Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

gabi 23

Re your birthday

Just get on with it - I have just made pancakes for my kids (pancake Tuesday) and actually felt a bit ashamed - as they all have colds and all I could think about was.... I am poisoning them (albeit they were gluten free)

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely agree with Wooliemama - I find if I made my lunch big enough (according to meal template) there was no desire whatsoever to snack in the afternoon, I was satisfied until dinner.

The recommendation is also to have a mini-meal (ie protein, veg, fat, just a smaller portion) if you are truly hungry between meals, but if it's just a craving try not to give into it, do something else to distract. 

I'm having buckwheat galettes for pancake day dinner tonight but more than ready to get started tomorrow.

Well, today is Mardi Gras, & I am getting a last few things out of the house. We had a king cake over the weekend (Laissez les bon temps roulez!), & I just finished the last biscotti from a batch I purchased at my favorite bakery last week. My partner has promised to hide the Valentine's Day chocolates I bought for her. And... that should be it? There are a few non-compliant foods still lurking about (my partner is not joining in on this Whole30 attempt), but nothing that will be very tempting. I will get rid of them all this weekend, because my partner is leaving for a three-month work assignment on Sunday. I'll just send everything non-compliant with her!

Sort of on-topic: is anyone going to Ash Wednesday services tomorrow?

I need some snack ideas. Some days we eat dinner later than others, and I want to have a good snack on hand so I am not tempted by a bad one.

I think we're not supposed to snack. Maybe increase the amount of food at the three main meals to avoid snacking.

In my case, I'm doing yoga teacher training on the weekends... which means I have a 90 minute power yoga class early morning and I need some kind of food 1-2 hrs before class and then something after class... I'm planning on bringing hard boiled eggs with chili powder on top maybe with some celery or grapes or strawberries. 

Another option is apple with almond butter (I've been buying Barneys and Co Almond butter sugar free and salt free... it's just almonds and palm oil).  Let me know if you come up with other options. 

Let's do this. 

I think we're not supposed to snack. Maybe increase the amount of food at the three main meals to avoid snacking.

In my case, I'm doing yoga teacher training on the weekends... which means I have a 90 minute power yoga class early morning and I need some kind of food 1-2 hrs before class and then something after class... I'm planning on bringing hard boiled eggs with chili powder on top maybe with some celery or grapes or strawberries.

Another option is apple with almond butter (I've been buying Barneys and Co Almond butter sugar free and salt free... it's just almonds and palm oil). Let me know if you come up with other options.

Let's do this.

I know that we are not supposed to snack, but there will be a day or two every week where our meals are 6 hours apart. That is too long for me. :)

I think I need to take the advice of eating more at meals, especially lunch, with fat because afternoons are also my downfall. I really want to get away from snacking on nuts or nut butter this go round. The time between my lunch at work and supper at home is more than 6 hours which, as Ruthinthedesert said, is just too long.

Angledge--I had planned on attending our Ash Wednesday service but we had an ice storm yesterday and services are cancelled tomorrow. I guess I will do my own reading and meditating at home.

Wow. This is a big group already! I plan to start tomorrow. My first attempt was on Jan 31. I made it until Valentine's day and then fell off. I haven't been able to get myself to restart since. I initially went on due to some sinus, tonsil and mouth pain that the doctors gave up on, as well as some excema in my ear. I felt so good after 2 weeks and when I fell off I could immediatly feel my sensitivity triggers. The sugar had me hooked again too. I am excited to start this journey again with all of you!

Deb

Tomorrow should be interesting... I'm all stocked up and ready to go but since derailing from my healthy eating on Valentine's Day I have become a hardcore sugar maniac!  I haven't craved sugar for the past 3 weeks that I've been eating basically cheater Whole30 (ie- Whole30 without saying no to small amounts of restricted things like mayo or sriracha or restaurant food) and I thought that I would be fine for the next month but now I'm worried that I'm going to crash from my 4 day sugar high!  I just ate half of a huge peanut butter chocolate heart in the freezer and have half a candy bar sitting in my car.  Oh and pizza for breakfast and potato chips for lunch.  I feel like I'm gonna have to spend the next week in rehab if I want to kick the habit!  Just needed to vent!

Wooliemama - love your avatar!

I guess rehab starts in 4 hours.  Lots of food prepped, ready to hit tomorrow running.  Thin mints are being delivered to me in 1 hour.  I am putting them all in the freezer and telling my son they are ALL his.  I'm old enough to tell myself something and stick with it. 

If weather holds, I'll attend Ash Wednesday service.  My mom's church is having a new thing this year - gather for an hour before service to exercise.  Walk around gym, lift weights or have a short exercise class.  She wants to go and see what it's like tomorrow, so I may go with her.  I keep saying it will be good for her (widow of 4 months, in late 70's, spent last year taking care of my dad so no exercise and limited socializing).  Heck - it would be good for me!  Good luck everyone!

Hi Everyone!!!

I am going to make my second attempt at the Whole30 starting Wednesday, February 18th. Yes, Lent is longer than 30 days but that will give me time for incremental re-introductions.

My first attempt at the Whole30 was last November, & while I didn't complete it, I had a great support group here in the forums. I'd love to find another group for this attempt. Who's in?

Welcome back Ange! :D

Angledge and Praxis!! I'm SO happy you're both on here! I was hoping I might find a couple of my 2014 OGs. Seems you've got quite a group already, you know I'm in!!

I'm still having trouble figuring out exactly how much meat to buy and how to prepare it, since I almost never bought or cooked meat before this.  Like, I don't think I've EVER purchased beef or pork at a grocery store (except maybe bacon) before this, believe it or not.  So any meat tips or resources would be greatly appreciated!

I think the hardest things for me to give up on Wednesday will be alcohol (giving up a bottle of wine every week can't hurt my waistline, though!), 

Wooliemama, here's a few thoughts for you on meat and preparations...Look at your hand and the palm is a good guide for your protein. Likewise for eggs, hold as many as you can comfortably in your hand and that's how many you should have at a meal. Cook up a great batch of 'emergency meat' (spiced,cooked mince) for throughout the week--you can use it in soups, stirfry dishes, hotpots, etc.

This is now my 6th Whole30, doing this round with husband; his 3rd. We are looking forward to it. Which begs the question, if we know how great eating clean makes us feel, why on earth do we depart from that path?

It's the little things, which eventually add up to one big slippery slope. That said, this time round I'm in the run-up to endurance walk #6 (40 miles) so I'm looking forward to a perfect storm of awesomeness. Glad to have such a great group to go hand in hand with this time round!

Which begs the question, if we know how great eating clean makes us feel, why on earth do we depart from that path?

CrazyCow (it feels rude to call you that!  :) ) that's exactly what I was thinking this morning tucking into my delicious breakfast! How good it feels to eat like this and why on earth I don't do it all the time.

I'm going to have a late dinner situation today, too, going to meet an old friend for a drink (water for me, obviously) and won't get home til after normal dinner time. So I've packed an additional mini meal of a tin of sardines and some carrot and celery sticks, in case I need it.

Day one for me too!  It's my 3rd challenge, previous two were wildly successful, and my daughter's 2nd challenge.  She was impressed by my first one and doubly impressed when she did one with me.  We had hoped that announcing a Lent Whole30 challenge to my mother might inspire her to join us but nope.  Maybe next time. 

Happy day one, everyone! 

Hi all

I am on day 4 and doing just grand

Now going off nuts for lent - they are a bit like sugar for me - one is never enough - so going to kick this nut dragon

Roll on lots of meat / veg and eggs

Agree with Ytu - sitting down to a delicious breakfast is great - I could happily do breakfast 3 times a day

Good luck to all

Zoe 

Archived