Whole30 for Lent: starting February 18th.

angledge

Wooliemama, welcome aboard! We will be starting in just over two weeks. The amount of fat freaked me out too, but I had good results with my first attempt at the Whole30 - I lost about 6-7 pounds in three weeks & never felt hungry. The worst of it for me was sugar withdrawal in the first week - it made me eeeeevil.  I am trying to ramp down my sugar intake ahead of the Feb. 18th start date, with mixed success so far. 

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am new and have been prepping since January. I want to feel better, healthier, and drop some weight! I have a hormonal imbalance and insulin resistance. I am hoping to cleanse my body and maybe get of the meds eventually! I'm your typical Italian catholic. I work in social services as an attorney. I have a wonderful fat happy food oriented family. I need to break my food addiction and can't think of a better time than lent! May I join you?

TWO WEEKS until our start date!  Here's a list of everyone who's said they're IN, definitely, or has expressed interest:

angledge - in 

MelissaT - maybe

Stefani - maybe

RenVer - in

AngieS - in

Cathochick - in

KathrynLSuch - in

MBC - maybe

jessilynn76 - in

Britishgal - maybe

Wooliemama - in

Rwilk44 - in

What's everyone doing to prepare? I've been trying to fill my freezer with compliant meals for I-just-can't-cook-tonight insurance. I'm mulling over whether or not I need to buy some more food storage containers (I like the Pyrex glass stuff). I'm collecting recipes like a madwoman. 

I've also been trying to figure out some social engagements. I joined a couple of Paleo groups on meetup.com, so hopefully I can go out & stay compliant without feeling like a standout. I'm going to invite some friends over for dinner too - socialization for me, healthy foods for everyone.

What are you doing to prep for your Whole30?

angledge, count me in too! i'm starting on Feb. 16, but i'll only be two days ahead. luckily, my wife is joining me, so having that support network at home will make things like food prep and motivation that much easier. we'll be finalizing our meal plans this weekend, with a trip to Costco and WholeFoods to stock up on FOOD! 

also, i'm doing this while in the middle of a 9 week cycle of strength and endurance training, so i'm curious to see how much i'll need to tweak protein and carb intake for PWO meal.

anywho, it's nice to know there is this support group as well! good luck everyone!

February 18 is approaching!!!!! Angledge, are you still in? I'm starting my menu planning ahead as well as grocery shopping and meal prep. I can't believe I'm attempting this lol!!!! But something needs to be done and a change must happen. I'm excited :)

I'd love to join in on your group. I'm a newbie and am excited and admittedly a little nervous about starting on 2/16.  I've read the book and think I have a grasp on it.  I need to write my weekly menu, get my shopping list together and jump in.

Any suggestions to start?

I'd appreciate all the help and advice and of course support I can get.

Thanks.

LMK2013, Marie1, Jillstew, welcome!

Jillstew - advice:

- Ummm, buy more food storage containers. Unless you already cook at home a lot.  

- If you have a slow cooker, Google "Whole 30 slow cooker recipes" &/or "Whole 30 crock pot recipes" for tons of great ideas.

- Check out the Paleo websites Nom Nom Paleo & Clothes Make The Girl - both have a ton of Whole30-compliant dishes.

- Start drinking your tea/coffee black now. 

- Consider making a quiche or fritatta muffins for breakfast so you will have breakfast taken care of. 

I would like to join for lent too... The timing seems good and I also like the idea if lent.

I also just joined this site, and am not sure how to turn on notifications?

I have been doing the whole 30 on and off for a while now and like the idea of freezing dinners is a good one. I have a mix off Pyrex and Tupperware- pluses minuses? I have heard heating things in plastic is not good.

I love the idea of the paleo meet ups and will check that out next

Thanks in advance for letting me be part of your group

Carol

Hello,

Another Newbie here.  My name is Gabi and I would love to join You guys!  

I am so glad I found this site/ and this group ;) - I think Whole30 for Lent is an awesome idea!:) 

I believe it is what I have been looking for!  I have been carrying around those last post-pregnancy pounds and it’s time to do something about it.
So overall I am a healthy eater and a veggie lover, 
I do  also love millet, quinoa and buckwheat so eliminating those will be challenging but I have already started doing that (in preparation for the challenge).
Another weakness of mine is dark chocolate ;) and I know that it’s not bad for me, but I just eat way too much of it LOL (and that is not so good :))

:) Looking forward to our journey!

Welcome anewme & Gabi23!

anewme, you can turn on notifications for a particular thread by scrolling to the top of any page of the thread. On the right, above the "Reply to this topic" button, click on "Follow this topic". A pop-up box will appear, letting you set some details of how often you wish to receive notifications. Click the black "Follow this topic" button to close the pop-up window & you're done!

Tupperware vs. Pyrex: personally, I am moving away from all plastic food storage containers. I still use the ones I have if I run out of glass, but I won't heat anything in them any more. I am an environmental engineer & to me, the data on BPA leaching out of certain types of plastics seems pretty conclusive. And although I haven't seen too much data on other types of plastic..... well, heat destabilizes plastic, & may cause other chemicals to leach into food. Why take that risk? SHORT VERSION: I use both, but prefer glass.

• Administrators

I also use both. I use glass for anything we are going to heat up/eat out of but all my pre-cooked stuff goes in large plastic containers.  Those containers have never seen a microwave or a dishwasher nor a sharp implement (so as not to scratch them & make them difficult to get clean) so I feel that they are as safe as they can be.  

This is just awesome to have a nice supporting group!! I'll be doing my shopping tomorrow and prepping on Monday-Tuesday. I work shifts and am working nights on the weekend so will be sleeping during the day. As for the food I'm a very picky eater so my diet will be very basic and repetitive but that's the least of my concern. I'm starting to get a bit nervous/anxious. It seems like all I want to eat is chocolate hahaha!!!

Archived