The "Return of the Dirty Thirty" 12 January start date

dcducks1

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We both like music...ear candy.  Music can snap me out of anything.  I use it.  It's better than a food reward. 

Guess what, Soul Sista....I ain't ever wrapped my lips around a Larabar.  How 'bout that one. Yeah, Grasshopper. :D  :lol:   

Yep, I've always music on in the background - all sorts of genres, and a wide range of decades. As a young kid Father Christmas brought my sister and I a record player one Christmas - I must have been maybe 8yrs old - and he brought an unusual selection of music for two young girls.... The Everly Brothers, The Hollies, Buddy Holly & The Beatles. I think I know every word of every Everly Brothers song and I never tire of listening to that era of music - 'Father Christmas' had good taste in music!  :D 

And that was just the start of it.......................

Ok, it's way past my bed time (as per my whole9 commitment!) so here's a little lilting lullaby to help me drift off to sleep............................ zzzzz

My dad saw them here on their last tour - wish now I'd have been there too  :(

anss_imw.gif

A minor earthquake occurred at 5:56:42 AM (MDT) on Monday, May 4, 2015.
The magnitude 3.7 event occurred 17 km (11 miles) N of Duckwater, NV.
The hypocentral depth is 0 km (0.0 miles).

A minor earthquake occurred at 8:56:15 AM (MDT) on Sunday, May 3, 2015.
The magnitude 3.5 event occurred 13 km (8 miles) SW of Hawthorne, NV.
The hypocentral depth is 5 km ( 3 miles).

When a massive earthquake struck Nepal on April 25, it created seismic waves that traveled around the world in a matter of minutes, propagating swiftly through Earth’s crust and mantle to rattle seismic stations in the US. The Nepal quake was devastating, but the fact that it was felt 8,000 miles away is actually not unusual.

Good morning everyone! I am checking in and am on day TWO of my next Whole 30! I have weaved in and out of the past couple months as my time was very restricted as I finished up a couple of graduate courses. I have one more to do starting in a couple weeks and will end in July with my MBA! Hope everyone is ok. I have heard that I have been missed and that the energy here might have dropped off a bit. Well, the sun is out, winter is over and it is time to move to the next level! I was thinking about starting a new thread for anyone who would like to start a Whole 30 or are already in one. So what does everyone think?

Dave

If you’re one of those folks who has hit the halfway mark and isn’t seeing or feeling the dramatic changes others have reported*, know this: You’re not doing it wrong. If you began the Whole30 with a medical condition, a long and rooted history of unhealthy food habits, or a chronically stressful lifestyle, your “magic” may take longer to appear. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/#sthash.1YjiOoLN.dpuf

When you make that strong declaration and personal commitment not to use the Whole 30 as a Periodic Diet or yo-yo around with it....and you do uproot those unhealthy food habits....Tiger Blood will be yours.  You have to yank out the roots of sugar addiction.   There will be some inevitable rough patches but the entirety of life is just too important to go through the rest of your days fighting sugar withdrawal every other month or so.

This is sooooo true!

Good morning everyone! I am checking in and am on day TWO of my next Whole 30! I have weaved in and out of the past couple months as my time was very restricted as I finished up a couple of graduate courses. I have one more to do starting in a couple weeks and will end in July with my MBA! Hope everyone is ok. I have heard that I have been missed and that the energy here might have dropped off a bit. Well, the sun is out, winter is over and it is time to move to the next level! I was thinking about starting a new thread for anyone who would like to start a Whole 30 or are already in one. So what does everyone think?

Dave

I can shake, rattle and roll with that.    :lol:   I'll just pack up my toasty socks, my cute lil lamp and a couple of throw rugs.   

There......I'm ready.   Fly me down the highway.   Fly me to the moon.  Fling me off the stars.  Catapult me to the Sun.  I want Solar Flaring....

I want everything that I can shake out of a Whole 30.   Won't be nothin' left but the skin on my teeth.  Put the pedal to the metal and let's hit it, DAVE.    WE'RE READY TO GOOOOOOOoooooooooo

Let's hop in the backseat.... Laurie,  Denise, JMCBN  ......hurrrrrrryyyyy

Yep, I've always music on in the background - all sorts of genres, and a wide range of decades. As a young kid Father Christmas brought my sister and I a record player one Christmas - I must have been maybe 8yrs old - and he brought an unusual selection of music for two young girls.... The Everly Brothers, The Hollies, Buddy Holly & The Beatles. I think I know every word of every Everly Brothers song and I never tire of listening to that era of music - 'Father Christmas' had good taste in music!  :D 

And that was just the start of it.......................

I was born and lived the first 3 years of my life in the Everly Brothers home town. Central City KY.  There is a big sign there still today proclaiming it.

Meadow - I an in the backseat with all of you.  Hoping to make this my very best whole 30 ride.  I am doing this whole 30 without fruit/nuts/nutter butter. 

Dave - I started a whole 30 on Sunday so it's day 3 for me.  It may be best to start a fresh thread so that you can spread your love/wisdom to new people.

Hello cottage and jmcbn.  Is anyone else around?

Hi gang!  What timing.  I haven't been on this board for a couple weeks and it seems I stumbled back in right when some of the ol' gang were making appearances.

I'm on Day 2 of a reset, probably not doing a full Whole30 because I've already done 4 of them this year and so my focus really needs to be on long term sustainability, but I'll do a Whole7 or short length and then get back to better reintros.  I manage one food group, then do too many at once.  Haven't quite gotten the slow roll thing down yet, so my goal is to work on long term sustenance.  I would be happy to join you all on a new thread for some inspiration! 

My other inspiration:  this Friday night, Melissa Hartwig is going to be at my store on her book tour!  The timing is bad for me since I have a 10k to run early on Saturday morning, and it's about an hour's drive for me, but I'm going to try to go.  I'll tell her the Dirty 30 gang says hello!

Hugs to all!

Higs - that would be wonderful if you could go and take a photo with Melissa.  Give her all of our best.  I saw your name at the bottom and thought surely that dcducks gave you a ring.  We're on the same wave length.   Copasinki coinkydinks.

I say, kismet!

It's how I felt when I did my first Whole30.  I had started on my own, and on my very first day got stomach cramps and was nauseous all day (I later identified a duck egg sensitivity), so I postponed my start date for a week.  During that time, I checked out the forum and happened upon the June 9 group - which instantly felt like home!  The OG Dirty 30's!  Big thanks to Dave for being such a good rally-er of folks.

Dave

Hello all! I've met Lily over in my group's W30 thread, I'm a first-timer and started April 27. But I'd like to climb onto the luggage rack and make my $45,000 downpayment for this ride! I'm thinking I will probably extend to a W45 & finish up approximately with this round, and then a nice, long, sloooooooooooooow and easy, thoughtful and attentive reintro (thanks meadowlily, the queen of healthy reintro evangelists)

Ride on!

I say, kismet!

It's how I felt when I did my first Whole30.  I had started on my own, and on my very first day got stomach cramps and was nauseous all day (I later identified a duck egg sensitivity), so I postponed my start date for a week.  During that time, I checked out the forum and happened upon the June 9 group - which instantly felt like home!  The OG Dirty 30's!  Big thanks to Dave for being such a good rally-er of folks.

Today is Deb's  Birthday.    Last year, really was a Summer to Remember.  I'd like to have another one of those.  You can't turn back time, but we sure had a blast together.   dcducks is the best drill sergeant I've ever had.

All,

The new thread is called Dirty Thirty "Roundup and Ride"! Go to the Join Whole 30 and look for this thread. I look forward to everyone moving over to the new thread and all of the new cast of characters we will meet on the next adventure.

Higs - make sure you let Melissa know that our groups always get over 20,000 views and over 2000 comments! WE ROCK!

Laurie - pack up, time to move....please come with us!

Meadow - knowing you......you are probably already unpacked and hanging stuff on the walls at the new thread!

Espie - I am offering this 30 day run at only HALF price......so pack your stuff, head to the other thread and bring a friend!

Everyone else, please feel free to join us on the next adventure. We enjoy having all of you with us....

Here we go again!

Dave

I'm in like Flynn! Doing my slow roll reintro now, but may very well need some long stretches of pure D Whole30 days!

Update on my mom, They moved her back to rehab last night and she is doing well. My sister reiterated the need for her to eat protein. She was in a good mood today when we went for a visit. They were taking her for a shower when we got there and got her dressed in non hospital clothes. She told us how she was able hold her magic cup(high protein supplement) with her left hand and held her spoon and ate with her right. Good for her and her morale. When we left she was at "Arby's" (their name for the cafe in rehab) getting ready to eat lunch with other rehab pt.'s. So feeling over the moon right now!

Slow roll intro today with health food store sour dough bread. So far so good. Nothing horrendous, but feeling a bit of bloating and gas in the tum tum. One slice with M1 and 2 slices with M2. Thinking, M3 may be free and clear of any non-compliant sour dough bread.

I was born and lived the first 3 years of my life in the Everly Brothers home town. Central City KY.  There is a big sign there still today proclaiming it.

Denise, that's a fab claim to fame....!

All,

The new thread is called Dirty Thirty "Roundup and Ride"! Go to the Join Whole 30 and look for this thread. I look forward to everyone moving over to the new thread and all of the new cast of characters we will meet on the next adventure.

Higs - make sure you let Melissa know that our groups always get over 20,000 views and over 2000 comments! WE ROCK!

Laurie - pack up, time to move....please come with us!

Meadow - knowing you......you are probably already unpacked and hanging stuff on the walls at the new thread!

Espie - I am offering this 30 day run at only HALF price......so pack your stuff, head to the other thread and bring a friend!

Everyone else, please feel free to join us on the next adventure. We enjoy having all of you with us....

Here we go again!

Dave

On it like a car bonnet...!!  B)  :D

• 7 months later...

Story time, a somewhat truncated version.

Two decades ago as a very young woman I moved to a different province completely alone. I'd never been completely alone before so my judgement, ability to read intentions of others, support system etc was all compromised. Use your imagination and you can predict that I ended up hating myself and being embarrassed of my behaviour, naiveté and all around femaleness.

Fast forward close to 10 years and while surroundings changed, general patterns didn't. But by this point I was numbing myself with food. LOTS of food. And getting extremely fat and unhealthy. One day I decided that in order to become a more valuable human being, I would try something that not many people did successfully, I would become a vegetarian. 3 years passed as a veggie....only I wasn't actually eating many veggies. I was so, so unhealthy, my hair was falling out in clumps, I was sick all the time, had even less energy than I normally did (which was borderline none on a good day), ate hoardes of sugar and chocolate and pasta etc. After about 3 years I figured I probably wasn't doing it right so I decided that I should take it to another level and become completely vegan. It's not even worth mentioning just how poorly that went.

One day I was driving home from work and something in my brain screamed at me "hamburger" so I stopped at the local fast food restaurant and ate a hamburger and it was DELICIOUS. I'd say that hamburger probably saved my life, I couldn't imagine the devastation that I was causing my body getting worse.

That hamburger started another time in my life when I was still treating myself like crap, numbing my feelings, past shames, current problems with vast amounts of dreadful food. Dreadful. Fast food, gallons of ice cream, soda, mounds of cheese on everything, breads, cookies, cakes...whole cakes. And I smoked. About a pack a day of cigarettes.

Somehow in the turmoil and blackness I heard a teeny little noise that I recognized as a window opening up. A window to throw myself into a new life before it slammed shut again and I was left to rot in my own self hatred. So....I lept through that window. To be perfectly honest, the next year and a bit is a blur and I don't remember a lot of the details. I quit smoking, lost nearly 100 pounds, forgave myself for the years of self abuse and forgave myself for the sins of others.

Now I know that a lot of the punishment I inflicted upon myself is the same punishment that many, many women do to themselves. Because we are barraged with ideals and goals in media that are impossible for normal women to reach. Goals for how we should behave, how we should love, how we should look, how we should allow others to treat us. We are told time and again that we are valuable only in the context of what we look like and what we can do to and for others. We have value only when it is assigned to us by others and that is a crying shame. My whole life changed when I decided that I am valuable because I am a human being and because I am valuable I deserve to be treated as such by myself and others.

An enormous part of valuing myself is eating healthy, whole foods in quantities that support my life, vitality, goals and desires. There is no virtue in food, there is only health and nutrition. Our worth is not determined by how little space we take up on the planet and we are not more virtuous because we can exist on a can of tuna and an egg (an actual nutritionists recommendation for protein requirements for a woman my age, ridic!). No one hands out medals for the woman who starves herself to fit in a pair of skinny jeans. No one throws a parade for the woman who punishes herself with food restriction and then secretly binges alone in the dark. Why? Because there are no parades, medals or awards in life. There is only your own health, the care you show yourself, the love you drench yourself in.

That's my story. That's how I will never end up back in my old life again. Meadow, this is probably a hell of a lot more than you asked for.....but what's the point in only telling part of a story? ;)

I've never forgotten this valuable post.  It motivated me until I could stick the landing.  I think about it often and I know it will help someone else who's just thinking about a Whole 30.

I like taking a trip down memory lane because  I don't want to forget where I've come from.  I want to remember the people who've made a real impact in my life.

Lady Shanny is still sticking the landing.  That has always given me hope for the future.  It's doable and possible.

Archived