The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

Jeslight-er....here is my favorite.

Cherry Barbecue Sauce

2teaspoons ghee, or fat of choice

1/2cup minced shallots

Kosher salt

1 garlic clove, minced

1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated (about 1 tablespoon)

1tablespoon tomato paste

1/4cup coconut aminos

1/4cup balsamic vinegar

1/4cup apple juice

10ounces pitted fresh or frozen dark sweet cherries, roughly chopped

1 (1½-pound) flank steak

GrannieD - got your check...all good! Stay away from those Poboys and Café Du Monde beignets also.

Miki.....sweet Miki. So glad you are back. I have been fighting a cold for the past two weeks and just can't seem to shake it. I am run down and without energy so this is the perfect time for the group to get me. The Captain and I have gone our separate ways. I have matured over the past 6 months and have decided that he no longer has a place in my life....or cabinet. Besides, Blackberry Whiskey is a pretty good sippin' drink!

For those that don't know our history...we started on June 9th ...or 6/9.....which became the 69'ers....which became the Dirty 30! Now get your heads out of the gutter and get prepared. You will have one last chance on SUNDAY to weigh yourself. This will be your LAST chance for the next 30 days to hate yourself, be pissed, listen to the scale scream, whine, moan, self-loath, cry, blubber, throw tantrums, and make an ass out of yourself. Once this has been conducted, write it down somewhere and then change your mindset on what you need to do for the next 30 days.

THIS IS NOT A DIET! MAKE SURE YOU FEED THE MACHINE! Just stop putting garbage in it.

Your mind is a great tool that works day in and day out to keep you above the dirt. Remember, we are NOT trying to lose weight because we CANT lose weight. If I tell you to lose your car keys....you can't! You can throw them in the woods but your mind still has an idea of where to find them. If someone asks you "have you lost weight? " your mind immediately starts looking for the pounds you lost. Its also good enough to add on a couple extra just for insurance purposes.

We will be "moving closer to our ideal weight"! You decide the weight that you want to weigh and tell yourself that everyday! "I weigh ???"! Tell yourself that three times a day and MOVE towards that weight. YOU ARE LOSING NOTHING!

Ok, run along rabbits.....I have to go defend Freedom and Democracy across the globe!

Dave  

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, You've matured? What does that mean? yuk? gag? spit? hmmmm

Meadow - thoughts?

Higs?

No Deb, this will be tough.

Sissie, Jess and GD, nice to make your acquaintance. My fav meal is boring but I love it. ground chicken, with chopped kale and brussels sprouts with tessamae hot sauce. I had to order it this time since whole foods doesn't carry it any more. Taking my book to work to sharpen my sword...I guess we're defending freedom and democracy this week ...way to slow down Whiskey Dave!

Nanu Nanu

Miki

I'm in! Start date will be the 13th, easier to get the hubby on board if the college football season is over. This will be our 2nd whole30. First one was 8/11. We fell off the wagon over the holidays and are ready to climb back on. Looking forward to getting rid of the aches and pains that have returned to my body over the past 2 weeks.

Hey y'all Dave, Miki, Laurie, Higs, CC, Rick, Sissy, NannyD, GrannyD, Jeslight, Melzuko, Tonya, Augie, ChiggerCane, VolChick, DawnS., Nado, Ann, Noodlette, Krista

6357683_G.jpg

I was   Paleo 90/10 or was it 80/20...  I'm walking on the wild side....I've gone Whole 30 all of the time.

GOOD morning Dirty Peeps!

Someone please remind me that a nice cold, dry martini is not Dirty30 compliant. LOUDLY :rolleyes:

I'm sure excited to receive my hooded sweatshirt ... hoodies are my favorite! My favorite Whole30 meal will always involve brussels. Probably chicken or pork or steak, too. I can't choose just one, I love em all! 

Miki / Hurricane ... I was born in Torrance! Little Company of Mary. We lived in MB until I was 4-5.

Dave ... 2 quotes from you are my mantra for the next 30 days: "THIS IS NOT A DIET! MAKE SURE YOU FEED THE MACHINE! Just stop putting garbage in it."  AND   "We will be "moving closer to our ideal weight"! You decide the weight that you want to weigh and tell yourself that everyday! "I weigh ???"! Tell yourself that three times a day and MOVE towards that weight. YOU ARE LOSING NOTHING!"

Off to work on that HIGH note  :)

Dawn

I am here!  So glad to be aboard with the Return of the Dirty 30.  I asked Rick (my husband) if's he's coming aboard, and he said no.

I said GOOD! Now I can say anything I want! I expect you'll seem him drop in from time to time!

Rick and I started our Whole 30 on January 1st. We kicked off the year with a 5k  - YES - it was cold, but no excuses, right Dave?

We were off plan for about two months. It was hard to get going again, but as usual, I never felt better eating like this!

I am so glad to have the old gang together and to have to new friends aboard. This will be a fun 30 days together!

Hi all!

Brand spakin' newbie here - never even experimented with Paleo before. Here's to jumping in with 2 feet. Started on Jan 5th and I'm hoping if I slide you a check of 10 000$, you'll let me in and throw me an extra sweater into the deal. 

Nadine

Your mind is a great tool that works day in and day out to keep you above the dirt. Remember, we are NOT trying to lose weight because we CANT lose weight. If I tell you to lose your car keys....you can't! You can throw them in the woods but your mind still has an idea of where to find them. If someone asks you "have you lost weight? " your mind immediately starts looking for the pounds you lost. Its also good enough to add on a couple extra just for insurance purposes.

This is great! Love it! Not losing a pound, I'm killing them off for good! 

Although, my brain is pretty fried from years and years of artificial sweeteners and I'd probably forget where I lost my keys if told to lose them! 

I'm in! I actually started on Jan 5 but I keep making daily mistakes. Clearly I need to read up! And plan better. 

My husband's company has their work party on Saturday and I was not looking forward to getting through that experience sober. So yay! January 12th it is! Sign me up, check's in the mail, etc.

Krista, I think everyone will agree - write down the key points, the NO ingredients (often in everything) and read every label at the store on Saturday (bring your reading glasses if you wear them). Even cans of tuna and premade lettuce salads at Trader Joes (the lettuce) can have stuff in them. 

Once you get home with all the Good Food, relax saturday night, then get up on Sunday and prep and cook. If you like to cook, cook away...if not (me) prepare a few simple dishes to try out. I resisted making the mayo, but it turned out to be easy and you'll find that once you get past the difference in taste, you'll prefer it. 

If you have a hobby take it up again, Although Whiskey Dave often ties up your day with cleaning, polishing and shining, which (please don't tell him I said this) is very therapeutic in itself. 

Everyone swears by the Barbeque sauce but I haven't tried it. I'm a huge fan of ground chicken & veggies! Avocado helps fill me up. Nuts are a slippery slope (except ones like me).

Good luck, read every label!

Hey Ann, nice to see you, share your wisdom.

Morning Meadow, CC, Laurie, WD, Jess, Nad...

I'm hitting the Farmer's market on Saturday for some super fresh veggies. I'll go light on the fruit to start, reserving for my lunch. Need some fresh basil. Sweet Pots, a tomato. My hot sauce is in the mail, wahoo. 

Good morning Dirty gang of miscreants,

Welcome new peeps, hello and welcome back to the OGs!  Hurricane, I'm with you on the big Sunday meal prep.  It is a godsend and makes the week so much easier.  I find if I can't tackle a big cookup on the weekend, I really struggle during the week.  (That's when pulling all the stuff you smartly froze out of the freezer comes into play.)

I have gotten really into bone broth and am having some now.  Perfect way to start the day.

Edgar and the goats send their regards to all.

Interesting Higs, How do you do the bone broth...is it beef? do you ad garlic or herbs? do you just make it and keep it in frig? I would like to do that on Sunday...please advise. 

Henry and Billy enjoyed their walk last saturday...they're so cute!

M

Nado - Welcome. Make sure you are ready to go by Monday. If you have questions....just ask! I only require $5000 for this 30 day journey, I don't want to be an extortionist. I can only send one sweater but I do have a leftover goat leash from one of Miki's adventures that I can send.

Ann - I wish I could lose some of my vices......not my voice! Great to have you back. Please prepare the drink cart for our adventure.

Noodlette - sounds like you have a drinking problem. This is NOT an alcohol cessation website! This website is designed to help people eat better and live healthier lives..........................for 30 days! After that, you can drown your liver in scotch, wine, whiskey, rum, hootch, bourbon, moonshine, or rubbing alcohol. You still have a few days to sober up and get yourself prepared. Welcome! 

Krista? Is this the same Krista who broke my heart in 6th grade? If so.....you are definitely out of the group....AND....I want my 38 Special album back! I can't believe you would take Andy Lockland to the dance........wait......her name was Kim....never mind, welcome to the group! Cute kids, did you get them at the mall?

Ok, only a few more days left until kickoff! I am still sick and the rat poison that my wife puts in my meals does not seem to be helping. I have drank, swallowed, snorted enough decongestant that I have officially dried myself out and moved into the nose bleed phase of this cold! It's the small successes that get me up in the morning!

Please feel free to try and wear out your scales over the next few days.....they are OFF limits (NO EXCEPTIONS) starting Monday.

Health tip - since most of the country is dealing with below freezing temps, your tip of the day is: DO NOT LICK METAL OBJECTS! This includes Wal-mart shopping cart handles which is where I probably picked up this cold.

Ok, off to teach dolphins how to twerk!

Dave

What the heck am I Ducky, chopped liver? Good Morning to you!

Darling Kelly and her rat poison, you just have to love that woman! 

I'm trying to return my kids (well, at least the youngest one). By they way, he finally got a driver's license last Tuesday and he's a good little driver...but if he's not nicer to me, he won't have a vehicle with which to hone his skills...KIDS!

In prep for feeling awesome, I'm having a facial, massage and maybe something else this Saturday...(will farmer's market first), then Sunday will be a little gardening and cooking. I am planning on doing a soft start on Saturday as I need a little more rest the first couple of days (don't get old), but will be in full chant with director dave upon my 4 am rise to head to the gym. 

What I kept from my last whole 30? I still prefer my coffee black, I prefer homemade mayo, love the Tessamae hot sauce, the gym.

Miki

Hi All,

I started Jan 1st, can I join even though it's not the same start date? :D pretty please, you guys seem fun. This is my first official whole30 but I'm allergic to just about everything so I've been forced to eat paleo-ish for a few years.

Is there some sort of payment plan available.. or maybe you accept Canadian tire money? or Monopoly money? I'm sure we can work something out right?

Sam ( I don't have a fun nickname.. well in highschool I was called Samsquatch and yes this is a twist on sasquatch. I'm not a giant or bigfoot a mere 5'9 but taller than most my friends so samsquatch seemed appropriate)

Hi Everyone - so glad I got on board early. I've had a crazy day and I would have been eating my way through it!

It will come as no surprise to the Dirty 30's that Rick and I will be traveling as the group kicks off on Monday.  We're leaving for Nashville on Friday.

I think this will be a challenging trip to stay on track, but we've done it before, so I'm sure we'll do it again.

Biggest challenges: breakfast pastries are provided each morning. Ugh. We'll have to find somewhere to eat first and be at the workshop at 8am ready to go.

My very favorite thing to do while traveling is to visit dueling piano bars. I've never been to one without an adult beverage. I think this is a past time best enjoyed while drinking. I'm trying to talk Rick into country line dancing Saturday night at the Wildhorse Saloon!

The two things I will take on this trip: coconut milk for my coffee, Tessamae dressing for the meals out!

Darling Cane, we will make up the requirements as we go, goodness knows WD certainly does!

Dearest Sam, we may end up assigning you a D30 name, but for now Sam is cute! 

Adorable Meadow, I'm waiting for you to convince my brain....

Archived