Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

Hang in there, everyone!  We are almost there!  I had a co-worker (one of my bosses) bring in homemade cinnamon rolls yesterday.  I was offered one and said, "No thanks."  I was told to eat one and if I didn't, I could be written up for being insubordinate.  Of course he was kidding, but that only made my resolve stronger.  Today a dozen Krispy Kremes were next to my desk on the counter and once again, steely resolve to drink a big glass of water and carry on.  I keep telling myself, "nothing tastes as good as healthy feels."  For those struggling -- keep fighting the good fight.  It's worth it! :D

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stravajunkie, that is an excellent point about using your off hand to eat. I went to Europe on a business trip this fall.  (I have only been there briefly once before as a tourist.)  All my food was wonderful and it was always shared with colleagues.  It started off with me being done almost after the plate was set down and my colleagues chit-chatting and enjoy every morsel of food bite by bite.  I was struck by this and did not want to display bad manners, so tried very had to slow down.  next, what I noticed is that they eat everything (except soup) with a knife and fork.  I pretty much use only a fork and work like a knife when needed.  So, I tried to eat everything with knife and fork....which means cutting & forking up a slice of deli meat, a piece of toast (I know not compliant for Whole30 but homemade, fresh there!), French fries, etc besides normal (to me) things like a potato & steak.  This meant using my off hand for the fork and on hand with knife. Wow.  I slowed down to the last one eating because I was clumsy.  I really did enjoy the atmosphere and I enjoyed the new way of eating.  I greatly improved over the week and I maintained my skills for a few days back in the U.S.   So, thanks for this great reminder of how to slow down and really enjoy the nourishment of your meal and the time you are putting into this effort with whoever is there to share with you.

I woke up feeling less bloated and trim like I think I always should be (if I ate like this all the time).  Not sure if this is the normal timeline thing?  Anyone else turning a corner on bloating/puffiness feeling?

Because I am doing this for Lent, I am not halfway done. :)

But, two weeks into this, I am down 4 pounds. (I know, we are not supposed to weigh ourselves, but I do weigh every day. It is part of my routine. And I am committed to this for Lent, so the scale is not going to change my participation. LOL) I am sleeping really well, I am feeling sooooooo calm, and i am wearing a pair of jeans I had not been able to wear. wooo hoo. :)

I have a work outing next week and all they have to offer are sandwiches. I requested a grilled chicken salad but the organizer is not sure if they will have it at the place of the outing. Do you guys have ideas of something I can bring just in case? I was thinking on getting one of those Rx bars, and some raw veggies. I don't know what else to bring that doesn't require heating/cooling, and that I don't have to carry a plastic container. 

We are going cavern zip lining by the way. :)

Because I am doing this for Lent, I am not halfway done. :)

But, two weeks into this, I am down 4 pounds. (I know, we are not supposed to weigh ourselves, but I do weigh every day. It is part of my routine. And I am committed to this for Lent, so the scale is not going to change my participation. LOL) I am sleeping really well, I am feeling sooooooo calm, and i am wearing a pair of jeans I had not been able to wear. wooo hoo. :)

Please please please hide the scale. Not weighing yourself is a fundamental rule of the program. Give the program a true 100% commitment, treat it as an experiment, and when you're done, decide whether you need the scale daily anymore.

Angledge, the recipe is here: http://whole30.com/2014/11/best-whole30-recipes-baby-cold-outside/

I love the stuff. :)  I put extra sausage in it, and reduce the amount of water and broth, but that's because I usually eat it as a meal.  So it's kind of hard to get enough protein and veggies with so much liquid.  But I love the flavor and the coconut milk gives it a nice richness.

Sunday, Day 12. Looking for a great chili recipe? Check out Paleo Crock Pot Chili Recipe http://paleonewbie.com/paleo-crockpot-chili-recipe. It's got a pretty good kick so if you like a more mild chili you might want to cut back on the jalapeño or cayenne. Have a great day and I hope you all have a good plan heading into our 3rd week. Planning and prep has been a major key for this to work-for me. Food is so yummy, feels good to be in charge of it as opposed to it (food) having it's hooks in me. Sugar hook, grain hook, wine hook be gone-I want to be the one that got away-swim with me to freedom. Corny, I know. ☺️

Thank you so much for this recipe. I made it yesterday and it was so yummy! This is definietly a keeper :-)

Please please please hide the scale. Not weighing yourself is a fundamental rule of the program. Give the program a true 100% commitment, treat it as an experiment, and when you're done, decide whether you need the scale daily anymore.

The rest of the program makes sense to me. This rule does not. Following rules blindly is not my strong point. LOL Perhaps if this rule were explained with a logical reason behind it, it would be easier to follow.

I have tried that not weighing thing for a season, and it was wildly unsuccessful.

I would not be half as happy with Whole30 or feel half as successful if I didn't know it was working. I would not deprive myself of this joy and knowledge of success.

The rest of the program makes sense to me. This rule does not. Following rules blindly is not my strong point. LOL I have tried that not weighing thing. I gain weight.

I would not be half as happy with Whole30 or feel half as successful if I didn't know it was working.

Well, then the honest truth is, you're not doing a Whole30. It's that black and white. The Whole30 is not about blindly following rules, and it's about SO MUCH MORE than potentially losing weight to decide whether it's "working."  It's about changing your relationship with food and the scale, among other things.  Check this article out - think this woman feels it's working? http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

I encourage you to notice the non-scale victories as you go through the process: that's really more of what it's about.

You're an adult and get to decide next steps. I sincerely wish you the best on your journey.

I have learned that for me, the scale is a helpful tool to alert me when my portions are too big or I forget to keep a healthy water intake. It is also a source of joy. I made a commitment to follow the eating plan until Easter. Whether the scale moved or not, I would still follow the eating plan. :)

I would not have given up my whisky and potato chips simply to sleep better and have fewer headaches. Losing weight, getting back into favorite clothes, lowering my risk of diabetes by losing weight...those are huge incentives!

So, sometimes it's just easier to spit out the truth - no matter.  I'm sad/happy to report that I've successfully completed Day 3.  I could make excuses and tell stories, but the full truth is that I was on plan for 1 day when I started.  I chose to keep my Diet Coke habit alive, and succumbed to that habit on Day 2 - "just a little won't hurt."  I counted days 2-11 as "on plan" when each day I was not.  I'm finished beating myself up, and running that list of sugar carbs through my mind over and over.

Here's to Day 4 - for real :>

Thanks for all the great posts - you peeps are inspiring!

• Administrators

So, sometimes it's just easier to spit out the truth - no matter.  I'm sad/happy to report that I've successfully completed Day 3.  I could make excuses and tell stories, but the full truth is that I was on plan for 1 day when I started.  I chose to keep my Diet Coke habit alive, and succumbed to that habit on Day 2 - "just a little won't hurt."  I counted days 2-11 as "on plan" when each day I was not.  I'm finished beating myself up, and running that list of sugar carbs through my mind over and over.

Here's to Day 4 - for real :>

Thanks for all the great posts - you peeps are inspiring!

GOOD FOR YOU!  Don't beat yourself up, you learned something and then made a decision to start anew and kick the Diet Coke to the curb for 30 days.  That stuff is engineered to make you want it.  They bank on people not being able to give it up.  They tweak and test and make sure that their formulation is addictive as possible.  They make sure that it hits your brain in exactly the right spot at exactly the right velocity.  They are evil and they don't care about you, they want your money.

YOU care about you and you want your health.  Understand that you are going to have to break that Diet Coke addiction and it's going to be a bit hard and will not feel good.  But at the end? YOU win.  Whole30 on, Sheri!!  :wub:

I have learned that for me, the scale is a helpful tool to alert me when my portions are too big or I forget to keep a healthy water intake. 

With my next set of suggestions, I'm coming from a place of seeking to help you get the most from your experience.

If you haven't done so already, I recommend to start tuning into your body's satiety signals.  Eat mindfully: beginning with sitting at a dining table. At the start of a meal, look at the food on your plate, smell the food.  As you eat, chew slowly and notice the taste and texture. Notice when you are pleasantly full. Pay attention to how you feel 4-5 hours after completing a meal.  Notice when you're thirsty, and how you feel after you drink water. Use a timer/reminder on your phone to remind you to drink water throughout the day.

I have learned that for me, the scale is a helpful tool to alert me when my portions are too big or I forget to keep a healthy water intake. It is also a source of joy. I made a commitment to follow the eating plan until Easter. Whether the scale moved or not, I would still follow the eating plan. :)

I would not have given up my whisky and potato chips simply to sleep better and have fewer headaches. Losing weight, getting back into favorite clothes, lowering my risk of diabetes by losing weight...those are huge incentives!

Ruth, I'm addressing this because I think it's a helpful thing to discuss for many people.  So I'm not trying to change your mind or criticize you...just putting these things out there for discussion, k?

There is quite a bit wrong with the statement that weighing is a source of joy for you.  GFChris is right on target with that link about scale addiction.  It's a NUMBER.  A number should never be your reference for joy or happiness.  Even if it's a number such as dollar signs in your bank account...at least, that's a "real" number.  As in, with enough savings, you can retire, or buy a car...something tangible.  But, EVEN THEN, our happiness and joy should be intrinsic...not dictated by a number.

The number on a scale though?  It lies.  Look at the link GFChris sent.  A fit, healthy 155 can look tremendously different than an unhealthy 155.  It's unfortunate that our society often values thinness over health, but it does.  When young girls see the runway models with skin on bones, no muscle tone, etc, they're being taught to value that look when some of those girls are very UNhealthy.

So when you say that you're following the eating plan but the SCALE alerts you to having portions too big...do you understand how that is NOT Whole 30?  Whole 30 is about resetting your metabolism and hormones, it's about a healthier relationship with food, it's about LISTENING to your body to tell you when your portion sizes are too small or too big.  It's NOT about blindly following a template and watching the numbers on the scale.

For you, getting a healthier relationship with food might mean eating MORE. And yes, the scale might temporarily go UP.  Have you read how many people here experience bloating and TIGHTER clothing in the first 2 weeks?  Lots.  But it's what happens over the course of the 30 days that matter...and it often takes that full 30 days to see improvement.  Your perceived tool is a very faulty one and, in this case, is measuring entirely the WRONG thing.

And I really DO understand the whole "but to be healthier, I really DO need to lose weight."   But the emphasis needs to be on HEALTH and not losing weight.  It's the only way it works long term.  Anything else is a fad or crash diet.

I fully understand that not weighing oneself is part of the Whole30 Program. I get that. I'm doing that. That being said....

One's body weight, when measured with an accurate scale, is not "just a number". It is a data point. It is one of many, many data points, true. But I think this conversation's gone a bit too far in downplaying the value of actual data. Should anyone obsess over their weight? No. But should we go to the opposite extreme & insist it's "just a number", implying that it has no value at all?

If someone has been weighing themselves every day for a long time, it can be one of many things. It can be a habit, like waking up & looking out the kitchen window while sipping a cup of tea. It can be an unhealthy obsession, that leads to disordered eating & self-hatred. But it can also be a valuable source of self-knowledge - no, really. Small data points like weight, collected & looked at over time, can reveal trends. A woman might notice how her weight fluctuated in time with her cycle. A stress eater might notice that they gained weight every time a billing period was ending at work. A shift worker might see a gain/loss in weight when switching from days to nights.

So what I'm saying is - while the Whole30 Program does indeed say not to weigh during the 30 days, it is taking it too far to say that weighing yourself is a completely worthless practice. Just my $0.02. Perhaps I'm just revealing myself to be a data nerd, but I am a scientist so it's a professional hazard.

With my next set of suggestions, I'm coming from a place of seeking to help you get the most from your experience.

If you haven't done so already, I recommend to start tuning into your body's satiety signals. Eat mindfully: beginning with sitting at a dining table. At the start of a meal, look at the food on your plate, smell the food. As you eat, chew slowly and notice the taste and texture. Notice when you are pleasantly full. Pay attention to how you feel 4-5 hours after completing a meal. Notice when you're thirsty, and how you feel after you drink water. Use a timer/reminder on your phone to remind you to drink water throughout the day.

I always eat that way. We love good whole food here. :) We savor it at the table. We talk about ingredients and see if the children can identify them.

Angledge, but if you're using scale weight *over time*, there are much better indicators for health and weight than the scale.  Very few people who step on the scale daily or weekly are really just "gathering data."  The scale has the ability to make them happy for the day or take that happiness away.  That's a problem.

I'm a nerd, too.  So yes, over time, it's interesting to see how numbers fluctuate, but ONLY if you can truly NOT let it impact your emotions OR your eating OR your exercising.  The reason I say that is because people see the scale and think "Uh-oh, it's up this morning, so I better eat light today or exercise a bit more."  Or the reverse "whoo-hoo, scale is down so I can have that dessert."  So they're basing their actions on a number that can fluctuate greatly based upon a variety of conditions (fluid intake, salt intake, hormonal fluctuations, bowel movements, workout routine, etc) to determine their WEIGHT for the day.  It doesn't take into consideration overall health at all.  So in that sense, yes, the number is worthless.

If someone then says...well, I only really pay attention to the trend over the course of a month...then weigh once/month.  That helps to show a true trend...scale weight going up or down.  Even then, I'd say that if you're willing to wait a month between weigh-ins, then use some OTHER indicator of size (and preferably, health).  Such as how your clothes fit, or if you've lost inches, or you can run further, do more push-ups, etc.

As for your examples...they really don't convince me that those are good reasons to weigh.  The stress eater needs to be focusing on managing stress and probably does NOT need the scale to know they're stress eating.  The monthly cycle...same thing.  What woman doesn't know when she's retaining fluid or wanting to eat the house due to hormones?  Put it another way...did we, as a society, weigh more or less, have more or less food related issues, before the invention of the household scale?

cckern928, the 'off hand fork' idea was actually angledge :) I'm the person with the smartphone timer by her plate :) BUT I love that idea too. Also the knife and fork thing. I think I'm going to try that today. I did use the timer yesterday and was relieved to discover that it does take me longer than 5 minutes to finish a plate of food, but not MUCH longer, and it was a large plate!

I think I'll try a combo of both your ideas today: I'm right handed but if I switch the fork to the left AND use a knife, that should really make things interesting...It's funny how much the old fashioned 'proper' manners (eat only at the table, no snacking, use your fork and knife, sip between bites, season your meals with conversation, etc. etc) lent them selves to healthy eating. Our moms and grannies didn't have it so terribly wrong after all!

I'm still working on no snacking, and earning my t-shirt. Today will be day 4.

Ruthinthedesert, I'm planning on sticking this out all the way through Lent as well. Carry on!

My gosh you guys: I'm sure this is the oldest news in the world to the rest of you, but I finally had time this morning to make that W30 compliant mayo (I tend to come from the perspective of "easier to do without than to learn new skills") Holy goat balls, that is good stuff! I can picture myself eating it on, oh, everything? I have REALLY missed cheese, and that nice creamy rich consistency shows some real promise for lots of applications. So if you HAVEN'T tried it, it's worth a shot!

I am sorry I shared my success and joy in a way that included a non Whole30 practice. I am extremely happy with this eating plan. It is working for me and my husband also. We all come to this with different histories and goals and commitments. I wish you joy in yours.

Ruth, I'll leave the discussion alone after this. 

Yes, we all come to W30 with different histories and goals and commitments.  But coming to W30 means that there is something in your life that you want to change, whether it's to slay Sugar Dragons, improve some health conditions, or to lose weight.  In other words, you're looking for answers for SOMETHING. 

Melissa and Dallas are pretty clear and concise with W30.  They say "eat this, this, and this, don't do this or this, and COMMIT to a full 30 days."  So instead, you've decided to pick and choose what rules you follow (and I don't care what you say about the scale helping you feel joy and success...this is not a negotiable W30 rule, it DOES impact your eating, your moods, etc).  The problem I see with this is not even that it's not W30...you're free to ride your own bike, but I suspect it's a pattern you've followed again and again and again.  Deciding what's best for you, picking and choosing the rules you want to follow...and yet, you're still HERE, looking for some answers to something.

So maybe it's time to change that pattern?  Risk a bit more and really be 100% compliant?  It really is only 30 days...

Archived