The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jess - I'm so glad you're alright.

Miki - Cat on a Hot Sauce Tin Roof...Tennessee Williams.

dcducks - Yes, there is plenty of food for everyone.   Can I still dole out the nuts?  I'm only going to give them 2 Brazil nuts for every can of tuna fish they eat.   Macadamias for good behavior with only a few tiddly-winks thrown in for a prize.  These are all going to be Happy meals.    

This is why you will only be getting two Brazil nuts with your can of tuna fish.

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5636 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

You can eat tuna every day if you like if you are getting plenty of selenium. And since fish often has high levels of selenium, you are probably fine without any extra effort. Personally, I eat 2 brazil nuts per day as a selenium supplement. Note, not a handful of brazil nuts, just two individual nuts. I eat salmon or tuna almost every day.

Here is a long article that explains why this is safe, contrary to lots you hear about the danger of mercury. Even if you don't read the whole thing, the bullet points at the top give you what you need to know.

http://chriskresser....not-eating-fish

Hi all! I'm a little late to the game joining the forum, but I'd love to hop into the group since I started my first Whole 30 today too! I admittedly have had a rough/silly start on Day 1 because I literally haven't eaten yet - have been out of town and haven't had time to shop yet, and don't have anything edible in the house! I'm headed out to grocery shop and stock up within the hour and will be home prepping food for the week this evening.

I follow some great Whole 30 Instagram accounts, but love the idea of having a group to be accountable to as well.

So hopefully you can all ignore my terrible Day 1 start and let me in! (That $5000 check is on the way!)

-Sierra

P.S. I'm a 26 year old student/music business person living in NYC (originally from CA), am currently at my highest weight ever (scary!), dealing with high blood pressure (a recent issue), and been gaining weight rapidly over the past couple months (I'm usually pretty steady even with a high weight my whole life!) So this feels like the perfect time to jump in and change my eating habits...finally!

Good afternoon from California!

Bone broth is defrosting as I type. RX bars arrived yesterday for emergencies. Romaine & spinach cleaned, chopped and bagged. 5 Jars of salads ready for the week. 2 pounds of bacon baked. I’m steaming eggs tonight for HB eggs and for deviled eggs. MY FAVORITE!! I’m baking a spaghetti squash tonight. That out to get me through week one!

NannyD – I do not put egg shells in my BB. I haven’t heard of that before. I drink BB steaming hot straight out of a nice heavy coffee mug. That’s my favorite way. I also use it to make soups. When I need to boil something in water, I’ll use ½ water and ½ BB. (Depending on how large my supply is at the time)

Chore for the day: Since my housekeeper comes tomorrow, I won’t be doing floors. HOWEVER, she is tiny and can’t reach the high places, even with a step-stool, so when I get home from work I’ll clean all the ceiling fans, and do the windows. That ought to burn some calories.

Good 1st day all!!
“Day 1 … So what’s the big deal?”

Dave - our grocery store recently stopped stocking the Gwaltney bacon. I'm in withdrawal! I'm sure this is a good lesson for me :)

Brooklyn - when I started Whole 30 last June I was at my highest weight ever.  This has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. As we get going here I will share some of my story.

Dinner tonight - I did all the good ordering - leave off the butter etc, and then the acorn squash (which was listed as acorn squash) came with all kinds of JAZZ on top. I apologized and sent it back. Lordy! I can't catch a break! Again, it all worked out.

Rick and I are at a conference with author Donald Miller (Blue Like Jazz).  He's on week 3 of a plan that is very similar to Whole 30. We talked at length about how freaking good you feel when you get all the crap out of your system! For me - my mental clarity makes it all worth while. I am shocked at how much the cravings wane over time. I share that for the newbies. After the first two weeks, it gets pretty good! I felt pretty sharp in a workshop all day long - only about a half a cup of coffee first thing this morning.

Congrats on day 1 under your belt team!

Laurie - I am so pleased to hear that Steve is on his road to recovery. I am so happy for both of you. I thought of you guys often during my absence but always had you in my prayers. So proud of what you two have accomplished.

Dave

I have a newbie question - I've been unusually hungry for the first 3-4 days (actually started a week ago) - is that 'normal' or have others experienced that?  I'm hoping this goes away.  I've been adding in a heavy snack about 3-4 PM, but can't figure out if it's mental or physical hunger.  I'm not too worried at this point.  I figure it's more important to feed the hunger (whether real or imaginary) with the correct food, and then tweak the amounts I am eating at my meals to eventually get to the 3 meals.  Any ideas or theories from the experts?  Thanks

Chigger, I am no expert -heck I called butternut squash a root vege earlier today but what you are doing sounds good. 

If you have "It Starts with Food" They address this on page 196 - in the Meal Planning made easy chapter.If you don't have the book some of the others can probably help you find it on the web site - I can barely find the website much less navigate it but that's another issue

Hope that helps- hang in there :)

California checking in. I had a good day. I too had hunger, but not the kind where I felt I had to slap Dave or anything.

I forgot how much I love steam-fried sweet potato with soft cooked egg on top...and very filling. 

Day one under the belt. Got my bedroom floor cleaned (sorry Dave, have a household of 25 somethings watching football and eating Pizza in the living room, so I took my eggs and went to my room. I had 3 meals today, with a little celery snack. My snacks were psychological...so I will not give in to that tomorrow.

Going to bed so I can get up early for the gym. (sadly, I've had a secret crush on a guy for 2 months and the gym and today he has a wedding ring on. REALLY...Dave, don't go to the gym without your wedding ring, just mean!

Sleep well kids, tomorrow will be another great day.

Dave - thanks so much for all your thoughts and prayers.  Steve is basically living with me now (he has his own apartment) and I am so grateful for every moment we have together. 

ChiggerCane - the question to ask yourself when hungry, can I eat fish and broccoli, if yes - eat a meal, if no, try to distract yourself.  I am giving myself permission to eat 4 full meals without feel guilty. I think this will help me avoid grazing.  If you are sticking to the template, you will be fine.  Just watch the nuts and fruit - they are foods with no breaks and cause some people to gain weight on the Whole 30.

I did W30 for most of the month of December and started my current W30 on Jan 7th.  Goal for this w30 - make it my best W30 ever.  I am avoiding fruit because it gives me stomach aches and it is a food with no brakes for me.  I will only consume nuts/seeds when they are served with a meal/salad when out to eat. 

I have stomach issues so I have been undergoing tests lately - cat scan of abdominal/pelvic area and pelvic ultrasound.  Cat scan showed some issues so today I am having an endoscopy and a sigmoidoscopy.  The prep (not nearly as bad as a colonoscopy) and the fact that I can't eat until late afternoon may throw my body off a bit.  However, I will be right back on schedule Wed morning.

Miki - I must try the hot sauce.  Hopefully, my Whole Foods carries it.  Bummer about the wedding band.

Hope all the newbies and the pros had a great first day!

Chigger - make sure you are drinking plenty of water so that your stomach thinks that it is full. Ensure you have enough fat in your diet such as cashews and eat your protein. Do not starve yourself! This should pass in a couple of days.

Miki - you knew I was married....don't act surprised! Next you will be chasing Catholic priests! Have fun at the gym.

Laurie - very happy for you and Steve. Hope your tests come back with something that can be fixed, but nothing serious.

Today everybody gets to do a chore of their choice for 30 minutes. Scrub bathrooms, take a walk, wash the cat, walk the goat (Miki), brush the teeth of your alligator.....whatever! Get it done!

Have a great day 2!

Dave

Day 1 went well yesterday! I had stomach issues all day (but that's normal for me)...hopefully by cutting out all the bad things, i'll get to the bottom of what seems to be causing me issues all of the time. Over the weekend I made a huge batch of chicken vegetable soup and a bunch of mini egg white veggie breakfast fritatas which have been great for breakfast to just heat up. Last night my sister came over and we made turkey taco salads and roasted some sweet potatoes. I hope everyone's first day went well! On to day 2!

critique my food please!  sorry this is my first whole30 but I'm on day 12 already but having an off day; felt more hungry and tummy looks like a big basketball today.

breakfast:  3 eggs 1 egg white 2 persian cucumbers 2 radishes a handful of cherry tomatoes

workout: 1/2 hour on bike / legs with weights

lunch: salmon string beans lettuce coffee / almond milk, cashews 1 date

i think my lunch was small and i had a bunch of errands and was hungry so i had another small lunch3 hrs later

lunch: chicken breast lettuce 5 olives

dinner:  chicken, salad, spinach roasted veggies, 2 slices of canteloupe 10 blackberries a handful of nuts, tea

I want to start getting back into my exercise but not sure about the pre/post workout meals; that and my foot.  I have a neuroma that's not totally healed.  Actually not sure if it ever will.  This food plan is also affecting my ability to think and write clearly...

tulipgirl6 - how about adding some more cooked vege to  B.   Whenever we have a salad, we need cooked vege with good fats alongside for satiety.

Your cooked/roasted vege is good at L and D.   Always  dine on your vegetables first before eating your fruits/nuts....as the Whole 30 says not to let fruits and nuts shove proteins, good fats and vegetables off of our plate.

It looks good but the almond milk if it's from the grocery store may have ingredients that aren't copasinki (compliant) with the allowed W30 ingredients.     Real coconut milk is better.   

Here is the Official Can I Have.....guide

Almond Milk: Make your own

Though it may exist somewhere, compliant commercially-produced almond milk is hard to find.  Ingredients  like sugar (in any form) or carrageenan will render store-bought almond milk off-limits for your Whole30. The alternative is to make your own—but remember, no added sweetener!

Tip: Nuts and seeds aren’t your best fat choice, in general, and drinking your food is always less healthy than eating it. So when it comes to almond milk, even if you make your own… we’d rather you just eat the almonds once in a while!

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.lDJreiwh.dpuf

This is the Official Can I have..... link below

http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

This one is the Official Program rules for 30 days....

http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/

The Whole 30 Basics

The Whole30 Program Rules

Yes: Eat real food.

Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed. Don’t worry… these guidelines are outlined in extensive detail in our free shopping list.

No: Avoid for 30 days.

More importantly, here’s what NOT to eat during the duration of your Whole30 program. Omitting all of these foods and beverages will help you regain your healthy metabolism, reduce systemic inflammation, and help you discover how these foods are truly impacting your health, fitness and quality of life.

• Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.
  • Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking. (And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort, either.)
  • Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. Again, read your labels.
  • Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
  • Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep’s milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee. (See below for details.)
  • Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30.
  • Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients. Continuing to eat your old, unhealthy foods made with Whole30 ingredients is totally missing the point, and will tank your results faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.” Remember, these are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, regardless of the ingredients. 

One last and final rule: You are not allowed to step on the scale or take any body measurements for the duration of the program. This is about so much more than just weight loss, and to focus on your body composition means you’ll miss out on the most dramatic and lifelong benefits this plan has to offer. So, no weighing yourself, analyzing body fat or taking comparative measurements during your Whole30. (We do encourage you to weigh yourself before and after, however, so you can see one of the more tangible results of your efforts when your program is over.)

*A few off-limits foods that fall under this rule include pancakes, bread, tortillas, biscuits, muffins, cupcakes, cookies, pizza crust, waffles, cereal, potato chips, French fries, and this one recipe where eggs, date paste, and coconut milk are combined with prayers to create a thick, creamy concoction that can once again transform your undrinkable black coffee into sweet, dreamy caffeine. However, this list is not limited to these items—there may be other foods that you find are not psychologically healthy for your Whole30. Use your best judgment with those foods that aren’t on this list, but that you suspect are not helping you change your habits or break those cravings.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.QzstzGew.dpuf

The Fine Print

The Fine Print

These foods are exceptions to the rule, and are allowed during your Whole30.

• Clarified Butter or Ghee. Clarified butter or ghee is the only source of dairy allowed during your Whole30. Plain old butter is NOT allowed, as the milk proteins found in non-clarified butter could impact the results of your program. Refer to our Butter Manifesto for more details on the milk proteins found in butter, purchasing high quality butter, and how to clarify it yourself.
  • Fruit juice as a sweetener. Some products or recipes will include fruit as a sweetener, which is fine for the purposes of the Whole30. (We have to draw the line somewhere.)
  • Certain legumes. We’re fine with green beans, sugar snap peas and snow peas. While they’re technically a legume, these are far more “pod” than “bean,” and green plant matter is generally good for you.
  • Vinegar. Most forms of vinegar, including white, balsamic, apple cider, red wine, and rice, are allowed during your Whole30 program. The only exceptions are vinegars with added sugar, or malt vinegar, which generally contains gluten.
  • Salt. Did you know that all iodized table salt contains sugar? Sugar (often in the form of dextrose) is chemically essential to keep the potassium iodide from oxidizing and being lost. Because all restaurant and pre-packaged foods contain salt, we’re making salt an exception to our “no added sugar” rule. 

- See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.QzstzGew.dpuf

Laurie - So happy for you and Steve. I too think of you both often and am so impressed with your commitment to each other and your health.

Did I tell you all my New Year's Resolution? Not to mother, coach, help, nurture or fix other people unless asked. (talk about a culture change). My poor adopta-kids had a melt down (too funny). I'm doing all of that for me this year. As I told them, it doesn't mean I won't love and help, it just means I'm spending the year in my life...not a popular NYR.

CC - I need my word for the year. My last one let to a trip to Cabo during a Hurricane...so this year, I want to make sure the universe understands what my word means.

Not Adventurous. Consistent is too boring. driven will turn me into WD. Confident...not sure I could pull that off. Introspective - sounds depressed. HELP.

All my food is cooked. I want to make my cauliflower rice, but everyone is sleeping, so maybe tonight. 

Laurie, I completely agree about the fruit and nuts. I hope your tests go well.

I am going to look for that bacon. I stopped buying bacon and sausage (sugar free) because they were too fatty and salty...what's up with that? Dave, maybe you and kelly should raise some pigs?

Morning all,

quick question.. I can't buy clarified butter here and the ghee that is available isn't very delicious. I was going to make my own ghee however i also cannot buy grass fed butter #smalltownproblems. Can I make ghee out of organic butter? Would it still be complaint?

Is anyone else on this thread intolerant to eggs? A couple years ago I found out I was but i'm REALLY hoping that  by cleaning up my diet I may be able to egg them again.. a little bit. I tried on sunday and ended up sleeping 16 hours yesterday :( so obviously isn't not working yet or maybe ever. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with food intolerances and W30.

Have a great day :)

Sam

Samantha - You can make clarified butter out of organic butter.  What other kind of proteins can you eat, Samantha?  Are you allergic to eggs?    If so, there are many other proteins you can have.    Fish, GF Beef, Turkey, Chicken, Pork, etc.

MeadowLily,

Thanks! That is very exciting.

I'm intolerant to eggs.. they won't kill me, just give me flu like symptoms. I currently usually have ground turkey burgers, stirfry or tuna for breakfast. I used to eat eggs every morning, I LOVE eggs, they are by far my favorite. I'm dealing with the intolerance, was mostly just curious if anyone found that allergies or intolerances decreased by eating a more clean diet. I had read in the book? or maybe online that it's possible we caused our own intolerances due to prior eating habits and that by cleaning up our diet we may be able to resolve them.... here's hoping :)

Morning all,

quick question.. I can't buy clarified butter here and the ghee that is available isn't very delicious. I was going to make my own ghee however i also cannot buy grass fed butter #smalltownproblems. Can I make ghee out of organic butter? Would it still be complaint?

Is anyone else on this thread intolerant to eggs? A couple years ago I found out I was but i'm REALLY hoping that  by cleaning up my diet I may be able to egg them again.. a little bit. I tried on sunday and ended up sleeping 16 hours yesterday :( so obviously isn't not working yet or maybe ever. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with food intolerances and W30.

Have a great day :)

Sam

Hi Sam,

I learned on my first Whole30 that I had developed an intolerance (nausea) to duck eggs.  Bummer, because I raise ducks and ate duck eggs ALL the time.  I stopped all eggs completely for a couple months and when reintroduced, I have no issues with chicken eggs.  But I haven't tried to reintroduce duck eggs yet.  All this is to say that along the way I learned that the albumens in duck eggs are different from chicken eggs, so some people tolerate one but not the other.  So you might try a duck egg and see if it works for you.  When spring comes and my ducks start laying again, I'm going to give them another try, too.

Good luck!

Reporting back on my experiment with rutabagas:  mashed with ghee:  delicious.  Roasted with apple cider vinegar and tossed with parsnips:  meh.  More experimentation to come.

All, I am finding that now that I am consistently adding exercise to my morning routine, I don't have much computer time during the week but you'll hear from me for sure on the weekend!  Know that I too am reading along, and I'll pop in when I can.

Good luck everybody!

Since this is my 2nd Whole30, and I have come to realize it is a cleanse, and I am also going to cleanse my social media exposure. I have decided to include Facebook into my cleanse. It has come to be a habit of checking what my "friends" are doing throughout the day. These next 30 days need to focus on me, not others. Today is actually day 1 for me, so far so good! Have a great day 2 everyone!

It sounds like overall everyone had a good first day.  I love reading through everyone's posts and knowing that I'm not alone.  Having experienced people in the group is great!

My first day was good.  I had no problems eating on plan, but had a headache by late afternoon.  It was probably from not having my daily dose of sugar, milk and a side of coffee.  After dinner, I took a snooze to sleep off the headache and woke up feeling better.  I tried adding coconut milk to my coffee, buuutttt my mind wasn't ready to let go of what it thinks coffee should taste like.  Hopefully, once my taste buds and brain learn how to enjoy what food should really taste like, I'll give the coffee a go again.

Sam - I can't find ghee near my home either, I order mine from Amazon.  I get the "Ancient Organics Ghee", it's 100% organic and it's from grass fed and pastured cows.  It's not cheap, but depending on use, will last a good while.

Have a good day 2 everyone! 

Archived