The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

Day 2 down and I've made some not-so-great choices (gotta admit when we mess up, right?) Literally all related to the fact that I had no food in the house until this evening! I finally got a chance to go grocery shopping (hooray for Trader Joe's!) and am now feeling much more stocked up...though a bit overwhelmed by all the food prep and planning I have ahead of me.

Yesterday, all I had was 5 old hard boiled eggs (gross) and a few bites of Brussels sprouts that went wrong. Today I had nothing compliant in the house and didn't get to Trader Joe's 'til the afternoon so I grabbed a Lara Bar as soon as I got to Trader Joe's because I was hangry - obviously, at that point, how could I not be? Totally my own fault. Tonight I just had some compliant TJ's chicken sausage with TJ's guacamole (also compliant, yay!) on top, cooked in coconut oil. I know I haven't had any veggies today but am so exhausted - probably from such low blood sugar and detoxing...that I feel like I can't handle any additional food prep tonight.

Question! Are the peanut butter cookie Lara Bars compliant? I feel like peanuts are a no-no and I didn't even remember that until after I hungrily are my 2nd one...what do I do?!

I know I didn't set myself up for a great start, but I'll be much better from here on out since I actually have food in the house now!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thank you!  I only use coconut water on heavy migraine days; pre-whole30; I have not had one in a while..... I had some low sugar fruit 5 macadamia nuts and a chicken breast before and tried to take a nap; and lots of water...... a bit better now; did lots of cooking today!  I have to find a cooked veggie dish that I can tolerate; do we HAVE to have cooked veggies?  can somebody review with me:  what are starchy veggies? aside from potatoes and sweet potatoes.   I want to get back into working out and need to broaden my veggie horizons.  I love this group;  thanks!

• photo-thumb-6.jpg?_r=1403697759
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4969 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Hmm. The bit about fruit slowing digestion is false, although you can find lots of strong opinions about things like this. 

Raw salad greens are a little more stressful than cooked veggies, but you are reporting trouble after meals 2 and 3, not 1, so that is not a strong candidate for explaining things. Larabars are junk food and the nuts in them can be a little hard on digestion, but again, that does not seem likely to be a good explanation of what you are reporting. 

Robin Strathdee

Whole9 Director of Communications

• photo-thumb-5.jpg?_r=1403795774
  • Administrators
  • w9team.png
  • 2770 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Missouri

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

Larabars ARE a slippery slope food for many people, and if they are for you, you should absolutely avoid them. We only recommend them as emergency food and fuel for endurance athletics, not as a snack. 
  •  

GFChris

Whole9 Moderator Since July 26, 2013

• photo-thumb-28123.jpg?_r=0
  • Moderators
  • w9team.png
  • 4328 posts
  • LocationNew England, USA

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:49 PM

Larabars are specifically called out in It Starts with Food (p. 193) as something to avoid, because it may prop up sugar cravings. They go onto say, "if you are legitimately hungry, reach for protein and fat, as they are both satisfying and calorie-dense enough to see you through to your next meal."

~Chris
  •  

A true emergency for a Larabar:   You're stranded on Donner's Pass in a raging blizzard.   Everyone's looking at you like you're dinner. That would be the time to open up a case of LaraBars and run like heck for your life.    

Thank you for the clarification - I knew they weren't meant to be eaten often, and I totally understand that we shouldn't be eating sugary snack-y foods that prop up our sugar addictions, I just didn't know what else to do in the moment since I needed to get my shopping done and had no other food prepped and ready to eat. I obviously won't be eating them regularly...but in this case, it felt like the best option. Don't plan on getting myself into that situation again!

My question was really - are peanuts totally off limits? Like in a Lara Bar? I'm now afraid I've committed some cardinal Whole 30 sin and wondering if I've kind of ruined myself these first two days! Not going to quit, just curious if I've technically eaten anything off-plan (not taking into account the psychological issues w/ the snacking on a Lara Bar, ya know?)

Brooklyn Babe....unless it is a true emergency and you're stuck in hours of traffic,  I wouldn't eat any Larabars.  You have not broken the rules.

Whole 30,  Forgive me - for I have sinned....Glenn R has a thread like that, soo funny.   You have not broken any rules and you don't need to quit.   Just don't give yourself permission to keep buying them for emergencies.    The Moderators up above have all given great advice about LaraBars.    First thing you know, they start replacing meals and they're really nothing more than a nut/candy bar.

If we don't buy them and bring them into the house, we won't have to worry about giving ourselves permission to eat them while watching American Idol.   

• Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).

Thank you, GFChris... please chime in at any time.    

I have to find a cooked veggie dish that I can tolerate; do we HAVE to have cooked veggies?  can somebody review with me:  what are starchy veggies? aside from potatoes and sweet potatoes.   I want to get back into working out and need to broaden my veggie horizons.  I love this group;  thanks!

No, you don't have to have cooked veggies. Raw veggies are ok too, although some folks have issues digesting them.

Besides all kinds of potatoes, starchy veggies include winter squash, beets, carrots, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips.

Yes, peanuts are totally off limits on a Whole30, since they are a legume and not a nut. No legumes on a Whole30.

Thank you GFChris! So if I've gone off the sacred path here today and had those Larabars with peanuts (dammit) should I just continue on? Seems like the only thing to do, just want to be sure...

• Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
Thank you, GFChris... please chime in at any time.    

Thanks MeadowLily! Not sure how I screwed that one up but won't make that mistake again.

Wow! This group is amazing! I don't know how some of you respond personally to everyone. I love that about this group.

I, like Higs and some others in here, started on the 5th and I seem to be staying true to the timeline. I'm on day 9 and I REALLY WANT SOME KINGCAKE!!! It's everywhere I go....AAAAHHHHH!!! I can't seem to get away from it. I was at the grocery stocking up on supplies and I even WON one! REALLY!!! Does someone out there in the universe want me to be in horrible shape for the rest of my life? I gave it to my daughter to take to school. I followed the advice Meadow gave Tulip and had some protein and fat...fixed me right up. Test passed. Thank God.

As for larabars, I tried them on my first go round and really didn't like them. I personally stay away from them.

Brooklyn, if the only way you like your veggies is raw, then go for it.

I like this whole idea of having a word to focus on for the year. I'll have to think of my word and let y'all know.

Dave, floors were scrubbed yesterday. Does the thing I cleaned for 30 minutes today have to be something of my own or could it be at work? 'Cause we had a code brown at work today that took a while to clean up! Lol :)

so are all potatoes in or just "white potatoes"?  sorry I'm still a newbie; and what are white potatoes? idaho potatoes?  what about blue or red skin or fingerling? or the thin skin ones?  I'd pretty much rather eat dirty socks than cooked veggies and I haven't eaten potatoes in over a year now....

and I'm seriously googling it wth is rutabaga????

if we need  carbs after a workout, can't i just eat more cucumbers?  does it have to be a starch?

Eventually, we arrived at a consensus. Potatoes of all varieties are in, but fries and chips are not. (This should not be a surprise. Fries and chips are about as Whole30 as Paleo Pop-Tarts.) We’ve updated all of our Whole30 program rules on the site, and our official Can I Have…? guide with the new rules, and some guidelines about “fries” and “chips.”

Chips or Fries: Not if they’re commercially prepared or deep-fried

Archived