Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sleeping well, too, as are many who have posted and I will surely be happy when the super energy kicks in!

Gabi23--I'm with you on the nuts. I swore off them after my first couple of days but it hit me today when I got home from work and was so hungry. I took some good advice and had a mini meal with some leftover cooked poultry and some red pepper strips dipped in avocado dressing but I was still craving something so had a small spoonful of homemade almond butter. It tasted great but I just can't be doing that often or at all if I'm to get in control of these cravings. Anyway, I was so hungry and there's no reason not to eat supper early with DH going on a business dinner this evening. So I just went ahead and had my regular meal that was compliant and factored in my mini-meal so I didn't have as much. Now I'm feeling much better. I'll have some herbal tea later this evening.

All in all it's been a good day. Angledge--you go girl with that swim practice! I'm headed outside, bundled up to walk for 30 minutes or so.

I'm going to have to try that cheater pulled pork! I've read so many good things about it!

Yes, Happy Day 7! And yes, I get hungry, too. But part of this journey for me is trying to figure out how much is enough at each meal to carry me close to the next one.

Karen320-I would enjoy seeing the recipe for the breakfast casserole if you have a link to it. And I agree about the vino. It will be a treat for me, too, but your comment about being 100% present is something I am liking, too.

New at the forum- hoping this works-I think this is the link for the breakfast casserole. Enjoy.

http://www.fromthiskitchentable.com/sweet-potato-breakfast-casserole/

Hi Everyone! Seems like we're getting there, bit by bit. It's been a crazy week, but I've found I'm back to happily drinking water (hot or cold), so that is great--for me, it is! Also today did some concerted activity, so that is good. I need to keep that going, in order for this time round to be what I was looking for: a total reset. 

Take care, all--until tomorrow!  :)

Hi everyone! 7th day! Yay!!Thank you for all responses to my breakfast/pancake question. Today, I decided to have non-egg breakfast and had leftover ground beef and one small sweet potato and bulletproof coffee. I had to say I felt hungry in about two hours but did not snack. Lunch was half of bell pepper with ground beef, some spinach, half avocado and apple. After lunch I had some indigestion, had to go to bathroom few times. Thinking maybe apple did it. After lunch still felt hungry but no snacking and for dinner I had whole30 complaint sausage with veggies and now feeling hungry. Hunger was not a problem for me earlier. I will have some eggs tomorrow for breakfast and see if hunger persists. Overall, feeling not bloated, somehow lighter and I am not crushing in the afternoons like I used to. I also noticed I sleep so much better.

Gabi23-happy birthday. Bravo for not having cake! Thats huge will power!

Keep up a good work everyone!!

Lent.

When someone fasts or refrains from food for spiritual reasons....weight loss does not normally enter in to the picture, does it?

I feel that taking care of my body is a spiritual thing. So yes, weight loss does enter into it for me. I know that I am at risk for diabetes and heart disease if I continue to gain 10 pounds every year.

But there are other reasons to fast.

*SIGH* So, I didn't make it to swim practice last night. There's a long story as to why, which I will summarize in one word: Life. If anyone really wants to hear the long version of the story, message me & I'll tell you. 

The rest of yesterday was rough too - I had no energy or attention span at work, I snacked my way through the afternoon, & dinner (at a restaurant) was difficult. I didn't follow my bedtime routine last night & consequently I didn't sleep well. I'm at my desk now, drinking tea, not hungry for breakfast, bleary-eyed.

I think this is partly normal Whole30 Day 6-9 & partly a response to Life being disruptive. I'm going to finish this post, then go make breakfast & eat it, even though I'm not in the mood. Today's a good day to get back on track, right?

Angledge 

I agree with AggieS - hang in there

I am on Day 10 (I think) maybe 11 and had a bizarre feeling that I could smell cup cakes earlier - something I haven't eaten in years

I also didn't sleep at all well last night and had a strange dream about food - but not about me - my 3rd boy (the confirmed coeliac) was at a party, and the eating arrangements changed, so he had no food, and had to sit there while everyone else ate, I could see him, I knew he was upset but I couldn't get to him - it made me feel crap - it still is upsetting me but I don't know why

It is a new day - make it work 

:D

I'm in the same boat. I've been reading the thread and seeing people talk about being hungry, mad, etc and I didn't really experience those issues. The first 6 days were smooth sailing. But yesterday was a train wreck. I didn't eat full meals, grazed throughout the day, was hungry and actually had cravings. The cravings though might have been from friends talking about coffee and chocolate. UGH. I stayed compliant and snacked on cashews and bananas. But it was a rough day.

I also noticed that I have an extreme appetite. When I'm hungry, I am hungry. When I'm full, I feel like I over ate. Is anyone else feeling this?

• Administrators

The first 6 days were smooth sailing. But yesterday was a train wreck. I didn't eat full meals, grazed throughout the day, was hungry and actually had cravings. 

This is one of The Great Truths and so great that you have noticed it this early on.  Eating full, balanced meals kills cravings and snacky-needs.  Not eating full, balanced meals allows room for your snack and sugar dragons to get a foothold!

:)

I read the book, but as a newbie am struglling with day 10 still feeling tired and if I am feeling like I am gaining anything from this right now.  I do like the food, but feel terrible, and like others don't think I am losing weight.  Trying to be optimistic that energy will come.

• Administrators

I read the book, but as a newbie am struglling with day 10 still feeling tired and if I am feeling like I am gaining anything from this right now.  I do like the food, but feel terrible, and like others don't think I am losing weight.  Trying to be optimistic that energy will come.

Feel free to post a few days worth of your typical food consumption (including portions as they relate to our template/your hands), fluids, stress, exercise etc.  Include anything you think might be relevant (nursing, pregnancy, autoimmune conditions etc) and we can take a look and see if there are any tweaks that we can suggest.

I think, maybe, that the bigger the change in eating/lifestyle this is, the greater the emotional and physical roller coaster.  My first W30, my first week was horrible.  Continual headache, feeling absolutely exhausted, had the kill all things day, the food dreams, you name it, it kind of sucked. I remembering really fighting cravings (especially giving up my sweet tea) and desperately wanting caffeine.  I know caffeine isn't off-limits, but for me, without sugar in my tea or very light, sweet coffee, I don't much care for either one...so when the sugar was out, so was the caffeine.

So far (knock on wood, fingers crossed, etc), this one has been easier.  Maybe because I'd already accepted that sweet tea is sort of my addiction and if I choose to drink it, I'm also choosing, at some point, to have to do without.  Same for any sugar dragon food.  I'm ok with diary, wheat/gluten, legumes...it's the sugar that gets me.  And yes, once I start removing all of it, it gets easier.

For everyone who is struggling, hang in there!  I think week 2 and 3 are a bit easier and then (again, for me), week 4 is a bit hard because it just drags on.  LOL  By week 4, I'm tired of thinking about food, what I'm going to fix, when I need to eat, etc, and I'm ready to loosen things up a bit. ;)

Day 7-- 8am. RPM- Spinning class-45 minutes

M1- sweetpotoes in coconut oil, sausage, three eggs  

M2- Pork burger, salad with tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, carrots, and homemade ranch from book, fried white potatoes in avocado oil. Cantaloupe- 1 cup  1:30pm Teach RPM Spinning class 55minutes

M3 Spaghetti sauce with ground beef, onion, garlic, seasonings, tomato paste, and tomatos diced in juices over speghetti squash, asparagus wrapped in proscuito, salad as above.

Day 8 Teach spinning  5:30am- 1 hour

M1 sweetpotoes in coconut oil, sausage, three eggs

M2Spaghetti sauce with ground beef, onion, garlic, seasonings, tomato paste, and tomatos diced in juices over speghetti squash, and salad as above, mandarin orange

M3  Cheater pork stew, salad, cantaloupe

Day 9 

M1 Apple/raisin/nut porridge- you noted was not compliant (oops)

11:30am teach spinning 1 hour 

M2 ground beef burger made with chopped mushrooms and red onion added, tomato paste on top.  sweet potato with nutmeg, cinammon, walnuts and coconut oil.

Snack- hand full of cashews.

5:30pm- teach spinning 55 minutes

M3--Pork ribs in crockpot with seasonings and apple, sweet potato as above, salad as above, 1/2 portion of apple porridge.

I drink approximately 100 ounces of water per day that includes what I drink while working out.  I don't drink any other drinks now that I can't have sweetners.  I had mentioned I really miss Spark from Advocare.  I can't have that.  So water it is!  Any ideas welcome! 

Thanks ladyshanny for your help!

Day 8,

Today has been AWFUL. I have been angry at anything and anyone that dared to be in my line of vision today. Someone makes a joke? They're trying to humiliate me. Someone says something nice? They're being patronising.

I have just been a nightmare to be around today. I didn't go to uni, I was late for training, I forgot my lunch and I let everyone know about it...

I wanted to quit more than anything today, I went to the cinema and just wanted a pick n mix, luckily I've got a good friend who is both putting up with my mood swings and keeping me on track!

Gonna get to bed asap and hope I wake up in a better mood!! Power through everyone!

M2- Pork burger, salad with tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, carrots, and homemade ranch from book, fried white potatoes in avocado oil. Cantaloupe- 1 cup  1:30pm Teach RPM Spinning class 55minutes

M3 Spaghetti sauce with ground beef, onion, garlic, seasonings, tomato paste, and tomatos diced in juices over speghetti squash, asparagus wrapped in proscuito, salad as above.

M2Spaghetti sauce with ground beef, onion, garlic, seasonings, tomato paste, and tomatos diced in juices over speghetti squash, and salad as above, mandarin orange

Day 9 

M2 ground beef burger made with chopped mushrooms and red onion added, tomato paste on top.  sweet potato with nutmeg, cinammon, walnuts and coconut oil.

M3--Pork ribs in crockpot with seasonings and apple, sweet potato as above, salad as above, 1/2 portion of apple porridge.

I drink approximately 100 ounces of water per day that includes what I drink while working out.  I don't drink any other drinks now that I can't have sweetners.  I had mentioned I really miss Spark from Advocare.  I can't have that.  So water it is!  Any ideas welcome! 

Overall, things look good. The porridge is better as a side-dish (how you had it on meal 3 at day 9), vs. a meal.

The recommended snack is a mini-meal of protein, veg and fat.  Nuts are a fat source.

I wonder if preWO fuel of protein and fat before your spinning class would help you?

For other drink options, check out this article.

I am sleeping so well! But I am so spacey all day. The lack of mental focus is really annoying. I have not experienced the anger that has been mentioned. Just this mental fog.

That could be a sign that you're not eating enough and/or staying sufficiently hydrated. If you'd like to post 2-3 days worth of your food log, including daily water consumption, we can see if you're on the right track.

• Administrators

Day 9 

I know RPM and it is not a cake walk, that is one or two a day of an intense interval training class.  You could probably afford to eat more, especially before and after workout.

Ruthinthedesert---I, too, have noticed a lack of focus and had wondered about the hydration, then GJChris made that comment, so I'm going to consciously increase my water intake (drinking a glass right now!) and see if that helps. Or maybe I'm just in that early stage where everything is changing including my mental state and it will clear up as I continue on. I also feel like I am so full when I finish eating but then so hungry like Moorefun mentioned. I did pack a mini-meal today and had it about 3PM and that helped, but I will be eating an early supper. Seems like once the evening meal is over, I am really good for the night. This morning I was very hungry when I got up but that is a good feeling, too, like my stomach has emptied and is ready for the next meal.

Tomorrow will be Day 9 and the furthest I have ever gotten on an attempted Whole30, so that alone is keeping me motivated to surpass and then make it to the finish line.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to post this recipe: http://theprimepursuit.com/2012/02/06/who-is-sick-of-eggs-for-breakfast/ I made it over the weekend, and it's really good.  It has eggs in it, but doesn't taste eggy (for those who are sick of eggs).  I'm on my second Whole 30, and aside from a few minor hiccups, it's going pretty well.  I did have to face down some Girl Scout cookies (AGAIN!) today when a coworker brought them to a meeting and set them down on the table right in front of me, but I was firm in my resolve.  I also had my first food dream last night.  Stay strong everyone.

Amanda

Hey guys...haven't been posting super regularly, but still here. Hang in there Jazmin and Agledge. I don't know about other gals but sometimes 'girl stuff' related to cycles can really throw a loop in things, related to mood. At least I've noticed it. It think prior to W30 I took the edge off with junk carbs, which made me feel miserable afterwards, but alleviated the bad mood in the moment. So pat yourself on the back that your power through these rough times under your own steam, not depending on edibles to get you through!

Archived