Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

Good morning!

So here's to day 2 for me! My husband is amazingly going to give this thing a try....which will kick my tail into gear regarding some more creative cooking!

Yes, definitely going to Ash Wednesday Mass today. I know some people don't like/don't 'get' Lent but I've always enjoyed it. Kind of an annual restart button for life. The important things tend to get lost in the overwhelming mess of urgent things, and this season kind of helps refocus me on what matters. Good stuff.

Have a great day everyone!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always felt that way about Lent, too. A time to slow down and refocus.

Zoe, I am a nut junkie, too. DH buys those huge unsalted jars from Costco of mixed nuts. I had some last night and am swearing off them. They are like sugar for me, too, never enough, but goodness they are good.

Going to prepare my first meal of this Whole30 and Lent. Good luck to all today!

I am doing the same thing! I have not tried Whole 30 before, but I have a number of autoimmune issues and, despite years of work, I still don't feel like I think i should. I have been researching Whole 30 and Lent seems like the perfect time to start and compare how I feel today to how I feel at Easter. I look forward to all the advice out there and to have some new "lenten" buddies    :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  -Erin

Interesting first day. Had a cup of hot water, 1/2 lemon, and a Tbs of coconut oil for breakfast. I'm hoping it will tide me over until lunch.

Edit to add: This is a fasting day for me. It is Ash Wednesday and I am permitted to eat 1 full meal and 2 smaller meals that together do not equal a full meal. I am also on an autoimmune protocol so nice things like eggs, nightshades, ghee, or nuts, among other things, are not permitted. Fasting days will be a challenge so if anyone has suggestions on foods that might work I'm all ears. 

• Moderators

Interesting first day. Had a cup of hot water, 1/2 lemon, and a Tbs of coconut oil for breakfast. I'm hoping it will tide me over until lunch.

Eat! This is not a starvation plan. Follow the meal template for three meals a day. Snacking is not encouraged, but if you're hungry, have a mini meal of protein, fat, and veggies.

Meal template and other helpful downloads are here: http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

The whole30 is about providing your body all the nutrients and energy it needs to function optimally.

Edited to add: I just remembered it's Ash Wednesday and this may be fasting for religious purposes. In that case, carry on. 

Eat! This is not a starvation plan. Follow the meal template for three meals a day. Snacking is not encouraged, but if you're hungry, have a mini meal of protein, fat, and veggies.

Meal template and other helpful downloads are here: http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

The whole30 is about providing your body all the nutrients and energy it needs to function optimally.

Edited to add: I just remembered it's Ash Wednesday and this may be fasting for religious purposes. In that case, carry on.

Fasting day. Fridays will be the same. It's challenging when you can't eat meat and I'm on an AIP. Eggs, mayonaisse, nuts, butter, and more are all out. I'm trying to supplement with coconut oil to boost calories and satiety. Lunch will be soup and dinner will be fish and vegetables.

Day One.  Here is my confession:  283.0#  47-46.5-63.5.  God, help me!  I am trusting in YOUR confidence as I have none of my own.  I expect to be tossed like an oyster, burned like coal and chipped like rock.  But YOUR breath, and YOUR hands will bring me about as a pearl of great price, a multi-faceted diamond and pure as gold. Thank you, Father, for creating me unique, as you designed. 

CrazyNervousWhole30Virgin

Myself and 3 friends from church are also doing the Whole 30 for Lent . . . Since Lent is longer than 30 days some of them are taking weekends off from strict Whole 30 rules . . . I'm committing to doing strict paleo for the full season, and Whole 30 for the first 30 days. I hope focusing on good food choices will also help me focus on good life choices and put the focus of my life in the right place - God.

jana alanda 

fasting !!!

you poor thing  

promise us you will make up for it tommorow and have lots of lovely filling and satisfying food

Myself and 3 friends from church are also doing the Whole 30 for Lent . . . Since Lent is longer than 30 days some of them are taking weekends off from strict Whole 30 rules . . . I'm committing to doing strict paleo for the full season, and Whole 30 for the first 30 days. I hope focusing on good food choices will also help me focus on good life choices and put the focus of my life in the right place - God.

Remember, the Whole30 is 30 days of eliminating all troublesome food groups - AND THEN 10 days of one-by-one reintroductions! I put the entire schedule on my calendar & the last day of reintroductions (gluten grains) falls on Palm Sunday. The program is nearly a perfect fit with Lent!

If your friends are doing the Whole30 during the week just as a Lenten observance, then well done to them for being creative. However, if they are doing it in order to learn about possible food sensitivities, or for any of the other Whole30 reasons (healing the gut, etc.) then they are not really going to get good results if they go off-plan on the weekends.

Not sure if other people in this group have done Whole30 before. I woke up kind of sick this morning (sore throat, achy body, just like a normal cold). I started feeling really nauseated around 3 pm... could this be a Whole30 side effect or me just being sick?

:wacko:

GabiPatricia, no one here is a doctor to give you a diagnosis. That being said, I don't think one day of Whole30 eating would give you such symptoms. You're probably just coming down with a cold. 

I recommend drinking some bone broth (if it's salty, it will feel good on your throat). My partner has been sick for weeks (flu, then strep throat, & finally pneumonia). While I couldn't convince her to try bone broth, I've been drinking it every day & I didn't get sick. Just an anecdote, not data, but it has convinced me.

More advice here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25216-coming-down-with-a-cold-any-recommendations/?hl=%2Bsore+%2Bthroat

I've been researching the W30 for six months but couldn't ever commit.  Too scared of giving up sugar and dairy.  Lent is the perfect time for me to tackle such a challenge so here I go!  I'm fasting today for Ash Wednesday but I pre-made several W30 compliant dishes while I was out of work for an 'ice day' yesterday.  So glad that there are so many others doing this for Lent!  Now I'm kind of excited instead of just anxious!  

It's great to see such a good group committed to this 30 days. I had not thought about the 10 days of reintroduction and how that fits so well with Lent. Someone mentioned that it may be easier socially to avoid certain food and drink because of being able to say I'm doing something for Lent. That really works for me because one of the problems I've had in the past sticking to this is not wanting to draw attention to myself or listen to cynical remarks. This sort of lets me off the hook. Today has been good so far. I, too, am learning I must eat more at meals to hold me to the next meal. I was hungry a couple times but had a snack of protein and fat. Looking forward to Melissa Joulwan's chocolate chili recipe with some cauliflower rice for supper. Hope the day has gone well for everyone!

Hi Everyone!

I'd love to join this big and fabulous group. I started a Whole 30 on February 1st, then ended it after two weeks with the plan to re-start at Lent. And here is Lent! I am an endurance athlete and a pescatarian, so I anticipate some challenges along the way. But my first two-week taste was awesome. I only decided to re-start because I had inadvertently cheated a few too many times to justify calling it "whole." But I'm ready to go now!

I work as a pastor of a church, so Ash Wednesday has been a challenging Day 1! Services at 7am, 9:30, 11:30, and again this evening and tonight. I've done pretty well, with eggs, homemade mushroom & clam marinara, butternut squash soup, and roasted sweet potatoes all playing starring roles in my diet.

Happy Day 1, all!

Archived