Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

Hi All 

Day 5 for me and going fine 

Is anyone else out there struggling with feeling bad about feeding your children non whole 30 foods ?

We have coeliacs in the family so gluten is out for us anyway - which is good - but GF food tends to be frank'in food

Over the last 5 days I have been observing them and although they are all fit / active / lean they are of course drawn to foods that are bad for them

I try and make sure they have as many paleo meals as possible and fortunately they love their meat / fish / veg / eggs and fruit etc

I would love to try a dairy free month to see if it improves their health but I would probably be evicted (a step too far)

I am hoping over time they will make their own choices to eat clean (my eldest aged 12 (non coeliac ?) has taken up a gluten free diet and feels better for it) 

I hope me eating clean will be a good example for them

Any thoughts would be appreciated 

Enjoy your day 

Zoe

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I survived Day 1! I may have had a little sugar in my breakfast bacon...the ingredients said "may contain", but other than that I stayed on program.

The ingredients list is what to look at. If it says sugar or any sweetener, then that is not a compliant product to consume on a Whole30, sorry.

Day one in the bag...day two just beginning. I think having your children watch you eating healthy and nutritious food, Zoe, is fantastic! It may take a bit of time for them to completely follow suit, but it can happen. Good luck everyone today!

Jana_alanda, yep, you have a challenge with no eggs if you're fasting on Fridays. BUT-how about lots and lots of canned tuna and salmon on hand to make quick protein meals? Just keep in mind that fasting is a spiritual discipline that should never cause us physical harm, so take good care of yourself :)

Yesterday was a bit light for me on the eating as well, being Ash Wednesday, but back to normal of sorts today. I'm really trying to figure out what to do with my husband regarding the vegetables. He will eat: carrots, asparagus, sweet peppers, cucumbers, white potatoes (NO sweet potatoes), lettuce, and green beans. That's it. He is very opinionated about food!! Luckily we raise cattle, he loves eggs (we also have chickens) so the protein part is taken care of. Very limited palette if veggies to work with though!  

Not so for me. With the exception of eggplant (which I abhor) I've never met a vegetable I didn't like.

Carry on everyone!

I notice that whenever I eliminate sugar completely from my diet, I have this sort of empty feeling in my tummy or maybe on my taste buds. It sounds strange but tells me that I really, really do have a problem with the Sugar Dragon. But on a good note, I realize I do like black coffee! I used to drink it black years and years ago but for a long time have used 1/2 and 1/2 (not sugar, though, surprisingly) and was actually kind of worried about giving up that cream. However, it is a relief to enjoy coffee without anything added.

stravajunkie--your husband's veggie template is not too bad, at least he likes SOME veggies. My husband eats all things healthy but it is my 11-year-old with whom I struggle. I,like others, continue to present him with good options and hope he sees my example and understands one day.

It sounds from the posts like others feel as I do, when my eating gets cleaned up, the rest of my life seems to follow suit. Lent seems like an especially good time to practice clean eating from a physical and spiritual point of view. A happy and successful Day 2 to all!

jana_alanda

I have also been thinking about you 

If you make this so hard for yourself you may end up going backwards - personal experience

I think if you are new to whole 30 it is a challenge - but that shouldn't stop it being enjoyable

I agree with stravajunkie - take good care of yourself

Zoe

Good morning everyone! Yep, it's Whole30 season - the dishwasher is running constantly! I will have to buy more dishwasher detergent on my next shopping trip. 

I had the best dinner last night. Leftover curried pork chops & carrots (http://www.wholelifeeating.com/2012/06/slow-cooker-pork-curry-and-carrots/), with steamed spinach & cauliflower. The curry sauce from this recipe is so flavorful, you can put it on just about anything & it's amazing. 

I recommend checking out http://www.wholelifeeating.com/for recipes. The author, Tom Denham, is a moderator on this forum. All of the recipes on his website are Whole30-compliant. 

• Administrators

I'm a terrible snacker in the afternoon. I do fine during the morning because I have a big breakfast... but afternoons are a snack battle. I find myself eating every hour.. something. Just something. 

I usually ok after dinner. ... This will be quite a challenge for me. So, any suggestions that you may have would help. I'm all in, and so is my husband (i think the snacking for him will be a challenge as well....)  :mellow:

I would suggest that your lunch might not be large enough if you are finding yourself needing snacks.  That is....if it's physical and not an emotional/mental thing.

Try making your lunch larger and see how you do?  What is your timing between lunch and dinner?  More than 4-5 hours? If so, it's possible that a small meal of protein, fat and veggies will tide you over between meals and eliminate that snacky feeling.

When you are inclined to need a snack, for best snack-dragon-killing results, stick to the protein and fat (ideally also veggies) and leave the fruit, dried fruit and nuts alone.  Those types of foods contribute to blood sugar fluctuations which will keep that need "for something" alive and well.

I know. The ingredients said "may contain sugar." It was breakfast on the first day of my Whole30 and I had not been shopping yet. I had to eat what was in the fridge. :)

Ok, well, consider that was a test day for you and today is a new day 1, 100% sugar/sweetener free from this point onward for 30 days.  :)

• Moderators

Hi all / angledge

i have seen the dishwasher thing on other threads

What is it ? 

Is it a cross contamination thing I am missing the plot on ?

Please advise

Zoe

Most people just find they have a lot more dirty dishes on a Whole30 than previously, especially if they previously didn't cook much or used a lot of pre-made foods. 

I am doing well so far ... I had a bit of a headache. After yoga while I was making dinner it seemed as though my sense of smell- the smell of the food cooking was heightened. Starting to think my allergies might be somewhat food based. Did anyone else notice that?

I also noticed that people are talking about cooking in duck fat ... How does one aquire duck fat ? ☺️

CrazyCow (it feels rude to call you that!  :) ) that's exactly what I was thinking this morning tucking into my delicious breakfast! How good it feels to eat like this and why on earth I don't do it all the time.

I'm going to have a late dinner situation today, too, going to meet an old friend for a drink (water for me, obviously) and won't get home til after normal dinner time. So I've packed an additional mini meal of a tin of sardines and some carrot and celery sticks, in case I need it.

Ytu, no worries--trust me I've been called worse and 'if the shoe fits' an' all...  ;)

I find in between times that it's simply a slippery slope...a bit of this, a drink of that...and then you suddenly two months later think "huh, I feel a bit off..."--and so for me, I jump back in here for a reset. 

PS, I LOVE sardines! My family thinks I'm mad...

Wow, this has been a busy group--brilliant! 

Not sure if other people in this group have done Whole30 before. I woke up kind of sick this morning (sore throat, achy body, just like a normal cold). I started feeling really nauseated around 3 pm... could this be a Whole30 side effect or me just being sick?

:wacko:

GabiPatricia, I second the bone broth recommendation. It's full of great stuff, and easy to make. Here's a link to the pinned recipe that I use if you want to give it a try: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/168533211027800106/  --ooh and bonus is you can use bone broth not only for sipping, but as a base for all sorts of W30 recipes! Good luck...  

Wow this thread blew up fast :-)  How's everyone doing today?

It did, didn't it? Had to tell you Alecian28, love your sig! 

I am doing well so far ... I had a bit of a headache. After yoga while I was making dinner it seemed as though my sense of smell- the smell of the food cooking was heightened. Starting to think my allergies might be somewhat food based. Did anyone else notice that?

I also noticed that people are talking about cooking in duck fat ... How does one aquire duck fat ? ☺️

Anewme, you can actually get render (!) your own duck fat if you're roasting, say, duck legs/quarters--roast the duck, let the fat cool, and scoop into a ramekin. We then use it for all sorts of dishes--especially good with eggs! 

Most people just find they have a lot more dirty dishes on a Whole30 than previously, especially if they previously didn't cook much or used a lot of pre-made foods. 

Thanks Shannon

That's a relief

I cook from scratch most of the time anyway - so we are always overcome with dishes

I am now on day 6 - this whole 30 seems to be going much faster than the last one

I purposely haven't been focusing on the number of days - rather just doing each day as it comes

My skin is great - hopefully will start to see other benefits soon

I had my 1st experience with coconut aminos - Thai salmon parcels last night

It was lovely (tastes like molasses) - had to get it off amazon as wasn't able to find it in any shop 

Good luck for today

Oh Zoe, you may just have convinced me to order coconut aminos! I've been on the fence about them because ordering expensive special ingredients seems so contrary to the principle of "just eating real food". But I really want to try to make sunshine sauce so maybe I'll get them as a special treat to myself.

Day 3 started here - good luck everyone!

Hi all!

It's also morning of Day 3 for me here in London, and I'm feeling good. I was waiting for the 'hangover' but so far it hasn't come - I think this might be because I was already gluten free and pretty much sugar free beforehand. Fingers crossed!

However, I have started feeling a little grumpy, so maybe I've fast-forwarded to the 'Kill All the Things!' stage - eek! I'm also heading out to eat tonight with my university friends. I've checked the menu and there are quite a few options for me to eat, but I'm getting quite nervous about the whole wine situation. Feeling thankful for having Lent as a reason to fall back on if the Whole 30 thing doesn't go down well...

Hope you're all doing well x

Archived