The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

I'm going to join too! This is my first time doing the Whole30 and I'm ready to refresh my body and give it a go! Looking forward to it!  I'm going grocery shopping today. Any staples you think are a "must have" around the house?

Thanks!

Chels

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting Higs, How do you do the bone broth...is it beef? do you ad garlic or herbs? do you just make it and keep it in frig? I would like to do that on Sunday...please advise. 

Henry and Billy enjoyed their walk last saturday...they're so cute!

M

You've Got Mail, Miki.

Higs - share all of your BB secrets.   Some put BB on their face and we ingest BB for our entire well-being.

Here you go, Jes ... Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

brussel+sprouts+2a.jpg

Ingredients:

• 10 small brussels sprouts
  • 2-4 slices of bacon, chopped
  • optional: 1 to 2 Tbl diced onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • some oil or other fat
  • Salt and pepper

Method:

• Peel off any bad leaves from the brussels sprouts, and trim stems if woody.
  • Cut sprouts in half lengthwise. Cut again if they are big.
  • Heat pan to medium-high. Add bacon (and optionally onion if you like it) and cook until bacon  is about half cooked.
  • Add Brussels sprouts and cover the pan to steam the sprouts for a few minutes.
  • Remove cover and cook until sprouts start to brown around the edges and the bacon crisps.
  • Add garlic slices and fry 1 minute until softened. (or just use garlic powder)
  • Salt and pepper to taste, serve hot, eat 'em up!

Hey Ann,

Do you cut the bacon when it is raw before adding it to the pan? Or do you cut it after it is cooked? I have NEVER had brussel sprouts but would like to give them a go this time around. This looks appetizing and I've found some compliant bacon. Does it matter if the sprouts are fresh or frozen?

P.S. I'm an Ann as well (or Annie as some call me), then I became a grandmother (a very young one of course). Last name starts with a 'd'. Natural progression from people calling me Annie D to Grannie D.

Meadow, belated congrats on your DAY 222!!!!!  Holy guacamole, you are a force.  I am glad I got to play a teensy part by introducing to the world of balsamic reductions.  Three cheers for Meadow!

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

So I need to rant for just a moment... Bone broth. What a dreadful name! Who in the world started that? This isn't some new, paleo, Whole30 invention; IT'S JUST A GOOD, BROWN STOCK. That's all it is. Brown the veggies, brown the meat and bones, use meaty bones, cook the stock long and slow. Stock. Lovely, dark, nutritious, rich, flavorful, gelatinous STOCK. Every time I read "bone broth" it conjours up horrible cannibalistic images in my mind... Yuck. But maybe it's just me.

Here's a great YouTube video of a guy making perfect beef stock:
Classic French "Best Quality" Brown Beef Stock

Ok. I'm done now.

Ann, LOL.  My partner and I have had this debate ad nauseum.  Of course since one can find ANYTHING on the internet, our positions were both irrefutable.  Some things just have multiple names!  I like bone broth because I reuse the bones over and over until they basically disintegrate.  I say bone broth with PRIDE!

Meadow, Miki, I posted some bone broth links up above, back on page 3.  You flew past 'em!  You are both, in the words of Deb, "en fuego!"

And speaking of Deb:  I loved her IOD (Ingredients of the Day for you new folks) posts.  I don't know who besides Deb (except Meadow and Miki, of course) could possibly have the time and energy to researching all those recipes.  We could repost the same ones because there are still a gazillion untried recipes.  I never came close to keeping up with the IOD - maybe I'd squeeze in two or three a week.  Personally for this round I want to try ONE brand new to me ingredient and/or recipe each week.  For me this week that is going to mean rutabagas!

Dave, congratulations on the new fridge!  Did you name her?  Break a Cap'n Morgan over her bow?

Me, I'm on Day 6 over here and just completed (finally) my Couch to 5k program, so after tons of physical therapy and stick-to-it-iveness I have conquered and am on the road to running, at last.  Over the last year I have worked with sports medicine docs, physical therapists, chiropractors, massage therapists, on and on and FINALLY late this fall found a PT that does running clinics and really looks at biomechanics.  Eureka.  I know now what my specific imbalances are (most stem from an untreated ankle sprain over 20 years ago) and how to strengthen those areas so I don't compensate for them in all the ways that have led to my string of injuries and inability to run for the past many years.  So now I am taking those baby steps with so much more confidence than I've had and I am RUNNING again.  Yay me!

Happy prep this weekend, all.

Higs - I read your BB post, I shore did.  We just wanna know another 50 ways to tweak it up.   Have you created a secret BB all of your own that makes it pop and zing like Huckleberry Balsamic Reduction?   The half has not been told what I've done with your basic recipe.

I like "tiny steps for tiny feet".

Deb's IOD's (Ingredients of the Day) stand as a great resource for compliant recipes.  You find so many paleofied and petrified clunkers out there in facebook land.   Real hooptie hoops.

Hey Ann,

Do you cut the bacon when it is raw before adding it to the pan? Or do you cut it after it is cooked? I have NEVER had brussel sprouts but would like to give them a go this time around. This looks appetizing and I've found some compliant bacon. Does it matter if the sprouts are fresh or frozen?

P.S. I'm an Ann as well (or Annie as some call me), then I became a grandmother (a very young one of course). Last name starts with a 'd'. Natural progression from people calling me Annie D to Grannie D.

Ann - Grannies D

I cut mine up before hand, either with a knife or scissors. Easy!!

Meadow, my bone broths are different every time.  The last one with the trotters was soooo good.  But how I use it, well, that's not so inventive - I just zap a cup in the microwave as is, and drink it with breakfast.  BUT it could be used in just about everything.  To me it seems like gelatinous gold and so I don't want to obscure it in a dish with other stuff.  I just like it straight up.

I sure wish I had access to some of the bones that I'm sure you and Bear have.  Elk!  Deer!  oh my!

'

Chicken and turkey bone broth is my least fave because it's too light.  I like it to really stand up.  A beef marrow bone/lamb combo has been one of my favorites.  But my more recent batches have every kind of bone thrown in.

What is your favorite interpretation of balsamic reduction?  I generally just do some kind of seasonal berries.  What else have you come up with?

Change in plans, taking day off, rushing off to Laughlin to engage in mayhem. The massage, facial etc will wait till next week.

Gambling, drinks, coffee and solving the problems of the world. 

Wish me luck.

There is a story here, I'm assuming.  Mik, fess up!

@Dawn_Stines I just tell people "It's a program that helps me detox from sugar and processed foods. I basically just eat clean well-sourced meats, fruits and veggies. I love the energy I get, how much better I sleep, a clearer complexion and it beefs up my immune system." I tell people, "I lost 10lbs last August when I did it, but really that weightless pales in comparison to the other benefits I saw."

Thanks for all,of the ideas Dirty 30 peeps! Made me smile and giggle.

@Jes ... I'm totally going with your response. Thank you

Meadow, my bone broths are different every time.  The last one with the trotters was soooo good.  But how I use it, well, that's not so inventive - I just zap a cup in the microwave as is, and drink it with breakfast.  BUT it could be used in just about everything.  To me it seems like gelatinous gold and so I don't want to obscure it in a dish with other stuff.  I just like it straight up.

I sure wish I had access to some of the bones that I'm sure you and Bear have.  Elk!  Deer!  oh my!

'

Chicken and turkey bone broth is my least fave because it's too light.  I like it to really stand up.  A beef marrow bone/lamb combo has been one of my favorites.  But my more recent batches have every kind of bone thrown in.

What is your favorite interpretation of balsamic reduction?  I generally just do some kind of seasonal berries.  What else have you come up with?

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20826-did-you-find-yourself-sweeter-and-kinder-after-whole30-reintro/page-30

On brussels sprouts:  they are fab!  I like mine without bacon because I have not found compliant bacon that is not inedibly salty.

I roast mine tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper and pine nuts!  Roast at around 425 until the brussels sprouts are cooked through, a little crispy on the outer leaves and the pine nuts are lightly browned.  I do pretty much the same recipe for green beans.  Actually, roasted anything is da bomb.

Hello!!  I'm new to the Whole30, it would be great to get down and dirty for 30 or more with this group.  I was planning to start tomorrow, but can wait til Monday and read through some of these great posts to help me be better prepared.  If your group is still taking on newbies, I'd love to join?   

I'm going to join too! This is my first time doing the Whole30 and I'm ready to refresh my body and give it a go! Looking forward to it!  I'm going grocery shopping today. Any staples you think are a "must have" around the house?

Thanks!

Chels

Hi Chels and welcome!

Check out some of the handy shopping lists from here:

http://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

For me, my typical weekly shopping list has a ton of veggies, some meat and compliant sausages, always avocados, coconut milk and oil if needed, compliant Thai green curry paste, fire roasted chopped tomatoes, a couple apples and grapefruits, limes, ginger.

Happy shopping!

I roast every kind of vege altogether.    I agree, Higs.   Put them in your individual zippies...and fly me down the highway.

Meadow, I have missed you SO MUCH.  I am so glad we're back on the highway together, kinda like Thelma and Louise!

Bear's buds are giving us all of theirs for BB.

Bear's buds are giving us all of theirs for BB.

LUCKY!!!

Hello!!  I'm new to the Whole30, it would be great to get down and dirty for 30 or more with this group.  I was planning to start tomorrow, but can wait til Monday and read through some of these great posts to help me be better prepared.  If your group is still taking on newbies, I'd love to join?   

You're flying fearless, DirtySteph.

I love this thread. I'm down - I'll just send my whole checkbook!  Me and my group of 4 are starting on the 11th, cause I don't want to murder anyone at work as I come off these carbs.  I did one of these, then failed 2, so this time I'm looking to get clean to the end because good feelings.  Yes! 

Hi Miki - so excited to see that you are joining us.  Have you spoken to Deb?  I really wish Deb would come play with us. 

Here's the update on Steve - Steve is 5 months post transplant and is now in remission.   Although he still has issues with graft vs. host disease, Steve keeps improving.  He lost 52 pounds but has gained 20 pounds back.  Goal is to keep gaining weight and to increase strength.   On January 18, Steve and I will participate in the Gift Of Life's Walk For Life - a one mile walk to raise funds to register new people for the bone marrow registry.  We are not sure if Steve can walk the full mile but he will give it his very best effort.  I didn't know if Steve would survive and now I get to cross the finish line with him.  We have a future together.  How incredible is that!  To the 6/9 and Dirty Thirty groups, you were by my side while we waited for Steve to find a donor through the chemo and stem cell transplant process.  The support and cell stem stories (thank you Dave) meant more to me than words can express. Thank you.

Welcome newcomers.  Enjoy the road to health.  It's worth it.

Ah, just like the old days - you miss one day and you are pages behind! It's so good to be back together!

Laurie - I wanted to ask about Steve. AMAZING!!!  I remember every day being touch and go and now he's going to walk a MILE!! What a blessing!!

Higs - Congrats on all your running progress! Is there a race in your future? One of my friends asked me to do a 5k a month with her all year. We did January, but man, it's so cold these days! I have been recuperating from plantar fasciitis, and therefore taking it easy. I am checking out a program called "Unbeatable Body" which is a strengthening program for our weak spots (shoulders, feet, ankles, hips, etc.) to try and get ready for this season. Rick wants to do 3 triathlons! I've created a monster!

Has Rosann made it over here yet? Rick and I are going to Orlando in February and it will conveniently be post Whole 30 so I may stop by and sample some of her delights!

Meadow - You are rockin' it! 222! That's is so terrific! Very proud to have been with you on part of that journey!

To the new 30's - welcome aboard. This is the most fun you can have on the Whole 30!

To the old gang - Rick and are in Nashville this week, and staying Whole 30 compliant (today is day 10).  I did not get the memo that the official ingredient of EVERY day here is DUCK FAT!!! Where is Deb? She's the only gal I've ever know to keep a vat of duck fat in her fridge  :)

Ann - THANK YOU for bringing up the bone broth issue! If we just call beef stock, I could totally be on board. Feelin' better about that already!

What do you think about a rotation where we each share our one favorite recipe vs an ingredient of the day? Many hands make light work  ;) (One person responsible for one recipe each day.)

Archived