The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

Everyone on the WD30  already knows this but it was a good reminder in my newspaper for T1 and T2,  all others hoping to avoid diabetes in their futures.

"If it's packaged, it's probably packed with hidden sugars.  Here are the top five that diabetics should avoid."     I have,  I will and I do.   Starting at the top.

"Dried fruit"   "In some cases it has more sugar grams than candy.  One cup has 72 grams of sugar"

"Protein Bars"  "Most bars have anywhere from 12 to 40 grams of sugar"

"Tomato Sauce"  "It's digested so rapidly in your body that it spikes insulin just like sugar"

"Fruit Yogurts"  "It tastes like dessert because it is dessert".  "Fruit yogurt is one of the biggest sugar bombs on the shelves. "

"BBQ Sauce"   "Two tablespoons has 15 grams of sugar"

There's the top hidden sugar bombs to avoid.   I have.   I will.     I do.   You already knew but when you go off-roading...cause for pause.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Everyone on the WD30  already knows this but it was a good reminder in my newspaper for T1 and T2,  all others hoping to avoid diabetes in their futures.

"If it's packaged, it's probably packed with hidden sugars.  Here are the top five that diabetics should avoid."     I have,  I will and I do.   Starting at the top.

"Dried fruit"   "In some cases it has more sugar grams than candy.  One cup has 72 grams of sugar"

"Tomato Sauce"  "It's digested so rapidly in your body that it spikes insulin just like sugar"

"Fruit Yogurts"  "It tastes like dessert because it is dessert".  "Fruit yogurt is one of the biggest sugar bombs on the shelves. "

There's the top hidden sugar bombs to avoid.   I have.   I will.     I do.   You already knew but when you go off-roading...cause for pause.

Good List!  I surmise though that the compliant tomato sauce that Whole30'ers put on their zoodles with protein and fats would not hit blood sugar in quite the same way that a cheap, sugar laden tomato sauce placed over pasta would. 

I have, I will, and I do.....

I also spend my days trying to get others to do likewise - they aren't always receptive, but I'll get to them eventually - one nagging nutritional conversation at a time....  :D

I asked the dairy manager of the local grocery store why all of the plain yogurts have disappeared off of our shelves.   He said...don't you know it takes sugar to make yogurt?   I said....Oooooooo really, huh...hmmmmmm.   Oooooo really?!

Are you kidding me?!  Guess you better tell that to Greece, France, Switzerland, Ireland and oh, brother.  He was telling me it was necessary for all of them to be loaded to the gills with that fruity sugar blob at the bottom or mixed althrough.

Sooooo silly.

It's difficult to convince others that sugar is crack. It doesn't matter what form it comes in.  Soda pop chugger or fruity yogurt slurper.  Falling back into bowls of pasta and pizza and bread.   T2 is real.  It might take years to show its head but when it does...there's years that went into its making.    

I gave up coffee and I've been drinking green tea.  It doesn't move me like coffee.  I can drink 1-3 cups aday at the most. I normally use the same old bag.  jmcbn convinced me to make the switch for blood sugar and cortisol purposes.  Thank you, jmcbn.  

I surmise though that the compliant tomato sauce that Whole30'ers put on their zoodles with protein and fats would not hit blood sugar in quite the same way that a cheap, sugar laden tomato sauce placed over pasta would. 

Yes, Lady Shanny.   It's only the high fructose corn syrup/sugar tomato sauces.   Not compliant tomato sauces.

I gave up coffee and I've been drinking green tea.  It doesn't move me like coffee.  I can drink 1-3 cups aday at the most. I normally use the same old bag.  jmcbn convinced me to make the switch for blood sugar and cortisol purposes.  Thank you, jmcbn.  

Have you tried different brands of green tea - you need to find one you like.... the china 'white monkey' I mentioned before is a totally different brew too if you can find it - when I drink that I can feel myself wind down immediately, and yet it has a definite caffeine kick to it - it's a loose leaf rather than a tea bag so you need a little strainer you can hang in your mug. It's also not so bitter as the green tea. I'm sure if you went to a speciality store, or found a good website, you could find something you like. 

Have you tried different brands of green tea - you need to find one you like.... the china 'white monkey' I mentioned before is a totally different brew too if you can find it - when I drink that I can feel myself wind down immediately, and yet it has a definite caffeine kick to it - it's a loose leaf rather than a tea bag so you need a little strainer you can hang in your mug. It's also not so bitter as the green tea. I'm sure if you went to a speciality store, or found a good website, you could find something you like. 

We don't have any speciality stores.   I guess I'll order.  Thanks a mllion for the good tips.

Last week, I gave a 40-minute presentation at #PFX15on Friends, Family, and Food. My goal was to help you talk about food in a way that brings you closer to those you love, instead of creating distance. One of the main themes of my talk was this: don't talk about your new "diet" over food. Why is this a hard-and-fast rule you should adopt?

1. Food is highly emotional; far more than exercise, med
itation, or other healthy endeavors. Talking about food can be as divisive as politics or religion.

2. A discussion of what you are or are not eating can make your table mates feel criticized and defensive, as they almost certainly have some of your "less healthy" foods on their plate at that very moment. This creates distance; a "me vs. them" scenario.

3. You may find yourself reacting defensively, aggressively, or judgmentally if you receive criticism or peer pressure from your companions, which will only create further distance.

Your strategy? A quick deflection, then immediately change the subject. "I'm doing this 30-day health reset. I'd love to tell you more after lunch. How did your big presentation go?" Or "My lunch isn't that exciting. I'll fill you in later, but now I want to see some new photos of your cute kids!" Or "Oh, I never talk about diets over food, it ruins the experience. Ask me about it when lunch is over, I want to hear more about your date last night."

You don't have to choose between close relationships with family and friends and maintaining your new healthy eating efforts. For more strategies, see the new
#Whole30 book, and stay tuned for more from myPaleo f(x)presentation. #changeyourlife#foodisjustthebeginning #dearmelissa

Hey guys, been AWOL for a bit. My mom fell down basement stairs Wednesday afternoon. Been at the hospital most of these last few days. She broke both bones in her right forearm, bruised up quite a bit, a 7 cm laceration on the back of her head and has a small subdural hematoma. Was cleared for surgery yesterday afternoon to fix her arm. Doing well considering. Good news is I stayed compliant. Today is day 101. May trial regular dairy today. Last whole30 retrial, I trialed raw dairy with no issues. wait til after the weekend to start trials. Will be on vacation for 9 days then. Anywho, just wanted to let ya know what's up. Keep calm and whole30 on!

Hey Denise - so sorry to hear about your mum - that was quite a fall! She's lucky she has you there to support her through surgery & recovery... Sending healing vibes her way & yours. Good for you for staying compliant through the drama - it can't have been easy. Dairy, eh? Let me know how that one goes - it's about the  only one I'd like to eat on occasion so I'm always interested how it goes for others, although given the absence of my nasal congestion since I cut it out I think it's fair to say it's not my friend.  :( 

Keep us posted on how things go with your mum & with the food trials.... Stay strong!

Oooooo Denise,  I can't stand it when our parents get hurt.   I'm so sorry.  I pray for complete healing and recovery for your dear Mom.

I can't stand to see anyone get hurt...ever.   I couldn't be a nurse or doctor.  Broken bones and things like that make me want to pass out.  I don't  but I want to.  

Archived