The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tulip and Sissy requested Higs basic Balsamic Reduction recipe.   I am currently searching for her post that started it all....I'm getting there.

9 June Start

photo-thumb-46753.jpg?_r=1403791463 Posted by higs on 22 June 2014 - 03:19 PM in Join the Whole30

Welcome, BeaconRick!  I wish I had tips on getting family on board, but so far no luck here.  I will probably be able to get my sister to join in a future Whole30 with me, but my partner is way too into his scotch and milk.  Rosann's story about her ex sure rang true for me.  My partner has high cholesterol, high blood pressure, a rough family history of major health issues and his own digestive issues that I think could really be helped with this program -- but no go!  Now that I'm getting a teeny tiny taste of this rumored "dragon's blood," I hope that my feeling amazing will be an inspiration to him.

Deb:  it can be intense when emotions come out of nowhere.  I remember that from other elimination plans I've been on, but haven't had that experience this time yet.  Maybe it's the gut-brain connection that's supposed to be so linked, so if your gut is releasing bad stuff, it impacts your emotions too?  Just a theory.  As for the IOD, I didn't get really fancy with plantains because I didn't want to deal with frying (I hate frying), so I baked plantain chips tossed in coconut oil, salt and cinnamon and they were YUMMY!  Now I'm less afraid of plantains -- they weren't *that* hard to peel -- and I will experiment more in the future.  Today:  I'm thawing venison!  I think I'll make some kind of cherry balsamic reduction to go with it.  Yesterday I also adapted my fave fave kale salad that normally has ricotta ensalata but substituted the cheese with roasted hazelnuts, and it turned out fantastic.

CC and Rick:  your trip sounds fantastic.  I'm inspired by your active lifestyle.  I'm going kayaking today too.  There is a gorgeous secluded bay near my house, and I hope to see bald eagles, osprey, herons and more.

Cara:  whale watching!  That sounds amazing.  Congrats on your run and hope your legs feel springy next time, too.

Sadie:  keep it up!  I admire those of you adding extra protocols on top of the Whole30.  I shudder trying to envision cutting out coffee, so I am in awe of those of you limiting other food groups on top of it.  I hope you feel better really soon - probably right around the corner, right?

To the yogis:  have you noticed any change to your practice?  I do yoga very occasionally and it's been recommended to me by my naturopath for my tight joints and ligaments, but I haven't been good about keeping it up.  I don't live near a studio and I haven't gotten in the habit of using a DVD (I have Sean Corne's detox yoga DVD which is a good one, but I just can't get going on it).  Maybe I'll add it as a challenge during the reintro phase.

All: we're at the end of week 2.  Let's give ourselves all a big YEEHAW!

Dirty 30 "Best Group on W30"

photo-thumb-46753.jpg?_r=1403791463 Posted by higs on 10 October 2014 - 08:02 PM in Whole30 Reintroduction

Whole Stanley, you have NOT undone all your hard work.  No worries!  You can't undo it all in one go... you had a misstep and the great news is that you hopped right back on the horse.  GOOD JOB!    :)   :)   :)

I had a really great conversation today with a friend who has rheumatoid arthritis and some significant weight issues.  She has lost about 100 pounds and is mobile in a way that she hasn't been in years.  She has been doing some really great work.  We were comparing notes about our different meal plans and she told me about this thing that I'm not near trendy enough to know about:  shrub cocktails!  She makes vinegar and fruit concoctions and adds it to sparking water.  OMG.  Some of the variations sound amazing.  I Googled it and most shrubs include sugar or honey, but you could make it without, right?  Has anyone tried them?  My friend makes them with balsamic vinegar and peaches or other fruit.  This seems like something that Deb and Miki would know all about.  In any case, I am going to research it (aka shrub cocktails at her house) and will report back.

I am beginning a week or so of off-roading.  I'm not doing formal reintros.  I am taking a break, eating what I want, and then resuming later in October.  Yesterday I had my first wheat and dairy in 6 or 7 weeks, felt fine if a bit sleepy this morning.  After my birthday (next week), I'll get back on the horse again, too.  Maybe not a formal W30 at that point, but at least a mostly-compliant plan.

Happy Friday all!

Found this along the way... 

I feel like this whole30 was pretty successful. I made a list of goals before starting, some of which included: 1) only eat when hungry. 2) Be more creative with recipes. 3) Limit nuts. I definitely experimented more in the kitchen...homemade BBQ sauce with pineapple juice as the sweetener--amazing! Coleslaw without traditional mayo, homemade turkey burger red sauce with spaghetti squash "noodles," balsamic and fruit reduction salad dressings....it was FUN! I came up with this Balsamic Pear and Sweet Potato soup at work that was just heavenly. My friend invented some pretty tasty tuna cakes and eggplant lasagna, and roasted garlic aioli that made excellent chicken salad. We ate like kings for 30 days, and we plan on continuing the food sharing.

When Higs wakes up we'll ask her some questions.

I use Macadamia Nut oil in mine with every kind of berry or citrus fruit.

We started making our own balsamic vinaigrette that we can't get enough of.

2 parts balsamic vinegar, 3 parts light tasting olive oil (we get ours from Sam's Club), plus salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste Mix vigorously. I just had some literally 15 minutes ago and it was super delicious. 

Balsamic vinegar (a.k.a. Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale) is originally from Italy (no surprise there). It is an aged reduction made from Trebbiano grapes, but is not a wine vinegar (like red wine vinegar) because the grape juice from which it's made is not fermented. Check out the labels on the bottles at the store before you buy. There are imitators masquerading as high quality products that have added coloring and thickeners, such as guar gum or cornflour. Just be wary. -

DSCN0042%5B1%5D.jpg

Instructions
  1. Pour balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan.
  2. Turn heat to medium high and bring vinegar to a boil.
  3. Once boiling, reduce to simmer and let simmer for about 10 minutes until vinegar has reduced down. Stir occasionally. {be sure to keep an eye on it because it can burn quickly} You will know it is done if it coats the back of spoon.
  4. Remove from heat.
  5. Let reduction cool and serve or transfer to an air tight container and store in refrigerator. {if reduction hardens after being in refrigerator for too long just place container in a bowl filled with warm water to heat up the reduction}
  6. Can be served with a salad, grilled peaches, steaks, or whatever you want. You could just drink it if you like... its that good! :)

Balsamic-Reduction-4-610x406.jpg

Once boiling, reduce to simmer {low heat with small bubbles along the edges}and let simmer for about 10 minutes until vinegar has reduced down. Stir occasionally. You will know it has reduced if it coats the back of spoon. {be sure to keep an eye on it because it can burn quickly}

Higs...never heard of shrubs.

Cauli rice...put a head of cauliflower through the food processor till it's pulverized. A little tedious and messy. Once this is done you can freeze for later or cook (I like to do two and a time. Then you just cook it like you would fried rice. Today I found a recipe for Thai pineapple fried Cauliflower rice...it sounds amazing. I will try to make this weekend and let you know what I think.

Good Morning My Dirty Darlings,

Up at 4:30 getting ready for the gym. Today I wake up starving, not fond of that. A smidge of a headache. Prior to this I hadn't felt anything and was planning on no symptoms...perhaps not the case. I don't think I drank enough water yesterday. I have a meeting tonight so will need to bring dinner with me.

I personally love larabars so that's a temptation for me, as are nuts, raisins dried fruits etc. Nut butters don't work for me. I'll see how today goes. I bought a bunch of herb teas and will try to focus on those. 

Looking forward to a great day, I hope yours is the same.

Miki

All - good morning! Let's make sure we are ASKING food questions BEFORE we eat it!

I feel my energy is dropping off very fast. I slept for 11 hours last night and woke to the sound of a text message coming in to tell me work was closed because of the ice and snow that fell overnight. Happy Day!

I got up and made myself a yummy breakfast and then made my wife breakfast in bed. Had my tea and started working on my taxes. Got about half way thru them before I had to stop because of the many W-2s and other tax forms I have not received yet.

Tonya - I have complete faith in your abilities thru this 30 day program.......make YOURSELF proud!

You can absolutely deviate from the chore list but I still want to hear that you are cleaning/organizing SOMETHING everyday for at least 30 minutes! Today I might be cleaning out our new fridge because after two days....the damn ice machine isn't working! WTH! Or.....I will be cleaning snow off of the driveway!

I know it's only the first few days, but energy will start to come back to you in a very big way! USE THIS ENERGY as a catalyst for better health. Get off of your $$ ass $$ and walk, climb stairs, jog, clean................be more mobile! The more you do, the better you will feel, the more weight will come off, the better the results! WHOLE 30 pays me $15 per pound for every pound that you lose, $10 per inch, $5 per clothing size, $487 per person in the group, $85 per view, $172 per comment, and a $263,214 bonus every time I threaten people or say ass! Now $$ ass $$ yourself this question.....don't you want to feel better?

Ok, I'm going for a long....snowy walk with my dog!

Be good, eat clean, dream big, make good decisions......be true to yourself!

Dave

So, I was not falling in bed exhausted at 9:30 last night as usual, and I was wide awake at 5:30 ready to start the day - what's up with that?  Every time I clean up my diet (yes, it has been several times...) I'm so exhausted the first week, then by week 2-3 the energy kicks in.  My diet was absolutely the worst these past six months, as bad as it was when I first began caring about my health 6 years ago.  Very high sugar and carb up until this past weekend, so I'm anxiously awaiting the carb flu...

Meadowlily-the cherry smoothie is 1/3-1/2 can coconut milk and about a handful of frozen cherries, blend with an immersion blender.  If I have this for breakfast, I add raw spinach or kale and 100% egg whites for protein.  I guess I could be doing that anyway.  It just feels more like dessert at the end of the day without the veggie and protein.  Also, I will be curious to hear about your shrub cocktail - will be googling that in a few minutes. 

BrooklynBabe-I love larabars, and have often used them as a bridge from eating crap to clean eating - I usually buy myself a treat at the grocery store every week, just for that evening.  In my past (because it will not be my future!) I have chosen something from the bakery when I'm eating junk.  But I switch to larabars when I'm working to get clean.  That bridge goes both ways, though - I swear they have been the push off my slippery slope back into the world of junk, too, just because I can't handle the sugar.  They are so delicious and so dangerous!  I totally understand your reason for eating them, and would have probably done the same thing in that circumstance.  It takes a long time to figure out what works and how to handle a situation.  All you can do is make the absolute best choice at the time and then rethink how you can be better prepared next time. 

Geminimik-So do you think it would work to use frozen cauliflower in the processor to make rice?  I wonder if that would be less messy...

In addition to seemingly needing less sleep last night, I dreamed about a smorgasbord of non-compliant foods.  I helped myself to the fried shrimp, then remembered I was doing a Whole 30.   Maybe I'm getting all the weird stuff out of the way early.

Day two went well, ready for day three-made pumpkin eggs for breakfast this morning.  My version of pumpkin souffle - 1 can of pumpkin, 6 eggs, lots of different spices.  I grabbed the pumpkin pie spice, but checked the label before using - I hadn't been concerned about spices before until reading about them yesterday.  Darn if it didn't have sulfites in that mix.  Luckily, I had ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves anyway.    Anyway, I love pumpkin eggs.   It makes enough for 3-4 servings and is good reheated. 

Does anyone have an idea of how to make avocados ripen faster?  I have 4 sitting on my counter that I really want to get into. 

I'm not sure what today's chore will be, but I do need to clean out my kitchen cabinets, closets, under the bathroom sink, etc.  Maybe today's chore will be to make a list and plan of all the extra chores I want to get done. 

@Meadowlily - I haven't seen a huge change in my practise since starting W30 however I made a commitment to myself to hit the mat everyday. I use yogaglo.com, It's an awesome site with all types of videos. You can select your duration, level, focus, style, teacher etc. I love it!

@Tonya - I feel like I recently saw that if you put your avocado in a brown paper bag with a banana or apple it will ripen faster.. maybe I dreamt it though. I usually just move it into sunlight and it ripens quicker!

Day 14 today for me. Feel great but no tiger blood yet. My sleeping is more sound however I'm struggling to get back into my 5:30am wakeups. Before Christmas I was up everyday at 5:30 but since coming back from our vacation I can't seem to get out of bed until 6:30am and I go to bed at like 9:30pm. Maybe a couple more early mornings and I'll be back into it.

Happy Hump Day!

45972-Hump-Day-Camel.jpg

ok i made ginger dressing!  but it smells very much like vinegar for now!  will let you know after i taste it!

also made; drumroll please:  coconut cilantro spread!  total experiment but it smells good!

now my "MAYO" just looks like runny eggs;  is this edible?  it looks like salmonella to me; I mean it looks raw and runny;  can it be eaten raw and runny?  what to do with it?  

I also made a sweet potato and squash soup seasoned with mustard seeds!  

have a great day everyone and thanks for your support!

Dearest Tulip...not excited about your mayo description. Mine is usually smooth, creamy and light. I just throw the ingredients in a mason jar and turn on my hand wizard and in no time it looks like mayo, only better. (taste takes a few days to adjust too, but now I don't like regular mayo...too funny.

to tell you the truth I used the easy mayo recipe and it sounded so simple I don't know how I screwed it up;  also I did it in the vitamix;  did i mention i'm not good at following recipe instructions?  i'll try again;  the mayo and the cauli rice!  I'm on laundry duty today;  up to load # 7!  

the coleslaw sounds delicious!  

I think there are lots of things about mayo in the forums including how to fix runny mayo (i.e. Make aioli). Google "whole 30 + runny mayo" and see what pops up. Meanwhile, hands down here is the easiest recipe for mayo that I posted somewhere earlier. It's probably similar to Miki's.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

You won't be disappointed.

Archived