Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all in!  I decided to do this about a week ago and targeted Ash Wednesday as the date.  Needless to say, I'm going to have a fun weekend in front of me knowing what happens on the 18th.  I'm new to this so I'll take all the help and advice I can get on how to get through and will hopefully be able to help others along the way.  

Hello! I'm a bit uncertain still but may be doing a whole30+ starting 23rd February. Was going to do the whole Lent but looks like there's a dinner out on the 22nd which would probably make a dint in it (dim sum so impossible to stay compliant; the only thing I could do is cancel). I may start on the 18th anyway and see whether I can make it through the first weekend or not, if not, start again on the 23rd.

Having done a sugar free Lent in previous years, I find it's the time of year other people have the most sympathy for giving something up and tend to cheer you on rather than try to tempt you.

Will try to gradually clean up my diet in the next few days in preparation ... see you all on Wednesday!

Here are some of the things I've been doing to prep (I've been practicing and trouble shooting for a few weeks before committing to the 30 days):

Buy a whole organic rotisserie chicken and make chicken salad, a hearty chicken soup or to put over green salad and broth for the week (freeze half for the last half of week so it doesn't go bad).  If you're cooking for one I've found this to be a pretty great time and money saver!

Buy 2 dozen eggs from the farmers market weekly for breakfast and for cooking.

Dice onions and garlic and put in baggies for quick cooking veggies, eggs, etc.  Chop up and bag raw veggies to go with lunch or simple dinners.  Pre-bake sweet potatoes and beets to use as quick sides or snacks.

I'm trying to make some condiments although I have attempted 2 batches of paleo mayo and failed both times!  Both olive oil and macadamia nut oil with an immersion blender came out really bitter.

I made some tuna sweet potato cakes from Nom Nom Paleo that are good for quick snacks or meals- I'd like to make more easy muffin tin meals like this.

Trying to plan for leftovers as much as possible.

I'm still having trouble figuring out exactly how much meat to buy and how to prepare it, since I almost never bought or cooked meat before this.  Like, I don't think I've EVER purchased beef or pork at a grocery store (except maybe bacon) before this, believe it or not.  So any meat tips or resources would be greatly appreciated!

I think the hardest things for me to give up on Wednesday will be alcohol (giving up a bottle of wine every week can't hurt my waistline, though!), vegetable oil/preservatives when eating out and sneaky sugars (sriracha, bacon and sausage are three that have gotten me so far!)  And my veggie staples of tempeh, seitan chorizo, veganaise, soy cheese, black beans and lentils have to go to a good home.  Well, I might save the black beans and lentils for after the whole30 and see if I still want them in my diet then.  The soy and wheat stuff I can live without.

• Administrators

Thanks for your thoughts on plastic...

Question... Why wouldnt you wash plastic in the dishwasher... Isn't it safe when it cools?

Thanks,

Carol

I personally don't wash plastic in the dishwasher because I find that it warps the containers and lids and then they never fit right again.  Also, maybe it's just my own paranoia, but subjecting the plastic to high heat probably changes the composition slightly (ie, if it's changing shape, it's changing molecular structure) and I would rather not take the chance that this could cause leaching or offgassing.  But mostly because I don't like containers that the lids don't fit properly.  :)

Ytu & zoe, welcome aboard! Glad to have such a big group forming!

Wooliemama, try to follow the Whole30 meal template to figure out how much protein each meal should contain:

http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

The template says each meal should include 1 to 2 palm-sized servings of protein. If that's too much meat for you to contemplate, maybe you could make dishes that incorporate a mixture of meat & eggs. 

woolimama

cant believe you have hardly/never bought beef / pork

i have 3 bloodthirsty boys and am never out of the butchers - they love their meat and being taken into the back to see it cut up

dont worry about quantity - if you make too much freeze it for another day or put in a salad / omlette the next

i think beef is always easier to cook and is ok to be rare

pork - especially chops - can be harder to do so you might be better slow cooking pork

we all love liver in our house and it is really quick - flash fry in oil for about 1 1/2 mins per side

i agree with angledge you might want to try egg dishes - eg omlettes with parma ham / veggies / mushrooms etc to get you started

do you do fish / shellfish - there are lots of easy and quick cooking options there 

good luck - sounds like your whole 30 is going to be a learning curve of cooking 

zoe

Another Newbie here... I'm starting on the 15th but would like a little group love to help me along. I never even thought to do it as a part of Lent, but thats perfect timing. I'm already gluten free and have been working on cutting dairy out. I am hoping the Whole30 challenge will help me get rid of my sweet tooth or at least tame it!

In huge need of help and support. As closer as we get to the 18 the more I start making excuses and trying to find a way out of this. And as much as I wanna do it I am also dreading it. I swear there is a lot of mind games going on in my head right now lol!! Anyone else struggling ahead of time?

• Administrators

In huge need of help and support. As closer as we get to the 18 the more I start making excuses and trying to find a way out of this. And as much as I wanna do it I am also dreading it. I swear there is a lot of mind games going on in my head right now lol!! Anyone else struggling ahead of time?

What are you scared of? Preparation? The first few days of feeling crappy? Change in general?

I did all of my grocery shopping today so I'm ready for meal prep tomorrow. I like to cook dinners ahead for the week, so they are ready when I get home after a 10hr shift. Now I just need to chop up some veggies, pre-make salads and then some mini egg 'muffins' for breakfast on the go.

What are you scared of? Preparation? The first few days of feeling crappy? Change in general?

I'm not sure what I'm scared of honestly!! Fear of failure, of missing out on the junk food... I'm aprox 75 lbs overweight and I haven't been eating properly for more than half my life. I drink a lot of pepsi and eat chocolate bars almost on a regular basis. I know I have to change. I'm a young wife and mom to 4 kids and they deserve for me to take care of myself. I'm just scared. I thought I was gonna get everything done yesterday but I decided to wait until Monday so my food would be more fresh. Somebody from work asked me today if I would cover their shift on Monday and I said yes. But that's a 12 hour shift, I'll be done at 7pm and I'll be beat and I'll wanna go straight home. So that leaves me Tuesday to get ready and I just feel a little anxious and disorganized. Now I'm not a whiner and a "poor me" kinda person so I really hope I'm not coming off that way. I just don't know how else to explain what I'm feeling... I just have an uneasy/scared feeling.

• Administrators

I'm not sure what I'm scared of honestly!! Fear of failure, of missing out on the junk food... I'm aprox 75 lbs overweight and I haven't been eating properly for more than half my life. I drink a lot of pepsi and eat chocolate bars almost on a regular basis. I know I have to change. I'm a young wife and mom to 4 kids and they deserve for me to take care of myself. I'm just scared. I thought I was gonna get everything done yesterday but I decided to wait until Monday so my food would be more fresh. Somebody from work asked me today if I would cover their shift on Monday and I said yes. But that's a 12 hour shift, I'll be done at 7pm and I'll be beat and I'll wanna go straight home. So that leaves me Tuesday to get ready and I just feel a little anxious and disorganized. Now I'm not a whiner and a "poor me" kinda person so I really hope I'm not coming off that way. I just don't know how else to explain what I'm feeling... I just have an uneasy/scared feeling.

Sugar is a cruel mistress who is going to make you pay for your devotion. You will miss junk food...to some degree. But if you can trust us, get some protein prepared (bake some chicken thighs, hardboil a dozen eggs, cook 2# each of ground beef and ground pork) and then get some veggies prepped (sliced mushrooms, diced peppers, diced onions, bag of kale/spinach, bag of green beans etc) you'll be in awesome shape. Eating enough protein, fat and veggies at your meal (probably more than you think) and making sure to include a serving of starchy veggies with at least one meal a day will help you fifty-fold in cutting those cravings.

One other thing....you say you are overweight. Eating this way may in fact allow you to drop some weight. However.....this could also be 30 days of rebalancing your hormones, knocking down those sugar cravings/addiction etc. Please make sure your goals for the 30 days include these sorts of things that are, maybe less tangible than weight loss, but equally as important!

One last thing....as you are going along eating protein, veggies and fat, you are going to experience habit-cravings and sugar withdrawal cravings. Sometimes....in order to make lasting change......you just have to knuckle through it. You can totally do this and we are RIGHT HERE for you!!! :)

I am Brand new to Whole30 and wanting a lifestyle change! To be honest, my eating habbits are not terrible right now but I would love to be healthier! I am looking for support and the best way to start my lifestyle change! I was thinking of starting on February 18th as well!  

I would love some tips and great recipies!

Thank you!!!

-Maggie

Welcome Maggie!

RenVer, you'll be fine. Once your taste buds get used to real food you won't miss the junk. I'd been mostly eating primal before starting my first W30 and read about people doing it and thought it sounded mad. Give up sugar including sweeteners? And alcohol? And dairy? But surprisingly none of those were even difficult once I'd started. Cooking all food from fresh is an effort but you're doing the right thing by preparing a few meals on Tuesday. Don't stress about it though, just do what you can.

For me the difficult part is looking out for all sneaky the little additives, mainly nitrates and sulfites, that seem to crop up in things like olives and bacon that would otherwise be compliant. I actually need to check the olives I bought the other day are OK.

When I first posted in the group I wasn't sure I wanted to do this but the closer we get to Wednesday the more psyched up I am about starting again!

I'm preparing by learning to drink my tea black, avoiding snacking and getting into the practice of the meal template a couple of days early. And I'm going to make some ghee later today. Will also have a final weigh in and take some measurements and maybe even a 'before' picture...

EDIT: checked and nitrates are actually OK but sulfites not. I think I was confused about this last time round so wanted to correct myself and not confuse others. Good news for bacon. Bad news for the balsamic vinegar I just bought.

Archived