Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

Hi everyone. Gab I and Ruth....in response to the snacking...My weakness is reaching for something sweet midday and at night after the kids have gone to bed. What do I do? I immediately make a large cup of hot herbal tea. It takes awhile to drink because I am sipping. Usually, it fills me up. If I am not satiated, I will just make another piping hot mug. I have about 10 different flavors of herbal teas at my fingertips and the variety really helps my psyche and taste buds. Hope this helps!

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning!

Joyce27, I know what you mean about not getting that 'full' feeling w/o lots of sugar/carbs. I find that myself-I'll be reaching for a banana or something post meal, because I'm "hungry". But if I stop to analyze it (50/50 chance of that actually happening) then I realize I'm totally full-I'm just missing that carb rush. One thing I noticed for myself is I need to make sure I eat plenty of fat. If I focus on lean meats and veggies (which was more my style in the past) I NEVER feel satisfied. But cooking with coconut oil, olive oil, eating lots (and lots) of avocados, not being afraid of (compliant) bacon and sausage was a game changer for me. I had to really let go of the 'holy crap, I just added like 300 calories of fat to that meal' attitude.....don't know if that's helpful.... 

Yesterday's meals =

M1 2 eggs

M2 Veggie salad, beef, handful of nuts, banana

M3 Meatballs, asparagus, dates, applesauce

Really it was too much. I was overfull. But I have a somewhat monster bike ride scheduled this morning, and I have found that upping the carbs prior is helpful...So we'll see how it goes.

Complaints about doing dishes in the dishwasher!?  Is anybody else the sole dishwasher (ie- do them by hand)?  I already created a superhuman number of dishes before Whole30 because (healthy) cooking is a hobby of mine as well as a necessity.  And I have a baby so... always washing all the things.  For how much time I spend cleaning, you'd think my kitchen (and house) would be spotless.

Also, just wanted to vent.. I ruined my chicken broth yesterday and I am now very sad because I had lots of plans for it.  I make a mean veggie stock, so I'm debating just making that even though I know it's not as nutritious (and maybe a poor use of veggies?).  I know people are mad about bones, but is there any benefit to veggie broth that anyone knows of?  I use mushrooms and seaweed, which are both have pretty powerful medicinal qualities.  

Everyone should be proud of themselves for making it to day 3 (or whatever day you're on!)  Great job!

• Administrators

Oh Zoe, you may just have convinced me to order coconut aminos! I've been on the fence about them because ordering expensive special ingredients seems so contrary to the principle of "just eating real food". But I really want to try to make sunshine sauce so maybe I'll get them as a special treat to myself.

Day 3 started here - good luck everyone!

Not to dissuade you from getting coconut aminos, but you can totally make sunshine sauce without them and it is still amazing. I never buy them and have sunshine sauce in the fridge at all times.

• Administrators

Also, just wanted to vent.. I ruined my chicken broth yesterday and I am now very sad because I had lots of plans for it.  I make a mean veggie stock, so I'm debating just making that even though I know it's not as nutritious (and maybe a poor use of veggies?).  I know people are mad about bones, but is there any benefit to veggie broth that anyone knows of?  I use mushrooms and seaweed, which are both have pretty powerful medicinal qualities.  

Veggie broth would be delicious. Of course you would not get the minerals and gelatin that you would from a bone broth, but as you said, there are some wonderful medicinal qualities in veggies also. You can also throw some egg shells into your veggie broth for some added calcium.

Wooliemama, I wasn't exactly complaining about the dishwasher running all the time - just noting that, for me, all the dishes are an indication that a Whole30 is on. Normally, my partner & I eat out several times a week & use more processed foods (especially condiments & sauces). So switching into total home-cooking mode is unusual for our household.

Yesterday around 4 PM I needed to take the dog to the dog park, but I was feeling hungry (lunch had been early, around 11 AM). I grabbed an Epic lamb/currant bar - it was DELICIOUS & completely satisfied my hunger! Epic makes five different bars &, based on the nutrition labels, four of them appear to be Whole30-compliant!  

https://epicbar.com/products.html

The lamb/currant bar is a great Whole30 snack - 10 grams of protein, 8 grams of fat, only 9 grams of carbs. 

However, the side effect of this snack was that I wasn't hungry for dinner until nearly 8:30 PM, & then I didn't fall asleep until well after midnight. Lesson learned: I would've been better off eating a bigger lunch. 

Good morning!

Joyce27, I know what you mean about not getting that 'full' feeling w/o lots of sugar/carbs. I find that myself-I'll be reaching for a banana or something post meal, because I'm "hungry". But if I stop to analyze it (50/50 chance of that actually happening) then I realize I'm totally full-I'm just missing that carb rush. One thing I noticed for myself is I need to make sure I eat plenty of fat. If I focus on lean meats and veggies (which was more my style in the past) I NEVER feel satisfied. But cooking with coconut oil, olive oil, eating lots (and lots) of avocados, not being afraid of (compliant) bacon and sausage was a game changer for me. I had to really let go of the 'holy crap, I just added like 300 calories of fat to that meal' attitude.....don't know if that's helpful.... 

Yesterday's meals =

M1 2 eggs

M2 Veggie salad, beef, handful of nuts, banana

M3 Meatballs, asparagus, dates, applesauce

Really it was too much. I was overfull. But I have a somewhat monster bike ride scheduled this morning, and I have found that upping the carbs prior is helpful...So we'll see how it goes.

Good Morning! Yes, it is the carbs/sugar that my body is searching for. It is a strange transition to think eating fat (good ones) is ok after all those years of being told that low-fat is the way to go. So I had half an avocado on my chopped brussel sprouts topped with leftover chili for breakfast. It was tasty! Yesterday afternoon I did analyze whether it was hunger or boredom and had to say it really was boredom.

Ladyshanny--do you substitute anything for the coconut aminos in sunshine sauce or just leave it out completely?

Day 3 and my sleep is already improved. The talk about duck fat is motivating me to get the duck I purchased a couple weeks ago out of the freezer and roasted this Sunday! Going to fix Melissa Joulwan's sweet potato soup for supper minus the bacon because I don't have any that is compliant. Planning to check out the wellness meats website to find some that is compliant. I think I will saute some shrimp to add on top of the soup. Yum.

Susi-pie--I drink herbal tea as well to help me through which does the trick sometimes, but not always. :(

This forum is a big help to me although I will go back to the real world on Monday when I return to work after all the ice and snow this week. Going to make some spicy fish cakes and some egg muffins for quick breakfasts. Prepping in advance is key for me. Good luck to everyone on Day 3!

Oh Zoe, you may just have convinced me to order coconut aminos! I've been on the fence about them because ordering expensive special ingredients seems so contrary to the principle of "just eating real food". But I really want to try to make sunshine sauce so maybe I'll get them as a special treat to myself.

Day 3 started here - good luck everyone!

Coconut aminos are cheaper at vitacost than Amazon at the moment. Of course vitacost does not offer the prime shipping option.

It did, didn't it? Had to tell you Alecian28, love your sig! 

Haha, thanks. I like it too!

Day 5 today, still feeling good.  Why didn't I want to kill all the things?  I tried making the carnitas from Well Fed last night.  They were tolerable at best.  The meat was super dry and way too citrus-y.  Next time I'll just stick to my crock pot.

I'm nervous because today is upper body day at the gym and I have a super-tight tendon in my left arm.  Trying to quash tons of water today to fix it, but I'm stuck at my desk all day and I don't think typing at the computer is going to help matters.  

This weekend will be my first whole30 weekend, and I'm sort of sad about it.  We usually go out to breakfast Sunday mornings at our favorite local cafe and I'm not sure I can resist their super awesome best ever bacon so I'm thinking of just not going.  I'll have to give this some more thought.  I hate stuff scrambled in my eggs and they don't have any good veggie sides, just fruit, and their hashbrowns are cooked in butter.  Blah.

Thanks for the snacking recommendations. Regarding the bone broth, I don't eat red meats so that's out of the question. 

It's Day 3 and I feel fine. I've been waiting for the hangover headache, but it's non-existent. I already had given up diet drinks for a long time... so that hasn't bothered me at all. I've managed to have a banana right after lunch and that's stopped my cravings. 

I just keep telling myself, I can do this.... I can do this... 

I am not Catholic, but I like Lent. :)

LOL!

Hey everyone. Does anyone use the TwoGrand app? I just got on it and you can take photos of your food as well as see others for ideas. You can also track your water intake, exercise and goals. Let me know so we can link up.

Today I was dragging. I forgot my coffe which did not help. I am thinking of going caffeine free anyway. I have been very tight in my upper shoulders and wonder if that would help?

I love the coconut aminos and the fish sauce they make things more savory/ combined with seasonings... I use the Nom Nom ap because it's really easy and many of her recipes use those items.

Hoping tomorrow will be better.

Good morning everyone!  Day 4 here and feeling icky from the lack of sugar in my system AND proud of myself.  Had a special dinner event last night...I ate only what was Whole30...passed on the pilaf and the homemade Baklava! THAT was tough, but in the end, I am stronger for it.  Happy Saturday to all of you!

Hi! I am joining the forum late but started my very first Whole30 on the 18th. This forum is very inspiring! So far so good for me except what makes me worried that it seems I might be eating a lot of fat lol. I could not give up my coffee with milk, but for Whole30 I started drinking bulletproof coffee. And I always try to have some fat with meals. Last night I made tuna salad with made paleo mayo, hubby mentioned that he tasted too much Olive oil. He is not following Whole30, but I did not taste that much fat. I agree with others about nuts, raw cashews are so yummy. If I run out of avocado, i have some cashews. I love "Well fed" cookbook, all the recipe are so yummy and I get to explore all sort of spices. Definietly preparation is the key. Happy 4th day, we can do it!!

Day 4 and I'm on track, but I think I'm having some of the tummy distress that the timeline says might happen. It makes me feel like maybe I'm eating too much or maybe some of it is due to not enough exercise. At any rate, the food surely is delicious. One of my favorite Well Fed dishes is coming up for supper--pad thai. I love that recipe. Glad to see others sticking with it!

Whew. I just spent nearly five hours in the kitchen, prepping ten freezer meals. This was supposed to be done at a Wildtree cooking party, but the party was cancelled due to a winter storm. So the Wildtree rep brought me my spices & I did the prep at home. 

I  have a chicken roasting in the oven right now with sweet potatoes alongside, & I'm debating making some Coconut-Almond Green Beans (http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/03/14/coconut-almond-green-beans/).

I am feeling fine - no headaches or GI problems yet. I haven't even wanted to kill all the things yet!

Archived