The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, my friends.  Meadow, as usual, you are doing a great job at keeping this thread going. 

Sorry I have not been active but I'm struggling with very bad depression. It has completely sucked the life out of me. Steve has been sick (he is getting better) which adds to the difficulty that I am experiencing.  We did an overnight at the transplant hospital last week for tests and observation.  Fortunately, I  found the inner strength to be there for him.  However, I feel like I am losing myself to depression and it sucks. 

Well, just wanted to say hello.  Hope everyone is happy and healthy.

Laurie, so sorry to hear you're struggling - you have a lot on your plate so it's understanable that you'd feel overwhelmed.... Sometimes all it takes is sharing your woes with someone outside of the situation, especially when you're feeling like you have to be strong for someone else when all you want to do is curl up into a little ball and forget it all.... We're here if you need that outlet.

You try to stay happy & healthy too.

Laurie, I am so sorry to hear this. I wish I could carry the load for you a bit, just to give you a break. Please, take a little time just for you, even if it is just 5/10/15 minutes. I believe Steve would want you to. In fact it just might very well help him to heal. No one wants to feel they are a burden, especially to those we love. It is so very important to take care of our selves in a normal life situation, it is detrimental that we do in your situation. In caring for your self, you are caring for Steve. He will appreciate it and not feel like his illness is destroying your life. So, take a little time for you. Most hospitals have a chapel or meditation room/place where you an go to take 5/10/15. The nurses should know where it is.They also have people you can talk to.Sadly, they don't often think of it for the caretakers as they tend to be focused on the patients. Sending you both love, prayers, good vibes, strength, courage, peace, whatever you need to carry you thru this. As jmcbn said above even sharing helps. I am so glad you checked in with us. We are here for you! I just realized that I may be making assumptions here, so, if it is a moot point, please, ignore... :unsure:

Laurie -  thanks for your update.  Good to hear from you.  We'll give dcducks a poke and a pinch when he's finished with his classes.

Wait for it....wait for it, dcducks has to catch up with us

He wants to go Whole 30 Wild and we'll all give him a run for his money.  Yes, we will.  

Up at 6ish! Ready to continue the home overhauling business going on around here! 95 days and I have some real tiger blood going on here! GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's kick sum booty! Have a good weekend ya'll! C ya later!

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 5997 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted Today, 07:58 AM

You think that your activity level is more important to your weight than it really is. Honestly your activity level is a small factor in body composition. Our meal planning template is designed to add extra meals to your day if you are exercising. If you are not exercising, you still need the three basic meals at the size we recommend. If you eat less than the minimum recommended, you not only suffer hunger, you throw your hormones out of whack and can't lose fat if you have fat to lose. 

Trust us when we recommend eating a palm-size portion of meat at every meal (or as many eggs as you can hold in one hand). Trust us when we recommend adding fat to your meals generously. And don't be afraid of enjoying starchy veggies. Most people feel better if they eat some starchy veggies every day whether they are exercising or not. I don't feel better when I eat starchy veggies, but I sleep better and that makes me feel better. 

I have been following the Whole30-approach to eating for 5 years. It took me 15 months to lose the 30 pounds of extra fat that I was carrying when I started. For the past 3.5 years I have stayed within 5 pounds of the 184 pounds and body fat of 7 percent that marked the end of my losing weight. I have done this while eating generously the whole time. My activity levels are relatively high for an office worker, but I eat extra meals on days that I train and I eat twice the minimum recommended meal size at most meals. Before I started the Whole30, I did CrossFit 3 times per week and ran for 2 hours on the weekend. After two years, I was still 30 pounds overweight. I started the Whole30 without making any changes in my activity levels and I finally began to lose weight. The greatest thing about eating Whole30-style is maintaining a healthy weight without suffering hunger. 

I'm making some homemade roasted garlic and mushroom soup, with coconut milk powder and a tad of arrowroot, black pepper and bone broth.  It's outta this world.

Y'all know I watch seismos...well, I've been monitoring because there's a whole lotta shakin' goin' on everywhere.  There was a 7.8 mag quake at Mt. Everest today at noon.

The quake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.8 struck before noon and was most severely felt in the capital as well as the densely populated Kathmandu Valley.

The quake — with the same magnitude as the one that hit San Francisco in 1906 — was about 16 times more powerful than the 7.0 quake that devastated Haiti in 2010.

topMap.eveday.png

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/25/402138464/strong-earthquake-shakes-kathmandu

I like Wanda Jackson's style.   A hard headed woman.  Oooooo, she was ahead of her time.

Yesterday, I went to the health food store.  It was loaded to the gills with new Paleo snacks and baking mixes.  I always read labels and check everything out.   

Anyhoo, in the cooler were some new compliant fruit and nutty bars.  They were over 300 cal and about 40 grams of sugar each.   Convenient neat lil packages on the shelf.  Great lil after dinner and inbetween meal snacks.  NOT.   There were rows and rows of those seed cookies, lemon, pumpkin, green...you know the ones.  Ooodles and scoodles of dark candy bars and protein bars.  Did I mention an entire aisle of potato chips?  Oh yeah, sweet, purple, taro, white potato chips.  Everyone was loading up on their chips, seed cookies and feeding their Sugar Dragon and Carb Monster.   Their conscience was clear because they didn't know they were being duped.

The Paleo baking mixes with all of the flour substitutes that jack your blood sugar up just like wheat flour.  In the frozen section were the bean and rice box dinners....carbs. 

I go for the MacNut Oil, and some better quality bisquits for Lil Soph.   All I could think about was the amount of SWYPO's  that were on every shelf.  Gluten-free means glutens have been replaced with engineered fruit sugars.   It's not really an upgrade.  It is like the shell game at the carnival.

So I headed for the grocery store and stuck to the outside edges where the whole foods are.  I made it home with produce.  I did give the KerryGold and cream cheese a kiss.   I pulled from the forum the strong posts that keep me going.  I use them for reinforcement when I'm tested with a mountain of Paleo snacks.   Those are a slippery slope right back to Groundhog Day.

There were rows and rows of those seed cookies, lemon, pumpkin, green...you know the ones.  Ooodles and scoodles of dark candy bars and protein bars.  Did I mention an entire aisle of potato chips?  Oh yeah, sweet, purple, taro, white potato chips.  Everyone was loading up on their chips, seed cookies and feeding their Sugar Dragon and Carb Monster.   Their conscience was clear because they didn't know they were being duped.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who think that if they eat this so-called 'healthy food' along with their usual SAD food items that they can un-do all the damage....

Yeah, I'll have an extra large fries, but yeah, erm, could you hold the ketchup & sprinkle them with alfalfa sprouts please?  :D

Agave Nectar is not Whole 30 and these are not allowed on a Whole 30.  

peach-pro.jpg

Organic Peach Vanilla

Ingredients:
Water, Organic Peach Puree, Organic Agave, Organic Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla

orange-pro.jpg
Organic Blood Orange Chili

Ingredients:
Water, Organic Blood Orange Juice, Organic Agave, Organic Habanero Peppers

lemonada-pro.jpg
Organic Peppermint Lemonade

Ingredients:
Water, Organic Lemon Juice, Organic Agave, Organic Peppermint Oil

ginger-pro.jpg
Organic Grapefruit Ginger

Ingredients:
Water, Organic Grapefruit Juice, Organic Agave, Organic Ginger Juice

But they look so purdy..... They *must* be good for you, surely...? I'll bet they melt the nice refined fats & sugars in that bacon-double-cheeseburger, no?  :D

All joking aside, the thng is, people see the word 'organic' and assume it's the next best thing since sliced bread - which was never a good thing in the first place.

Agave nectar (or honey, or maple syrup) is no better than sugar.

Oh funny.   But I must tell you jmcbn, the best bread I have ever had in my life was in Ireland.   Never had any like that in my life ever again.  I don't know if it's still like that but I hope so.   I hope you still have non-gmo flour for your bread.  That bread with your butter....black tea.  Can I just say that I think Heaven looks like Ireland.

Archived