The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

ok serious question:  i might try to make the mayo;  i keep hearing it's not hard .... but my supermarket only has mccormick's dry mustard, no ingredients listed.  any of you know if this has other stuff in it?  what brand should I be looking for?  

anybody have an easy dressing recipe for me?  easy being the key word.  otherwise i'll just stick to my limes and salt and pepper...

thanks!

Tulip

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok serious question:  i might try to make the mayo;  i keep hearing it's not hard .... but my supermarket only has mccormick's dry mustard, no ingredients listed.  any of you know if this has other stuff in it?  what brand should I be looking for?  

anybody have an easy dressing recipe for me?  easy being the key word.  otherwise i'll just stick to my limes and salt and pepper...

thanks!

Tulip

I made an aioli off Paleomg's site with an emersion blender. It was a snap! I'm making mayo tomorrow! I don't know what might be in the mustard. Try typing the name plus nutrition facts in a google.

Very, very easy mayo recipe!

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

No blender, no drizzling slowly till your hand gets a cramp, no letting things come to room temp! All you need is a measuring cup and an immersion blender (stick blender). Works every time!

I use dry mustard also but some people add spicy mustard according to their taste.

Hi all -

This is my 1st W30, and Jan 12th is my start date.  It ends just in time for Mardi Gras, so I could re-introduce some king cake if I so choose - did y'all plan that on purpose?   If there's still time to jump on this party wagon, I'll FedEx my check to y'all..........

Hi all!

I completed my first whole 30 in November...it was tough but loved it. Then I signed up for January 2nd...then pushed it back to January 5th...then...well I think everyone can see where this is going. My job is incredibly stressful at the moment and I feel like I cant do a whole30 with that as well. But the hard truth is that I can but I am using that as a crutch because frankly does anyone have an entirely stress free month? Nope..so I am in for January 12th. This seems like a great group so if you all will have me I would love to be part of it :)

Dave - I live in the UK so I will check the exchange rate and put the check in the mail! :)

Looking forward to the journey again.

Ah, just like the old days - you miss one day and you are pages behind! It's so good to be back together!

Higs - Congrats on all your running progress! Is there a race in your future? One of my friends asked me to do a 5k a month with her all year. We did January, but man, it's so cold these days! I have been recuperating from plantar fasciitis, and therefore taking it easy. I am checking out a program called "Unbeatable Body" which is a strengthening program for our weak spots (shoulders, feet, ankles, hips, etc.) to try and get ready for this season. Rick wants to do 3 triathlons! I've created a monster!

Hi CC!  Thank you!  I am super motivated right now.  I have a 5k planned for Jan 31 - "Worst Day of the Year Run" and will plan a couple others this spring.  There is a 10k near the end of April which might be a little too soon for me but if not then I'll go for a June 10k.  Then the BIG goal is a half marathon at the end of October.  I've already registered!  How's that for setting my sights on something?

A 5k per month, great idea!  I bought myself some really really awesome super warm running tights on sale from Athleta and they are so snuggly I look forward to the cold day runs.  Plantar fasciitis, ugh. I had a touch of that last spring too, and ended up with orthotics.  I hope you are well on your way to mended.  My PT is all ankles and hips so I can relate to your strengthening program.  Three tris, go, Rick! 

I am also planning another backpacking trip or two this summer, narrowing in now on August for a trip with my sister in the Wallowa mountains of eastern Oregon (there are wolf packs that live there!).  I don't know if I'll try to make that one a compliant one though - that was a lot of work last summer trying to maintain a Whole30 on the trail.  I managed, but it required a lot more extra planning and was weird to not share meals with my friends in the same way.

Happy Sunday, everyone!

Hello all - Thought I would come along for the ride - I look forward to amazing!!

So good to see so many old friends (Hi, Dave, Miki, Lily, Higs, CC, Laurie) and look forward to meeting many new -

I ending up doing a whole 53 last summer, and have gradually worked my way out to eating junk, I allowed the holidays to completely send me over the edge -

My body is begging for good food and my heart is begging for good supportive friends - So what better place to be than right here with the Dirty 30!

Got my bone broth in the crock pot, compliant bacon thawing, and headed to the grocery store.

Thanks, Ann for the great picture of brussels and bacon, yum -will be adding that to the menu this week.

Thanks, GrannieD for the link to the mayo recipe - I will try my hand at it for the first time.

Tomorrow is the big day!!! See you there,

Sadie

Sadie!!  Welcome back!  You know you are in the right place.  LOVE this group.  Congrats on your 53 days.  Wow!  I fell apart over the holidays, too.  It feels really good to be back on track now, with renewed motivation for the long haul.

Hi All!  I did my grocery shopping today and just about ready to start cooking for the week.  I am good with dinner for my family, they are pretty easy going and will pretty much eat whatever I cook (as long as it taste good).  I struggle with breakfast and lunch for myself.  So today I am concentrating on cooking breakfast and lunch foods for myself, as well as cutting and chopping some healthy snacks to have on hand.  I'm a coffee drinker (cream and sugar).... so I'm hoping that between homemade bone broth and having several varieties of tea, will help satisfy that coffee/caffeine addiction.  I'm both looking forward to tomorrow and nervous, but happy that I've found this group for support.  Happy cooking everyone!!

Tomorrow is the big day!!! See you there,

Sadie

Is everyone filled with joy and optimism that comes with the new year and a new Whole 30?

There are trouser socks fomenting revolution with ankle and knee socks in my drawers.  Some sort of order in that chaos must be imposed.

Chores are a big part of our success.  When dcducks  coach000.gif gives us our marching orders,  I pretend we are in the barracks, scrubbing floors, bathrooms, washing cars, cleaning out drawers, folding laundry, and dcducks is checking off our progress  on his clipboard.   I told my mother this the other day.   She asked  me....."did that include coming over to your folkaroni's house and vacuuming/dusting the house from top to bottom?"   Why,  yes it does.    I pretend alot of things until they manifest and come true.  Then it's no longer pretending, it is reality.

I pretended that everyone would come back and there would be a new WD30 group.  I kept visiting with myself and talking to the Universe on the now retired WD30 thread.   I'm no longer pretending.   You came back and I am very happy.

I pretended that I could be happy every single day for my family's sake.   Some members are chair/homebound.   I used the chore strategy with happiness to motivate myself.   I would swing my tail feathers, play music until the ground was shaking and getter' done.

The other day,  I was visiting with a retired Air Force gentleman at the cement pond about the W30 group.    My mother was listening.  I take her swimming for water therapy.   He's motivated and dedicated with his fitness goals.  It is contagious.     I need your discipline because I wing it and swing from the rafters.     I just wanted you to know what kind of nutter you're dealing with here.  freaked.gif

I would love to join this group. I'm starting tomorrow and had a couple previous false starts. I realize what is important though and know that the days go by whether I do the Whole 30 or not! How do I want to feel in 30 days? Proud? Or same place that I am now? If I would have stuck to it on Jan 12th, I would of been finishing my Day 11 today!! On Feb 11th I want to feel proud!! Do I need to pay a late registration fee?? Hope not cause my check is already in the mail!!

I will get this Whole 30 done once and for all!

Ready for take off!! Mayo made, breakfast for the week made, salad fixings ready, roast in the oven! I even made ghee for the 1st time yesterday (it came out kinda dark but not burnt tasting so I'll have to try to do better next time - as my mom used to say ''c'est la vie"!!!).

Hi All!

We're doing pretty well staying compliant while in Nashville. Lunch today was challenging, though.  I asked them to tell me about the Roasted Vegetable Plate.

"well, it starts with grits..."  Ok, I'm out. 

Can I have the chicken fried steak without the "chicken fried?"

No.

These are the challenges with traveling and eating out three meals a day for 6 days in a row!  I did make a trip to the grocery store - we have a fridge in the room - and all is well.

For those of you starting doing this for the first time - my favorite resource: The Whole 30 Timeline

Days 9 & 10 were VERY TOUGH for me this time.  I was inches away from giving up. Very angry to have to go through all the backflips that go along with compliant food. I think that everyone who's done this before would agree that sticking with it is worth it.  I read that days 10 & 11 are when you are most likely to quit. I'm telling you ahead of time - DO NOT DO IT!  Meadow, will you give me an AMEN??   :D

I've made mayo by hand and by immersion blender. Somehow, by hand always turns out better. My favorite version is Nom Nom Paleo Mayo

Steph - I use coconut milk (canned) in my coffee. It's funny but I've tried about 10 brands, and I only really like one - Kroger!  

Welcome back Sadie!

Angie - I like how you think! Meadow might give you another perspective when it comes time for re-intros.

Mik - what's going on? I love keeping up with you on FB - any new dates on the horizon?

Wishing everyone great success tomorrow!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Mayo for the week is made. Waldorf Tuna Salad made for lunch for 2 days (x2 people), chicken is thawing for the Madras Chicken Salad for lunch x2 days (x2 people as well). Still have sweet potato hash browns to make for breakfast for the week and sausage patties. Almost there!

Thanks for letting me join in! 

Cooked all day! So glad that a lot of Cajun comfort food is compliant -- browned some juicy pork (seasoned with Slap Ya Mama) in coconut oil in my old black iron pot, smothered it down with onions, garlic and the last of the sweet banana peppers from the garden. Plucked a few nice turnips from the winter garden and added them to the pot.  Made the most gorgeous gravy.  Whoop-whoop!! Enjoyed some with rice today.  (Around here, most everything is rice-and-gravy.)  Will enjoy the rest tomorrow sans rice. :D

Didn't throw out the turnip greens, smothered them down separately.  Also smothered a pot of leaks and a pot of collard greens from the garden, so got some greens lined up for a few days.

Also cooked butternut squash for the first time; made a big pot of soup with it, carrots and beef, based on one of Melissa Joulwan's recipes.

Plan to bake some sweet potatoes tomorrow.  Love to smell them baking in the wintertime.

Was going to make some clarified butter, but misplaced the cheesecloth I bought last week.  Geesh!  Maybe tomorrow if I can find the danged thing....

GrannieD, I see you're from N.O.  I'm about an hour away near Morgan City. Small world!

later,

-a

Hi Team,

I will try and keep up with this group, but sometimes I just can't. Please know that I try to read everyone's posts and I'm thinking positive thoughts for all of us. It is easy, especially after you feel good, isn't it? Those who are new, err on the side of caution...if you're not sure, don't eat it. Bring it to the group, someone should know. THAT SAID, Tulip - did anyone answer your dry mustard question? I will try to check, honestly it never occurred to me it might not be, shame on me!

I too shopped and cooked after I got home from my weekend. I just realized that I won't be able to drink my pre-workout drink...but as soon as I get the Turbo-energy I'll be okay. Meanwhile, I guess I just have to manuUP. I'm going to keep my diet simple for now. If I get bored, I'll branch out. Mainly cauli-rice with soft cooked egg, Ground Chicken & Kale, with a roasted veggie for lunch and tuna or chicken or egg for dinner, all with lots of veggies.  I just do better with less choices. 

All you runners, very impressive.

CC - love the "chicken fried steak, sans the fried steak"...and they couldn't OMIT the GRITS? YOU ARE SO GOOD...

Meadow must be C&Ring before I can read...goodness.

Now I'm going to try and find the thread where Meadow posts her daily meals.

For all who've asked or wondered. DEB is doing great...AIP (?) and focused on support for that. Her health is great and she and I will try to get together in Feb or March at a restaurant that is AIP friendly.

Sleep well folks, for tomorrow the healing begins!

Hugs

Hurricane

• Moderators

thanks!

Tulip

Dry mustard is a spice, ground mustard seeds. If it had something else other than that in it, it would say -- for instance, some spices may have something like silicon dioxide to keep them from clumping. If you look at spices and dried herbs that are just an individual spice or herb, they won't list ingredients, because all that's in them is that spice or herb. Some things are spice mixes, and they'll list ingredients, like chili powder or Italian seasoning or pumpkin pie spice.

Long story short -- dried mustard with no ingredient list is fine, because it's just ground mustard seeds.

GOOD morning and HAPPY FRIDAY!!

I will be a cooking/prepping/packaging MANIC this weekend! My bone broth is made, jarred, and ready to go. All the other food happens tomorrow and Sunday. I’m excited for Monday!!

I find myself struggling trying to explain this Whole30 to my friends … coming up with the right words for the psychological effects, etc. How do you all explain Whole30?

Good Luck Mik!!

Everyone enjoy your weekend!

Dawn

Hi Dawn,  do you put egg shells on your bone broth? The recipe I read called for it, but I skipped, since I am eating some of the veggies and meat in the broth.  I used bone marrow bone, but some tail bones with meat too. My second question, I read about all the benefits for the bone broth, that I why I made it, but how do you incorporate it in your diet?

Thank you!!!

Meadow, belated congrats on your DAY 222!!!!!  Holy guacamole, you are a force.  I am glad I got to play a teensy part by introducing to the world of balsamic reductions.  Three cheers for Meadow!

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hooray!

Ann, LOL.  My partner and I have had this debate ad nauseum.  Of course since one can find ANYTHING on the internet, our positions were both irrefutable.  Some things just have multiple names!  I like bone broth because I reuse the bones over and over until they basically disintegrate.  I say bone broth with PRIDE!

Meadow, Miki, I posted some bone broth links up above, back on page 3.  You flew past 'em!  You are both, in the words of Deb, "en fuego!"

And speaking of Deb:  I loved her IOD (Ingredients of the Day for you new folks) posts.  I don't know who besides Deb (except Meadow and Miki, of course) could possibly have the time and energy to researching all those recipes.  We could repost the same ones because there are still a gazillion untried recipes.  I never came close to keeping up with the IOD - maybe I'd squeeze in two or three a week.  Personally for this round I want to try ONE brand new to me ingredient and/or recipe each week.  For me this week that is going to mean rutabagas!

Dave, congratulations on the new fridge!  Did you name her?  Break a Cap'n Morgan over her bow?

Me, I'm on Day 6 over here and just completed (finally) my Couch to 5k program, so after tons of physical therapy and stick-to-it-iveness I have conquered and am on the road to running, at last.  Over the last year I have worked with sports medicine docs, physical therapists, chiropractors, massage therapists, on and on and FINALLY late this fall found a PT that does running clinics and really looks at biomechanics.  Eureka.  I know now what my specific imbalances are (most stem from an untreated ankle sprain over 20 years ago) and how to strengthen those areas so I don't compensate for them in all the ways that have led to my string of injuries and inability to run for the past many years.  So now I am taking those baby steps with so much more confidence than I've had and I am RUNNING again.  Yay me!

Happy prep this weekend, all.

Hummmm, so freeze the bones and the reuse them??? I am really learning here

Welcome everyone to our launch date! I said LAUNCH date NOT LUNCH date! Put your forks down! It's Monday the 12th and our last day will be February 10th. We have 30 days of goodness ahead of us. For the "first timers", make sure you stay compliant! If you can't....you are out and will need to pick up with a different group! BE HONEST TO US AND TO YOURSELF! The first week will be tough as your body searches for all of the sugar that you were feeding it. Make sure your foods are compliant......NOT SURE?.....ASK!

I finally got a new fridge delivered yesterday so I am all stocked up and ready to go. 2015 has been rough so far with several things breaking and falling apart. I went duck hunting Saturday and my passenger window motor broke with the window half down. At least it was a balmy 16 degrees out. Anyway, just getting the negative stuff out of the way early.....it WILL be a great year!

The former members of this group know that we are not just about eating better...... We are about doing everything better! We are going to be discussing recipes, do's and don'ts, chores, music, stuff to do, things to see..............anything and everything to make you more.......WHOLE! If it was up to me, we would call it WHOLE 360 since I want the program to encompass EVERYTHING! 

Todays chore is to clean ALL of your floors in your entire house! DO IT! And this time....actually move stuff that's in the way....don't just vacuum around it! Sweep, mop, scrub.....whatever it takes!

Dave

Archived