The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, it comes in powders or capsules. I think the problem with the extract is that it's more potent & you're more likely to take too much if taken on a regular basis.

After that chat I had at the gym on Saturday about the cortisol I've decided to ditch coffee except for special occasions so I've been coffee free since Thursday... I'm a big green tea fan anyways so it's not been that big of a deal - probably cos I'm still getting that caffeine kick!

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5978 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted Yesterday, 01:37 PM

Honestly, the people who count calories lose and gain the same weight over and over again for decades. Get off that escalator and learn a way that actually works for the long-term. Absolutely nothing good comes from counting calories. 

redhat_main.jpg

Grandmaw...are you listening?

Counting calories, points, macros, micros and mackerels.  Throw that goofy lil scale out the window, the one that always falls over while you're measuring out your tiddlywinks, twigs and berries.   Grandmaw, when you gad around town with your Red Hat Club lady friends...all of you stylin' in your red hats after the WW cattle chute weigh-in ...then treat yourselves to a nice big luncheon,  Grandmaw...throw that scale away.

b3cbb450488cd7a4a15e895ce1bc1f39.jpg

Here's where you can find co-founders Dallas Hartwig and Melissa Hartwig in the media in the coming week: 

-- The Today Show, airing Tuesday, April 21. (Not sure exactly what time our short segment will appear, so hopefully you can DVR it!)

-- Health Talk (
Fox News Channel), April 21, 11:15 AM EDT.

-- Just Jenny (with 
Jenny Koppelman Hutt on SiriusXM Radio), April 22, 12:30 PM EDT (Dallas Hartwig)

-- 
Paleo f(x), April 24, 11:00 AM CDT (Melissa Hartwig presenting via FREE LIVESTREAM! Sign up here:http://9life.co/pfxlivestream15)

You may also see a feature in the 
New York Post on April 22nd, so keep an eye out!

And of course follow them both on Instagram:
@DallasHartwig and @Melissa_Hartwig

It's April 21. No more waiting. Wow. 

We wrote this book for you (and your mom, and your best friend, and your kids...). In fact, we wrote it because of you.

You asked for a comprehensive guide to the program all in one place—no internet connection required. We put all of our Whole30 know-how in this book, giving those new to the Whole30 enough background, science, and practical application to h
elp them commit to, prepare for, and complete the program successfully. (This includes teaching them how to cook—one thing our focus groups said was critical to Whole30 success, and a skill most of them didn't have before they started the program.)

However, we didn't exclude our loyal Whole30 veterans. We crafted a lot of brand-new material for this book—things we've mentioned briefly in a social media comment, a forum post, or in a seminar, but were never compiled into one resource. We've given you troubleshooting tips, cooking techniques, and habit-forming strategies that will help you make even more of your next Whole30 experience, whether it's your second round or seventh time through.

We know we’ve been blowing up your social media feeds with all things The 
#Whole30, but we’ve been hard at work on our newest “baby” for more than 18 months now, and it’s all been leading up to today, the day we’ve all been waiting for…

The official release* of The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom!

Available today wherever books are sold. 

- Melissa Hartwig & Dallas Hartwig

*The book releases in the U.S. and Canada today, but you’ll have to wait until April 23 if you’re in the UK, or June 9 if you’re in Australia.

Read more about our "I am Whole30" t-shirt giveaway this week at 
Whole30.com/blog.

At one time, I wanted to do this but my husband talked me out of it.   He explained to me what this would do to my body over a long period.  I wanted to but I did not.   He told me to stick with a WINNING GAME and keep on with my Whole 30.   I wanted to speed things up but he told me to "stick with Tom and I won't go wrong."  I don't believe this approach is necessary for women for a weight release or healing inflammation, diabetes, hypothyroidism, hormones and heart disease.    Cancer, epilepsy...yes, it would be worth doing.

Most of my work time this week was spent preparing for my upcoming Paleo F(x)presentation, although I'm working on a couple of other big projects as well.  My presentation will be Sunday April 26th, at 1:30pm CT on the Keynote Stage (you can sign up here to watch via live streaming if you aren't attending the conference this year).  My talk is titled "The Dangers of a Ketogenic Diet:  Why Most of Us Shouldn't Do It" which certainly has many members of the ketogenic diet community's hackles raised.  I will be introducing my talk as comparable to the fine print in a prescription drug ad.  The ketogenic diet has tremendous therapeutic potential in specific conditions, however these benefits come at a price.  Like a drug, there are pros and cons to the ketogenic diet. Long-term studies have identified a variety of adverse reactions that occur with high enough frequency that the possibility of harm needs to be part of any discussion of the potential merits of a ketogenic diet.  Given the lack of public acknowledgment that people have died during ketogenic diet clinical trials, I feel obligated to help increase awareness of the risks associated with this diet.  Like a drug, there are situations where a ketogenic diet could potentially be life-saving--but that doesn't mean it's right for everyone. 

Yes, my talk will be provocative.  But, my talk will not overstep the bounds of scientific evidence and will cite data from dozens of clinical trials and mechanistic scientific studies.  I know that many people will be interested in reading the original research for themselves, so I'm also working on a free download with study summaries and links to the scientific papers which will hopefully be available by the time Paleo F(x) ends.

I started to research the effects of rebound weight gain for those who've shed 50, 75, 100, 150 pounds and what happens to the body when every one of those pounds is regained.  Rebound weight gain does not come back on with lean muscle mass.   It's fat and not a healthy fat.  The amount of fat around the heart and other organs....a fatty liver - no one wants that.

A Whole 30 is reasonable restriction and not over-restriction.   Flour, sugar and trans fats spike fat-storage hormones and inflame cells that bring on diabetes and hypothyroidism.   There are all kinds of Paleo out there.   Most of them have Paleo desserts, fries, breakfast cereal SWYPO's and cray cray shizzz.   

I'm anxious to get my new Whole 30 book.   I hope  Larabars are gone.   :D 

I'm minding my own weight and leaving everyone else out of it.  This is a personal marathon and not a sprint.  I'm not writing my stats down because I've learned they only matter if you can stick the landing. This is not competition with each other.   It's better to stay in your own lane.  Don't look to the left or right or back over your shoulder.   Keep your eyes on the prize.   Swing for the fences.   Fight for your life.

Whole 30 changes people's lives quickly.   From the first time you try it,  you'll get the sense this is different than all of the other fluffed up versions of Paleo.   I am saddened by the logs that are primarily filled with fruits and nuts.  I long to see those who are willing to eat beef, fish, bison, fowl and all of the other authentic complete enzyme proteins.   Where have all the flowers gone?   The healing is in the leaves and authentic proteins.   Nuts are fats and beans are carbs.  Vegetables trump fruits for healing.

Women have unique, complicated bodies.  They can't handle extreme anything in the same ways that men can.  In the beginning, I wanted 10-15 lbs a month.   It didn't happen that way.   Four pounds a month is the most you should ask from yourself.    I've read the success stories and I measure true success if you can stick the landing  1-5 years down the road.   Large amounts of rebound weight gain is not whole or healthy. It puts you further in the hole.    

I'm going slow but I will get there when I get there.   Making smart decisions coming out of a Whole 30 is the most important thing you can do.   It takes just as much thought and attention as completing an authentic Whole 30 does.

I'm anxious to get my new Whole 30 book.   I hope  Larabars are gone.   :D 

I am saddened by the logs that are primarily filled with fruits and nuts.  I long to see those who are willing to eat beef, fish, bison, fowl and all of the other authentic complete enzyme proteins.   Where have all the flowers gone?   The healing is in the leaves and authentic proteins.   

:D 

Me too. Every time I read the word 'larabar' I shudder involuntarily as I believe it goes completely against the spirit of whole30. It's a convenience food and it's lazy, and whilst it may be 'compliant' it's an emergency food for a reason - and I'll be damned if I've EVER found myself in a situation where I'd have considered (or would consider) it *that* much of an emergency that I'd need to eat one.

I can just imagine the two of us ranting on the subject from our soap boxes over a mug of green tea if I was ever to find myself in your neck of the woods - or you in mine....  :P 

• Administrators

:D 

Me too. Every time I read the word 'larabar' I shudder involuntarily as I believe it goes completely against the spirit of whole30. It's a convenience food and it's lazy, and whilst it may be 'compliant' it's an emergency food for a reason - and I'll be damned if I've EVER found myself in a situation where I'd have considered (or would consider) it *that* much of an emergency that I'd need to eat one.

I find larabars a funny thing.  Much like the long-term great success folks don't eat fruits as a general rule, they don't eat larabars.  If I have time to pack food "in case of emergency" then I'll take actual food.  Also, if you're planning for your emergency then you'll never have one.  ;)  I've found on the odd instance where I've had an ACTUAL food emergency out in the world that I would need to go into a store and buy a larabar. Stores that have larabars generally also have cans of fish or hard boiled eggs or, at the very worst, an actual piece of whole fruit.    

Me too. Every time I read the word 'larabar'fryingpan.gif  I shudder involuntarily as I believe it goes completely against the spirit of whole30. It's a convenience food and it's lazy, and whilst it may be 'compliant' it's an emergency food for a reason - and I'll be damned if I've EVER found myself in a situation where I'd have considered (or would consider) it *that* much of an emergency that I'd need to eat one.

I can just imagine the two of us ranting coach000.gif on the subject from our soap boxes  soapbox.gif  over a mug of green tea  drink.gif  if I was ever to find myself  broc.gifin your neck of the woods - or you carrot.gifin mine....   hug.gif

I find larabars a funny thing.  Much like the long-term great success folks don't eat fruits as a general rule, they don't eat larabars.  If I have time to pack food "in case of emergency" then I'll take actual food.  Also, if you're planning for your emergency then you'll never have one.   ;)  I've found on the odd instance where I've had an ACTUAL food emergency out in the world that I would need to go into a store and buy a larabar. Stores that have larabars generally also have cans of fish or hard boiled eggs or, at the very worst, an actual piece of whole fruit.    

^Yes!! This!!

Dunno.gif  Larabars are lazy....neat lil packages on the shelf.    soapbox.gif   They are technically compliant to eat fruits and nuts all the live long day but  I'm telling you,  I'm telling you.....the proof is in the goofing.   If you goof off for 30 days, Tiger Blood won't come and knock on your door.

Have you noticed that no one even talks about it anymore?   It's not overrated.  It's real but it's going extinct with all of these fruit and nut Whole 30's.   No one eats beef, bison, wild game, fish, fowl or pork.   They're living on fruits, nuts and tiddlywinks.   WESnowball%20Fight.gif

I have only ever had 1 (one) larabar ever, and it was shortly after I was diagnosed with diabetes and trying to get things under control. I took too much insulin one morning before I went out running errands. Well, you guessed it, my blood sugar dropped and I needed something and I grabbed a larabar. I was in an old non superstore walmart so they didn't have a grocery section and I grabbed what I thought was best. Yep, I choked that icky thing down and I took the cure for sure right there! I would have been better off with a straight up candy bar! Needless to say, I make sure I am prepared just in case when I am out and about.  

• Administrators

I would have been better off with a straight up candy bar! Needless to say, I make sure I am prepared just in case when I am out and about.  

At least if people eat a straight up candy bar they, at some level, know that it's shit food. People are twisting "healthy" and "compliant" and making larabars fit when in fact they are, sorry....but shit food.

Edit: PS, I stopped eating them outright (pre-Whole30, actually) when the little original Larabar company got purchase by Kellogs and then Kellog started funnelling millions of dollars into the fight against GMO labelling. 

I find larabars a funny thing.  Much like the long-term great success folks don't eat fruits as a general rule, they don't eat larabars.  If I have time to pack food "in case of emergency" then I'll take actual food.  Also, if you're planning for your emergency then you'll never have one.   ;)  I've found on the odd instance where I've had an ACTUAL food emergency out in the world that I would need to go into a store and buy a larabar. Stores that have larabars generally also have cans of fish or hard boiled eggs or, at the very worst, an actual piece of whole fruit.    

Stores that have larabars generally also have cans of fish or hard boiled eggs or, at the very worst, an actual piece of whole fruit.    

Archived