!

It's 20 degrees in KC, and I grabbed my wool coat enroute to the garage for the drive to church.  It's the same wool coat I wore last Sunday, with the same jeans from last Sunday.  I'm a pear shape, carrying a significant "tire" belly.  Last Sunday i was angry with myself that as I snapped up this favorite coat, it was more than snug around the tire.  I could get it closed, but it felt like it was pulling - opted to leave the coat open below the mid-chest, added a beautiful pink scarf to keep people looking at my face, not my body. 

Today, I began to button up against the cold, and found that the coat hung more loosely around the tire.  It caused me pause.  Caused me to double check  - as if the wool coat elf sneaked into my closet and replaced it!  Able to snap it up easily, or have it hang perfectly, as if it were buttoned up.

Hallelujah!  4 days done, 26 to go.  I'm inspired.

Day Five. Kill All The Things arrived.  I had a stressful day today, getting my partner out the door for a three-month work assignment. (KILL!) It's snowing in Denver this weekend - dog decided she didn't like the snow, peed in the house. (KILL! KILL!) A client called me (on a Sunday) with a ridiculous work request. (KILL! KILL! KILL!)

However, I did not kill anyone. I might have yelled at the dog a lot. But I'm hanging tough, eating some sweet potato with my dinner, & repeating the mantra, "This too shall pass....."

How's everyone else doing?

Day 5 has gone well for me but I am sympathetic to Zoe about the weight or feeling of it. I'm only at Day 5 but just don't feel like I'm dropping. I, too, don't have much to lose and that is by no means the main reason for doing this, but would be a nice side effect :) 

Sheri Q - my sleep improves tremendously when I eat clean so will be interesting to see what others say about your sleep patterns.

jana_alanda - what a relief for you to wake up and realize you hadn't eaten the sugar !

Roast duck (nom nom recipe), spiralized butternut squash, roasted brussel sprouts and salad coming up for supper. Should make for some nice leftovers and I'm looking forward to that duck fat for future use!

See everyone tomorrow on Day 6!

Day 5-definietly feeling Kill all the things phase. Thoughts like why am I putting myself through this, being mad at world, craving big time frozen yogurt. Why? Why? lol thank goodness the day is almost over and waiting for some czech meatballs with some cauliflower. Definietly feeling tired today. But I am looking so forward to day 30 and awesome results of feeling accomplished of doing something good for my body :-)

Was today a kill all things day?  LOL  I slept in late...I do remember being extra tired during the first week of my first W30, so I'm indulging in extra sleep this time around.  My children are 19 and 17 and I work from home, so sleeping is easy. :D  Then spent 4+ hrs cleaning a basement that desperately needed it.  Not "tiger blood" that people mention (never did experience that first time around), but when I'm trying to keep my mind OFF the foods I'm craving, it's best to keep myself busy.

Tomorrow, I'm making curry meatballs.  Can't wait!

HI all 

I am on day 9 and doing fine - haven't been through the KILL phase - but have a "WHOLE 30" NEW PHASE - PUFFA FISH !! - sorry my wee joke to get me through 

joyce27 - I haven't noticed any changes in sleep - but I have 3 kids and a husband and work full time so I am out for the count at bedtime anyway

jana_alana - I understand being wrecked with kids - it will get easier - the nice thing about 3 kids is you just have to let go of one of them at a time so one will always have to be responsible

Speaking of energy - I never got the tigers blood last time either but I was energised enough yesterday too clean all the windows in the house - and cook a dinner for 9 !!

Good luck for today

Zoe

Day 6.

My timeline feels waaay off, but I'm doing okay.

Last time I tried, everything up to when I quit (day 11, typical) was to the letter of the timeline, but I hadn't found the timeline at this point!

I had dreams about banned foods on day 2 and 3, my clothes were tighter yesterday and today, and I thought I'd avoided the headachy stage but its arrived pretty aggressively today.

I had a real emotional blow with work this weekend, a huge goal ive been working for months for fell through, and was so so close to reaching for the cookies and having a binge to make myself feel better, but I managed not to.

I've got a ton of meals waiting for me in the freezer which I'm so grateful for as I'm feeling exhausted and can't quite bring myself to cook!

Happy day 6 everyone, keep going!

It was lucky timing that days 4-5 were the weekend and so I didn't want to kill anyone. Usually I get very irritated with people in the office for eating biscuits all day, audibly eating their lunch at their desks, typing loudly and having loud mobile phone conversations. I'm not really well suited to an open plan office environment!

Last time I don't think I found the timeline particularly applicable, or at least in a more subtle way. I did have more energy towards the end but wouldn't have called it 'tiger blood'.

Got invited to a Hungarian party next weekend. Best bring my own goulash...

Day 6, Here we go another work week ahead. Feeling more prepared as I was able to spend a good amount of time finding and making Whole 30 compliant recipes-mayo didn't work out so well unless some miraculous happened over night (haven't checked this am). Good luck to all and know that you are giving yourself a wonderful gift-optimal health.

Hi fellow Whole30 friends,

I am on day 7 and feel like I have hit the "kill kill kill" on top of my workout energy plummetting even further?? Can I go any lower?  Plus since I can't find compliant bacon, that is all I am craving!!  Praying to get through!  I will not quit!  This is my first and am doing it for Lent, but wow!!!  Loving the food, though!!  Good luck today to all!  

Still hanging in there. Had a big family gathering yesterday, complete with lots and lots of excellent non compliant food, drinks and dessert....BUT I've learned from past experience and offered to bring a green salad and a crockpot of meatballs, so I was fine. Very proud of myself. I really struggle with not overeating in social situations when I'm uncomfortable, so it makes me feel good to accomplish this. I did come home and eat a bowl of raisins and almond butter, which while compliant was stupid and unnecessary. I talked myself into it because I was so moderate avoiding all the desserts at the party....Sigh. This is why I'm doing this again :) I'm going to make a 'mini-whole 7' inside  this whole 30: This week (starting today, Monday) I am not going to snack at all-no matter what, especially munching while I'm prepping meals. Even if it feels like it will kill me :) The only exception is of course riding.

So I will add that to my daily post.

The thing is, what I choose for meals IS pretty balanced, but I undo it by snacking before hand (so I'm not hungry for the actual meal) or snacking afterward.

Zoe, great job rolling with the punches on the jeans not fitting. That takes some serious emotional toughness. I had that happen my first time around ( I don't have much to lose either, though some, certainly) and in the end I did end up in a better place than I started, not worse :)

Carry on everyone!

I feel good except for a huge headache, which may be sugar withdrawls or may be our weather change.

How is the headache  now? Mine was a two day-er, buyt woke up great this morning.  Hope you are feeling good too!

Day 5 Success Story - hope it inspires just one who is struggling, as I so often get encouraged just when I need it from this tribe.  Thank You!

It's 20 degrees in KC, and I grabbed my wool coat enroute to the garage for the drive to church.  It's the same wool coat I wore last Sunday, with the same jeans from last Sunday.  I'm a pear shape, carrying a significant "tire" belly.  Last Sunday i was angry with myself that as I snapped up this favorite coat, it was more than snug around the tire.  I could get it closed, but it felt like it was pulling - opted to leave the coat open below the mid-chest, added a beautiful pink scarf to keep people looking at my face, not my body. 

Today, I began to button up against the cold, and found that the coat hung more loosely around the tire.  It caused me pause.  Caused me to double check  - as if the wool coat elf sneaked into my closet and replaced it!  Able to snap it up easily, or have it hang perfectly, as if it were buttoned up.

Hallelujah!  4 days done, 26 to go.  I'm inspired.

Inspiring?  Heck Yeah!  Fantastic feeling for you! What terrific motivation for you to keep going.  Stay warm!

I don't seem to be following the timeline, either. The other couple of times I have attempted a Whole30, I felt I was pretty much on track with the anticipated physical and emotional feelings, but this time feels off. Even though I can happily say no slips, no cheats. I'm going to start logging my food with the Whole30 log area in the forum. That accountability, if only to myself, may make me feel like I'm on track. I have snacked on compliant foods but feel that I want to do away with the snacking.

The log forum says it is not moderated yet after reading a bunch of the logs, it seems to me that moderators are commenting. Not that it matters since my goal is to stay complaint but just wondered if anyone else had thoughts on that. Maybe a moderator on this forum could comment?

Congratulations Jazmin on not caving in despite the work disappointment! That is just the kind of situation that would tend to take me down. Formerly I have used a lot of self-talk like I "deserve" to have that glass of wine or that cookie or treat, whatever. That is part of my reason for doing this because I want to feel more in control of my actions and grow up in the way I respond to life.

My roasted duck became a crockpot duck last night when I realized it was not getting cooked :( That's okay as I will pick off the meat which we will enjoy for supper and I will make stock with the bones. I had scrambled eggs this morning with mushrooms, red peppers, and chopped brussel sprouts cooked in a tiny amount of duck fat and then topped with a little dollop of sunshine sauce. It was good!

So far, though, I haven't felt tempted to go off plan at all and at Day 6 that is pretty good news for me. Hang in there everyone!

• Administrators

The log forum says it is not moderated yet after reading a bunch of the logs, it seems to me that moderators are commenting. Not that it matters since my goal is to stay complaint but just wondered if anyone else had thoughts on that. Maybe a moderator on this forum could comment?

The personal logs are not moderated like the rest of the forum and what that means is that every post in the rest of the forum will be read and reviewed by a moderator and commented on as needed. There is no guarantee that your personal log will be read or reviewed by a moderator although if you want it to be, you can send a PM to your favourite moderator and they will come in and give you a hand. If you are seeing moderator comments in the personal logs it is usually because the owner either sent a request for help or that they mentioned their log and wanting feedback in another thread.

I'm not sure if it is from the shoes (heels) I wore the other day, but I have been having leg cramps.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Other than that, just a mild headache the first couple of days but that has now passed.  I'm drinking a lot less caffeine now so that was probably the cause.  Thanks for any advice!

Archived