Hypothyroid and Whole30 - suggestions?

Hi!

I'm starting my second W30 on 1/11/15.

While I enjoyed my first one in May 2014, I didn't really notice any change in my sleep/energy over the 30 days.  I still consider it a success though, as my relationship to food has changed tremendously.  

Anyway, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid when I was 19.  I'm 32 now (and female, if that matters).  My doctor is horrible and doesn't really care about testing my levels.  She just refills my pills and tells me I'm fine.  I'm in the process of finding a better doctor, but am hoping to get to a more balanced state post-whole 30 so that I can have a more informed conversation with the new doc about what works/doesn't work for me.  

Does anyone have any suggestions for foods that I should avoid or foods that I should incorporate? I know it's a tricky question without knowing full medical history, but I'm looking for a good place to start.

My hypothyroid manifests in exhaustion, Raynaud's, dry skin, and mood swings.  I'm not overweight.  In fact, I was underweight when I was diagnosed, which is a whole other story about bad doctors . . .  But the symptoms I listed are the ones that I wish to help eliminate.

Also, if I happen to find a new doc while on the Whole30, do you think that will affect my levels if I get tested during that time?

Thanks for any help with this! 

The blogger Theclothesmakethegirl - talks at length about her thyroid issues.  You might find her story helpful.

The only other suggestion I might have is trying an autoimmune protocol whole 30.  Hypothyroidism is considered a autoimmune disease (body attacks itself) and those with autoimmune issues are known to have issues with certain foods that are generally very healthy foods.  You can find the Autoimmune shopping list here. (The foods in grey should be avoided) http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list-AIP.pdf

No tomatoes????? NOOOOOOO!!!!  :o

But seriously, thanks for the link! I'll have to get my boyfriend on board with the AIP version, but it seems totally doable.  Really it's just the tomatoes and ghee that will make it tough, but I'm really hoping to see more improvements than last time.  My boyfriend and I ate the same meals and he was feeling great while I just wanted to sleep ALL THE TIME.

How much starchy veg do you eat?  You mention that you are tired.  So I wonder about this.  

I have long suspected I have thyroid issues - but tests don't turn up anything so I'm left just suspecting.   <_<

But I seem to require more starchy veggies than most people do - I'm not super active (long walks for the most part) but just to keep my energy up, hormones happy etc. I need to consume starchy veg throughout the day or a absolute minimum of once a day.

My doctor is horrible and doesn't really care about testing my levels.  She just refills my pills and tells me I'm fine.  I'm in the process of finding a better doctor, but am hoping to get to a more balanced state post-whole 30 so that I can have a more informed conversation with the new doc about what works/doesn't work for me.  

Good luck in your search -- having a doctor on your side can make a huge difference!

I usually eat sweet potato, turnip, or parsnips with at least one meal a day.  Usually I eat it for dinner, but lately we've been adding it to our breakfast.  I wonder if that will make a difference.  Maybe I'll try having them with breakfast and dinner to see how I feel.  

I try and stay pretty active, and am usually quite good at doing so, but I've always battled with proper sleep, so it's so hard to tell when my exhaustion is thyroid related or because I'm not taking good care of myself.  But the Raynaud's, skin, and mood issues seem ever-present, so I know something must be up!

• Moderators

Not all hypothyroidism is considered an autoimmune condition. Mine, for example, is the result of head and neck radiation. AIP may not be necessary.

I do find that I do so much better--with both energy and weight loss--when I eat plenty of starchy veggies. And there's some evidence that eating more starchy veg later in the day helps adrenal health which is connected to and affected by thyroid. You may also consider avoiding goitrogenic veggies (largely cruciferous), especially those that are raw and fermented.

I've gone the route of functional medicine doctor in addition to my endocrinologist for treatment. I'm finally starting to feel better and see progress.

Best of luck to you!

The list that is supplied above doesnt tell you that if you have the disease you need to avoid green leafy vegetables raw, brocolli raw, almonds... there is a list of vegetables and foods you should avoid bec it slows down the production of the hormone and also blocks it from being absorbed into your body from your medication. I have ha the disease for many years. You can google foods to avoid for hypothyroid and you can find the list. I walk 2 miles a day, eat like 900-1100 cals a day, gluten free diet, and started taking thyroid 5 supplement and lost 40 pounds in like 4 months. I plateaud so now I am trying the whole 30. Good luck!

I have Hashimoto's and am borderline hypothyroid. (Low, but still normal lab values, but all the classic hypo symptoms.) The more reading I've done on thyroid conditions and women's health and the more I've done my own n=1 experiments, the more I've come to believe that carbs are more important that I originally thought both for women and for thyroid patients and doubly-so for female thyroid patients. I make an effort now to have a good carb (usually sweet potatoes) with both breakfast and lunch to support my thyroid. Other things to think about are brazil nuts for selenium (you only need two per day), vitamin D, and magnesium. Magnesium citrate supplements (assuming that they're compliant for Whole30) give you the best of both worlds in terms of easily absorbed and cost effective.

I've read mixed reviews on the goitrogen issue. Some souces say only eat them cooked and avoid them when raw and fermented, others claim there's no reason to avoid them. I tend to still eat them, but usually have them cooked. I've yet to try making my own ferments so don't know how those would impact me.

I did AIP for 6wks last year, but didn't notice any major differences. It did confirm that I absolutely do not tolerate gluten so I've been 100% gluten free every since. (Which turns about to be a recommendation that a lot of functional/natural med providers recommend for thyroid disorders.) I don't plan to ever re-introduce gluten to my diet.

Thanks for everyone's input on this!

Since I was diagnosed so young, I just assumed I'd have to take a pill for the rest of my life and that would be that.  It's only in recent years when I've actually started caring about my health (farewell, carefree days of smoking, staying out late, and living off of mozzarella sticks!) that I realized my thyroid is something I should actually pay attention to and learn from.  

Step one: new doc

Step two: all this other awesome advice from you guys!

I have Hashimoto's and deal with IBS. I was on the Lyn-Genet Plan for the past year. I had initial weight loss but plateaued and during the Holidays I pretty much went off the rails. Researching diets for thyroid disease, I had always read that Paleo is the best and decided in January to go for it.

I am om Day 6 of the Whole 30 and this morning decided to switch to the Autoimmune Protocol. I have noticed this week that my stomach has been a little upset, with the addition of tomatoes, peppers, and eggs. I had not really had any of these for the last year. I could only eat seeds this past year after sprouting and drying them. I also only eat broccoli, cauliflower, kale, etc. cooked.

This totally seems doable, though I will miss the tomatoes, hot sauces, and spices.

I was so sad to read about the leafy green veggies and broccoli for those with hypothyroidism. I have not been formally diagnosed, just doing some reading based on some symptoms I have been experiencing.  I love spinach and broccoli, and now kale.  I do mostly eat them cooked, but I do have raw spinach in a smoothie about once a week. I would hate to have to give up the cooked versions :(.  Also interesting is how starchy carbs may help, I also read this - which is also a kick in tail for me, since in an effort to lose weight. improve my insulin response, and become fat-adapted, I pretty much have ditched starchy carbs.  So basically, I've been eating plenty of goitrogenic veggies with lean protein and practically zero starchy carbs (except for the holidays or special occasions) for the past 1-2 yrs and steadily gaining weight!  Nice.  So I may have pretty much shot myself in the foot. 

I would hate to have to give up the cooked versions :(

You don't have to give up the cooked versions. Really. The science on goitrogens is pretty clear: you need a lot of raw or fermented goitrogens to have a measurable negative effect on thyroid health. Cooking these foods and eating a variety of foods (not just those but balanced with other types of veggies) is enough.

Now eat some starchy carbs!

• 2 weeks later...

I have both RA and Hashimoto's thyroid disease and have been following Whole30 for three months now with a ton of success. I've eliminated my RA meds completely and am titrating down my thyroid meds.

I haven't started AIP yet b/c it seemed so restrictive, but have been considering taking the plunge. But, I was just tested for IgG reactivity to a whole slew of foods, and had 27 come back with sensitivities. Does anyone know if I need to follow BOTH the AIP version + eliminate all 27 foods, or just take out the 27 foods in addition those on the normal Whole30 plan? I may not have anything left to eat if I have to follow AIP + remove the 27 foods!

Thanks!

I sure don't know anything about the IgG reactivity but am so glad that I went to AIP after the first week.  I'm not sure if it was the eggs or the tomatoes, but I was having a lot of issues.  I feel great now!  It is restrictive but not too hard to get used to.  There are so many delicious recipes out there.

I am also curious about AIP vs IgG reactivity.  Did you have eliza testing done?  I am on day 17 and don't really feel better yet.  Sort of hate to go AIP and cut the foods I'm sensitive to as well but I am having a lot of joint pain.  

Ive been hypothyroid since I was 12, currently 26, and have a connective tissue disorder. Ive been on whole30 for a week now and I feel SOO much better! Im glad though that I found this thread and maybe I can start by limiting the grey items on the autoimmune list.  :( a little disappointing actually

maybe I can start by limiting the grey items on the autoimmune list.  :( a little disappointing actually

not so fast! We really strongly advise starting with a "regular" whole30 for a whole 30 days first. That might be enough, and it's pretty great on its own. Once you are done with that it will be easier to take on more restrictions if you want to try another plan.

also, keep in mind that hypothyroid doesn't automatically mean you have an autoimmune disorder. Hashimoto's (the autoimmune type of hypo) is often misunderstood and mistreated because doctors assume the person has "regular" hypothyroid. You might just have the "regular" kind--probably worth getting your thyroid antibodies checked to be sure before you start taking these steps (apologies if you have them already, just lots of people aren't even aware that is a thing to test). best wishes.

I have not been officially diagnosed with hypothyroid but I do suspect it. My mom has hashimoto's and thyroid issues also run in my dad's family, I have been gluten free for 4 1/2 years and paleo on and off for the past 2 or so years. This is my first official whole30 and though I have seen improvements in mental clarity and mood my energy levels have been a different story. And I felt like I lost some water weight but now my clothes are fitting tighter again. I'm on day 22 so it's a little frusterating. I thought maybe I was eating too many sweet potatoes so I cut them down over the past couple days and felt a lot more energetic but now today I just feel like I could sleep all day. This post makes me think I need to up the starchy veggies again though. I have about 30-40 lbs to lose so it's so easy to focus on that but I'm really trying to focus more on how I feel but that's hard to do when you just feel tired :/

Everybody is so different and there are several ways and different medications used to treat Thyroid issues. Choices....This site http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/has a wealth of info and Drs. Absolutely, get thee Jekchi to another Dr.  You are being treated with a pill, but not correctly if you still have all those hypo symptoms!

Archived