The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

Laurie/Steve....I've been keeping up with you and ChiggerCane.   Thanks for the new update. hug.gif

MeadowLily,

Thanks! That is very exciting.

I'm intolerant to eggs.. they won't kill me, just give me flu like symptoms. I currently usually have ground turkey burgers, stirfry or tuna for breakfast. I used to eat eggs every morning, I LOVE eggs, they are by far my favorite. I'm dealing with the intolerance, was mostly just curious if anyone found that allergies or intolerances decreased by eating a more clean diet. I had read in the book? or maybe online that it's possible we caused our own intolerances due to prior eating habits and that by cleaning up our diet we may be able to resolve them.... here's hoping :)

Do you eat beef?   :) 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laurie - Dancing here for you and Steve. Always keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.  I am keeping my fruits to a minimum and no nuts, or I will go Nuts on it hehehe

Geminik: On your resolution, I should have done exactly the same, but so far, I can help it, the mother/doctor in me is in action at all times...

CC - Talking to the Universe/God/Laws of Love, you name it, but learning a more positive language and one that allows me get the results I want from life and not what I had been getting. Learning curve, full of gratitude for life :-) a Healthy and prosperous life

Dave, Ann, Higgs, and all the new wonderful people here, Happy dancing and welcome, warm thoughts to all of you!

Day 9 for me here. Seriously considering going 60 or 90 days this time. Health and mental purposes driven.

M1 - BPC - 3 boiled eggs

M2 - Soup, bones, meat, and veggies, 1 small avocado

M3 - Salmon and cauliflower, 1 Apple

Day 1 went well yesterday! I had stomach issues all day (but that's normal for me)...hopefully by cutting out all the bad things, i'll get to the bottom of what seems to be causing me issues all of the time. Over the weekend I made a huge batch of chicken vegetable soup and a bunch of mini egg white veggie breakfast fritatas which have been great for breakfast to just heat up. Last night my sister came over and we made turkey taco salads and roasted some sweet potatoes. I hope everyone's first day went well! On to day 2!

some people finds that avoiding eggs and nuts help with stomach issues.  Keep and eye on fruits as well. Best to you

DC ducks, being the flag carrier scares me to death!  I am not a leader in any shape or form!  But, it does give me some responsibility to stay true - thank you for that! 

Re: intolerance to eggs - I also gave chicken eggs up for a few months because I thought they were upsetting my stomach and making me feel terrible all around - I had been eating 4-6 a day, every day for over a year.  Since I have reintroduced them (at 3 or fewer a day, at least two days off a week), I haven't had any problems. 

Great day 1.  I was still hungry after dinner, though, so I made a coconut milk and frozen cherry smoothie.  Someone pointed out on my log that I may not be getting enough fat during the day.  Day 2 is where the sugar cravings seem to really be strong for me, but so far, so good today.  Thinking about going to the gym after work.  My plan originally was to not worry about exercise for the first few weeks, since I haven't been consistent with it, anyway.  I know I've got some tiresome days ahead, so I may want to take advantage of feeling good today. 

Chore for today will be putting the Christmas boxes up on the attic - I've been putting that off, trudging up and down the stairs, but will be so glad when it's done! 

I don't spend much time contemplating the big picture  concept of a life without comfort food  because that sounds friggin' insanely terrible.   But every day I make a decision not to eat Cheetos or _____, fortunately with every day that goes by that decision does get easier.

Same way here. exactly how I feel my dear Meadow

Same way here. exactly how I feel my dear Meadow

NannyD - I have joy and optimism for your new year.   I think about what all you've been through and this is the best thing you could be doing for your recovery.   You're a precious jewel of the WD30.

I eat all other types of meat. I do not currently use protein powder to supplment due to W30 but typically I use the Vega one.. I'm also allergic to whey and most protein powders make me bloated. It's nice having the PP to help with breakfast options.. just a little easier than whipping up a whole meal. I obviously do lots of left overs and mostly just feel sorry for myself regarding my eggs lol.

Thanks so much! So many great ideas!

Was there a recipe in there that I missed? 

I can always google for a recipe, but wondered if there was one that you were particularly fond of?

PS - Are a couple of those pics inside Old Faithful Inn? I'm so excited because THIS is the year I get to 'meet' her!!

PPS - vous êtes les bienvenus (I do not know any French, I had to look it up!)

I eat all other types of meat. I do not currently use protein powder to supplment due to W30 but typically I use the Vega one.. I'm also allergic to whey and most protein powders make me bloated. It's nice having the PP to help with breakfast options.. just a little easier than whipping up a whole meal. I obviously do lots of left overs and mostly just feel sorry for myself regarding my eggs lol.

Okay.   Alrighty then!   I was going to help you figure out some other proteins to eat.   Whewwww!   I'm glad you already knew that protein powders/smoothies are off the table for 30 days for those who are not following the vegan Whole 30.

Because if anyone out there is following The Vegan Whole 30.....we will be Yodel-Lay-Heeeeee-Hooooooo-ing

for GFChris or Miss Mary, other Mods.   They know the amount of protein grams required to fulfill your ratios for best results.  

Thanks so much! So many great ideas!

Was there a recipe in there that I missed? 

I can always google for a recipe, but wondered if there was one that you were particularly fond of?

PS - Are a couple of those pics inside Old Faithful Inn? I'm so excited because THIS is the year I get to 'meet' her!!

PPS - vous êtes les bienvenus (I do not know any French, I had to look it up!)

I'm leaving this to Higs.   Higs gave me the basic recipe and I've mixed it up so much that I never make the same thing twice.   Higs makes tweaks to her BB (bone broth),  BR (balsamic reductions)....she is the creative genius behind variations on every theme.

help me please i'm too far in on day 13 and about to have a snack attack!  I think I'm actually thirsty; is coconut water allowed?  just keep me away from the potato chips!!! chocolate and leftover birthday cake!

meadow lily my almond milk is compliant;  i have the book and have read it  . . . sometime on jan 1 i decided to plunge in!   all this making stuff is a little overwhelming to me, so I'm not making almond milk... also mushy cooked veggies make me gag

now my brain is so foggy I can't figure out how many 700ml water bottles = my usual big 3 liter bottle i use to keep up with my water intake.... since I'm thirsty I know i'm not keeping up today;

is this the tiger blood I read about?  

I really needed a nap today but baby wouldn't nap I found he had doodled in red permanent marker on the wall... oh no

help me please i'm too far in on day 13 and about to have a snack attack!  I think I'm actually thirsty; is coconut water allowed?  just keep me away from the potato chips!!! chocolate and leftover birthday cake!

meadow lily my almond milk is compliant;  i have the book and have read it  . . . sometime on jan 1 i decided to plunge in!   all this making stuff is a little overwhelming to me, so I'm not making almond milk... also mushy cooked veggies make me gag

now my brain is so foggy I can't figure out how many 700ml water bottles = my usual big 3 liter bottle i use to keep up with my water intake.... since I'm thirsty I know i'm not keeping up today;

I really needed a nap today but baby wouldn't nap I found he had doodled in red permanent marker on the wall... oh no

Tulip, 

I'm on day 13 and I have felt the same way all day. I'm so tired and had such a busy day and was almost tempted to throw in the towel. I haven't felt like snacking lately but today was a different story. Hang in there! We'll be so glad we did!

And my oldest daughter did that with black permanent marker when she was a toddler- I feel for you!!! 

Tiger Blood is when you feel full of energy and unstoppable and on top of the world... it's pretty awesome! can't wait to have it back! 

tulipgirl16.....don't be overwhelmed by all the recipes.   I've never made the mayo.   My Balsamic Reduction recipe is never the same.

I wing it and swing it.   My husband makes the bone broth because he likes to.    I'm no Ina Garten in the kitchen.

I don't make any mushy vege.   I throw everything on a baking sheet and roast it in the oven.  I make every kind of vege combo at one time, throw it into zippies and  take out as needed.   I throw everything in the oven,  kick the door shut and fly me down the highway.   I just came back from the cement pond.  swim2.gif  Coconut Water is really sweet and they don't suggest it for drinking.

Protein and avocado slices would fix you right up.  Squeeze some lemon or lime over it.   You need protein and a fat right this very minute to squelch those cravings.

•  
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

wondering about coconut water. on our 2nd whole30 and just realized perhaps it's not compliant (no additives, just clean coconut water). really only use post long workout to replenish electrolytes and as a teat drink for our kids. does seem high in sugar (10g). 
#2 icon_share.pngRenee Lee

Whole9 Moderator

•  
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 1967 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

It's technically compliant, but it's not really an ideal choice, kinda like lara bars. I think I saw Dallas post something somewhere about his thoughts on coconut water, but can't remember where. Lemme do some googling and I'll come back and edit.  :)

Got it! 
http://whole9life.co...ishment-drinks/ and then check out Melissa's first comment:

1. Melissa @ Whole9 says

August 2, 2010 at 11:54 am

@Nicole: Oh boy… Coconut water has a SLICK marketing campaign these days, huh? We hear this a lot, and while there’s nothing wrong with coconut water, we really don’t see anything super extra right about it either. We’re big fans of plain old WATER, and in trying to mitigate as much added sugar as possible, don’t see the purported up sides of coconut water outweighing the extra liquid sugar in our diets.

Laurie – I hope all was well with your tests. Keep us posted!

Miki – a bummer on the gym lead. Back to the drawing board.  L

My one word is SIMPLIFY.  I try to think, “What do I need more of?” Make a list of a few words, and then try them on one at a time for a few days and see what fits!

Cnyoung – sounds like you are making good choices and planning ahead!

Scotty – welcome aboard! (What is your “box”?)

Tulip – I felt that way around day 10. I think that goes into the category of “sometimes things get worse before they get better.”

Meadow – thanks for your resources and great reminders!

Higs – I love that you raise a lot of your own food. I know I wouldn’t be good at it, but it seems it would make so much sense to eat this way if you didn’t have to keep restocking the veg and eggs!

Volchick – I could use a social media cleanse myself J

Dave – we’re on the road so I’ve been shirking my cleaning responsibilities. I look forward to getting on track when we arrive home tomorrow.

Sissy – we put balsamic reduction on the Brussels sprouts

Very glad to be returning home today and get back to our regular food routine!!

There is an exception...if you're running a marathon or crawling across the Sahara Desert.

man_desert-900x900.jpg

Melissa @Whole9 says

Coconut water is fine for your Whole30, as long as they don’t add extra sugar. (Most do not.) We recommend against using it a your main source of drinking water for everyday use because it is a bit sugary, but because you’re in the desert, sweating your tail off, go ahead and use it to keep you hydrated. I will say, however, that under your conditions, you’re not losing potassium anywhere near as fast as you’re losing sodium – so coconut water may not be the best choice. Plain old water with some salt may be a better choice, so perhaps try rotating that in with your coconut water and see how that works… or drink your slightly salted water and eat a banana for the potassium.

Hope that helps,
Melissa

1-man-in-desert.jpg

Archived