Does everyone experience significant decrease in performance?

Shay_

Today is Day 1 for me and my two children on Whole30.  My 15 year old daughter does gymnastics competitively and is also playing on two soccer leagues.  My son is 11 and does swimming and breakdancing.  After reading many posts on this forum, I am concerned that their performance will be affected by going on this diet.

Are people experiencing lack of energy because they are not supplementing their diet correctly, or does everyone experience this because our bodies need time to adjust to the new diet? 

• Administrators

Hi Shay,

Experiencing a decrease in energy, "lead legs" sort of symptoms are quite common and entirely depend on the individual and what their intake was like prior to Whole30.  Not everyone experiences everything but there are some things that tend towards more common.

Because your children are just that, children, I would think that they could probably take it a bit easy during the next week or two if they are feeling lethargic or overly tired.  Depending on how "SAD" their intake was prior to Whole30, they could go through a rough change from carb burner to fat adapted. For adults, we recommend increasing starchy veggies and the patience to know that it will change in time.

I also think you probably need to be very careful that they are getting at least the recommended template meals (including pre and post exercise) as they are active, growing children. 

Thank you for your response!  I guess I will play it by ear and see how their bodies react.  I'm more concerned with my daughter, who has high school soccer try outs in a few weeks.  I definitely don't want her "lead legs" to affect her performance during try outs, because she really wants to make the team.  =)   Hopefully she doesn't get them! 

• 1 month later...

I am on Day 23...Over time, I have kept a lot of data on my running performance. specifically HR with respect to pace. I just left the gym (BTW I have been feeling great and expected to see some good results). Not so. overall during the workout my heart rate was consistently 3.4% to 4.8% higher than a month ago.  My recovery HR was also from 4.5% to 10% higher than a month ago.  I felt fine during the workout, but I have to admit I'm a little dissapointed that the same level of exertion will yield a 30 second slower mile. I would be curious to see if there are many others suffering a slower mile after Whole 30.

I am on Day 23...Over time, I have kept a lot of data on my running performance. specifically HR with respect to pace. I just left the gym (BTW I have been feeling great and expected to see some good results). Not so. overall during the workout my heart rate was consistently 3.4% to 4.8% higher than a month ago.  My recovery HR was also from 4.5% to 10% higher than a month ago.  I felt fine during the workout, but I have to admit I'm a little dissapointed that the same level of exertion will yield a 30 second slower mile. I would be curious to see if there are many others suffering a slower mile after Whole 30.

I experienced a slower mile during the first couple of weeks of changing my diet but after it was much improved. Is this the first time you have run since starting your Whole30 or is this the trend since starting. Have you been following the template for meals including recommendations for pre and post workout fuel?

Archived