The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i used some on my tilapia that's in the oven right now!  that should work! I think it would work great on chicken breasts also, but I cooked a lot yesterday; come to think of it I cooked a lot today also;  i usually cook daily but i thought i'd try batch cooking.... problem is nobody in my house wants to eat "leftovers!"

I did it on the lowest setting . . . .

but onto a more serous question:  how on earth is all this eating going to help me lose weight? of course i'm in it for better health and regulating my hormones and the long haul and ...... but all this eating and there's a lot of fat involved;  am I eating too much?  I'm not even hungry???? what kind of diet is this? am I going to get fit and skinny dare I say it or what?

and for those of you who have done this before, what happens after 30?  who can keep up with all this cooking and washing and prepping veggies???

i'm having a panic attack!

I can chime in a little bit but I am far from an expert. I, too, would like to hear the others thoughts. Reading the book and skimming the boards on this site helped me a lot with the whole idea of eating this way and getting healthier in the process. I have lost about 40 pounds so far since I started eating this way. I still have a very far way to go. The biggest thing for me is that I feel fantastic. No kidding! In the process, it became about way more than losing weight. I just love the way I feel when I eat this way. I haven't been 100% since my 1st whole 30 with lots of off roading in between (hello Christmas holidays) but I always keep the basics somewhere in there and when I stray too far my body rebels. So, the short answer is that you absolutely will become healthier eating all this food. Remember that you aren't eating empty calories any more and other foods that provide little nutrition. Most of what we eat during a W30 provides valuable nutrients. In fact, some days when I feel weak or blah, I find it's because I haven't eaten enough, especially fat. There are some days when I'm not even hungry, but it's important to eat anyway.

As for what to do after, start making a plan and look at the forums about reintroductions. Some people do them, some don't. Again, I refer back to the book. They talk about "riding your own bike" and making a plan that works for you.

Don't let it overwhelm you. I learned to enjoy my prep days and take it one day at a time.

I'm not the mayo expert but from what I've read...a Vitamix is way too fast for this recipe.  It would turn it into a slurry.

GFChris...anyone?

What Meadow said ... use either a traditional blender, immersion blender or food processor on the lowest speed to make mayo. A vitamix is too fast.

I swear my thighs look fatter; just saying; and I don't know how the guy on the FB page has those results; I couldn't figure out his start date?  Bottom line for losing weight is to take in less calories  but I don't see how that would work..... and I'm seriously craving potato chips.  I feel very strongly that they are a whole food.  Just good old potatoes oil and salt.  Not during the whole30 but I can't imagine not craving them again! Anybody else having cravings?

Lily, I had forgotten that white potatoes are now allowed. Thanks for the reminder. I will probably still not eat too many but the extra choice is nice to have.

Miki your Cali-Rice sounds amazing! I am really trying to branch out on this Whole 30 - I got in a rut last time fixing the same things all the time and burned myself out so I am I really on the hunt for tried and true recipes.

I think the body breaks fat down in strange and mysterious ways.   Things may get loosey goosey but hang in there.  It's nature's way of cleaning up the house.

"On a related topic, I wanted to discuss something else that often happens when people are getting lean and dealing with stubborn body fat: the fat gets squishy, feeling almost like there are small marbles under the skin.  Yes, very scientific, I know. That’s the best I can do.

As folks get lean, down to the last pounds of fat, the skin and fat cells that are left will often change appearance and texture.  It will feel squishy to the touch. This is good because it means that the fat is going away.  I have nothing truly profound to say about this topic, just realize that it happens and usually indicates good things are happening."

Okay, no expert, but I think that eventually the eating levels out as your hormones level from eating nourishing food limiting the number of times you eat and the manner in which you eat. Our darling meadow has lost a lot, as have CC & Dave. I am planning on committing enough this time to do the same. It is hard for me to eat regular meals and I never eat at a table, so that is what I'm working on.

STILL NO HOT SAUCE.

Whine, whine, whine.

Tulip - W30 can be accomplished on a very simple level.  I know lots of people say it's very time consuming, expensive, etc.  My whole 30 is easy and I'm satisfied by my meals.  I don't make mayo because I never liked mayo.  I've seen pictures of the W30 mayo and I'm bothered by the look/consistency so I'm not interested.  I eat lots of eggs, chicken, turkey, tilapia, tuna, salmon, veggies (starchy and nonstarchy) and olive oil.  That's about it.  I used to eat fruit (and probably will again) but it causes too many stomach issues so I'm trying to give it up (made it through 8 days without fruit).  This way of eating is sustainable long term - all you have to do is simplify your meals.  Pick a protein, put some seasonings on it, cut up some veggies, stick in oven and meal is done - that's how I do it.  Nothing complicated.  You can do this.  I know you are concerned about gaining weight and you are not alone.  As long as you stick to the template, your body will arrive at a weight that it is meant to be.  Just watch the nuts and fruit and don't go overboard on fat -  follow the recommendations on the amount of fat.  Depending upon how you were eating before your whole 30, it may take more than 30 days to reach your goals. 

My tests came out fine.  Just waiting for results of biopsy. Not sure why the cat scan showed a problem.  A lot of my issues are caused by IBS.  I already see a big difference in how I am feeling by giving up fruit.

We are almost a week in - W0t!  

Anybody out there having a hard time with no appetite? When I eat this way, I am not finishing what I serve out and I am not feeling hungry, even when I skip lunch. HOWEVER, my mood plumments and so I have to force a meal . . .  I counted up the food one day and it was below 1000 calories . . . . 

Ok - mood swings are going to happen for a few days to a week into this. DONT PANIC! Your cravings will come and go and so will appetite and energy. I have felt bloated for the past two days but yesterday that started to go away and I was wide awake at almost midnight last night (3-4 hours past my bedtime). This made me nervous that I would be exhausted this morning but I popped out of bed at 0500 and I was up and running. I still have some cravings but you just have to say NO! this is 30 days people.......30 DAYS! You are almost a 1/4 the way done.

Mayo - shouldn't be runny. I would try a different mixer next time. For those that don't like mayo, I will tell you that homemade mayo has a different taste and texture which some people who never liked mayo now enjoy!

Tulip - snap out of it! It's only been a couple of days! If you are feeling fatter, it might be the bloating phase that some people go thru. Stay the course! To cut and run now will solve NOTHING! This is your first time so there are going to be many experiences that are new to you. DO NOT GIVE UP! DO NOT GIVE IN! Make sure you are eating compliant! All of the carbs and candy and CRAP that you have been eating goes straight to your gut! The body doesn't know what to do with all of the sugar so it keeps storing it.......IN THE FORM OF FAT! Give this 30 days and you will see the difference!

Nikki - do not skip meals! Make sure you getting enough food and the right food!

All - this program does not have to be expensive and it doesn't have to be time consuming. Does it take more time than opening a bag of Fritos......YES! You will get out of this program what you put into it!

DO NOT THINK OF THIS AS A DIET! Think of this as FINALLY eating what your body needs. In the quantity that it needs! When you really start looking at what you are eating compared to what you were eating.......its disgusting! Do you think I ever would have guessed that there was sugar-free bacon on the market? Not in a million years. Sugar, sodium, chemicals, preservatives, CRAP......is put into soooooo much food it should be a crime. Companies continue to find any and EVERY alternative to increase their profit. If you think they care what is going into the food....YOU ARE WRONG!

DONT DO THIS PROGRAM FOR ANYONE BUT YOURSELF!

House chore - straighten something.....book shelf, fridge, pantry, linen closet, scrap book..................DO IT!

Dave

Getting ready for the gym. I will straighten lots today. I'm still working on that template, eating earlier and not having seconds (even if it's just protein). I read an article yesterday that said if you're having problems with bloating, try taking smaller bites, chewing longer, etc. Kind of made sense to me.

Coleslaw was really good yesterday. Looking to try some different protein this weekend. Maybe some shrimp veggie thai curry over spaghetti squash - that'll cure what ails ya.

For me, this program (any program) is way over 50 percent psychological and emotional. Choose to focus on the beautiful colors of the food you're eating. Choose to think about how they nourish your body. Choose to be grateful to yourself for taking the time to heal you from the inside out. 

Today I will straighten my thinking...(don't worry WD, I'll straighten my "drawers" too).

right now I'm trying to get myself to walk away from the computer and get to the gym!

That may not happen today (not happy with myself)...but there is always tomorrow.

I'll do situps in the bosses office, she's not here today.

Today I'm making my coleslaw again (next week I may ad some left over chicken or shrimp, it would be a meal then).

I saw they had ketchup at the same company I get my hot sauce (I should say order, as I still haven't gotten it). 

I'm so impressed by some CC and Meadow come to mind, that have "adopted" this way of eating for the most part, that is my goal. I feel so awesome between day 8 and day 16. I don't have the energy wave yet, but the old girl might just be a little behind all you youngins.

Embrace your amazingness, love yourself, your body and yes...even Whiskey (dry) Dave.

Miki

Miki - I agree with you - a good portion of the W30 is psychological and emotional.

I would love for Steve to do the W30 with me but he just has too much weight to gain.  Even if he ate five W30 meals a day, he would not be able to gain enough weight.  Steve recently told me that the W30 way of eating  is too hard.  My comment - you survived chemotherapy, a stem cell transplant, graft vs host disease and you lost 52 pounds - that was hard, W30 is not. He does eat many W30 meals with me but they are supplemented with rice, pasta, bread, cake and cookies.  Hopefully, one day he will be my W30 buddy.

Dave - early this morning I cleaned the kitchen and one bathroom.  I would have cleaned the second bathroom but it's in the master bedroom and Steve was sleeping.  After the cleaning, I enjoyed a one hour walk by myself and then a 20 minute walk with Steve.

Gotta go.  Steve has an appointment in Miami with the transplant doctor.

Stay complaint.  Health is just around the corner. 

Archived