Mental and physical health

crunch

I'm starting whole 30 for the first time next Monday. I turned 40 last summer, and got the past 6 months have had a run of various illnesses including headaches, stomach disturbances, skin irritation, muscle pain and sleep problems. I have also been fighting postnatal depression for 2.5 years, and losing my ability to manage the stress of my job in health care. I have a medical history of inflammatory and autoimmune disorders including Graves' disease, asthma, eczema, IBS and early arthritis.

I decided I needed to take my future health into my own hands. To manage my stress, I have resigned from my job, and made plans to enjoy my time with my family. I'm also going to use the time to invest in my physical health, and this includes healing my body with food rather than medicines.

Hence the whole 30, which appeals to me on many levels. It's simple, clear, not calorie focused. I genuinely feel confident that I can do this.

Thank you for the positive thoughts. I've given myself plenty of plan time, and will be stocking the fridge and freezer in preparation. I have my husband on board too (at least for the first week) so that will make it easier.

I'm starting on Monday as I wanted to give myself enough preparation time. I'm also feeling quite strong mentally now, but finish working in the middle of February, which although my choice, was not a totally positive one, so I think it's best fro e to the the whole 30 before I have to adjust to not working. I'll be busy with my 2 girls tho!

I wish you lots of luck with it RenVer, hopefully we can support each other through the harder parts

Thanks so much Crunch!! I'm not doing so bad either... It's kinda been a struggle for me ever since I was a teenager but I've just been through the toughest part. I went about a 4 year period where it didn't bother me at all and then in the summer of 2011 I got pregnant with our 4th child and I've never really been the same since. I'm a very positive person in general and my faith is helping me alot and I don't doubt one bit I'll get through this. I know my diet isn't helping the situation either. I don't like to eat so I usually skip meals and then get so hungry I make poor choices. I also drink a lot of pepsi. My relationship with food is scaring me more than my depression, Ha! So really this is a win-win situation!! I wish you success as well. I'm not sure if we can add friends on here or not but if so feel free to add me :)

I am starting Monday also, been incorporating whole foods this week and not drinking pop, coffee ect so next week will not be horrible..  hopefully :o.   Best of luck to you both and keep in touch through our whole body awakening!

Hi mgirard, and thanks RenVer. I've doen the same. And been cutting back on wheat, dairy, and portion sizes a little this week. I think the hardest bit for me will be my morning cup of tea, as I'm not keen on tea without milk!! But I figure I can 'survive' for a month for the potential benefits!!

• Administrators

2 days, the headache is here already!!

Hi Crunch,

As you know, the "dreaded headache" is pretty common in the first few days.  Drink a lot of water (1/2 ounce per pound of bodyweight) and increase your starchy veggies to at least a serving a day, more if you need it.  You also want to make sure you are eating enough overall as that can cause a headache by itself so no sense compounding the one you already have!

If you haven't seen the template you can take a look at it here.  

Thank you for that. The headache eased quite quickly which was a relief.

Day 4, so far so good, not feeling hungry between meals very much, not feeling tempted to snack in the evenings, cooking more than ever.

Night shift tonight will be a challenge.

Really pleased, I made it through the night shift with no slips.... I'm normally a carbs fiend on a night shift, but stuck to carrot sticks, a few cashews and a banana. This evening will be atest when I'm tired and hungry.... Need to plan something tasty for a compliant dinner!!,

Wow, I can't believe I am planning for week 2 already. Having to be a bit more imaginative this week as I've been through my standard recipes!!! I have to say I'm enjoying it though, I feel better already, less bloated, more energy, still motivated.... Bring it on week 2!!

• Administrators

Well in to week 2 now. I feel fantastic. More energy, more free, slimmer, and best of all, more motivated than ever. I really can do this!

Excellent to hear!!!!!!!!

I like this one: "more free"   :wub:

• Moderators

Hi Crunch;

I’ve just stumbled upon your post and wanted to tell you that your post hit home with me as I also work in Health Care and just came back off a too short leave in order to help deal with Mental Health issues. I have been Whole30 for a couple years now for the most part and I can tell you that having your body in order does wonders for giving more energy and ability to deal with the mental health stuff. I’m positive that I squeaked through some pretty shady days because I didn’t have my body to worry about. I’m so glad that you found this program to help deal with what’s going on for you and I wish you the very best! I hope the headache at the beginning didn’t get you down! How are you doing?

Thanks so much sugar cube.

I'm doing great, so much better than I expected, I think because I knew I really needed this, and I'm doing it in conjunction with other positive life changes. So much so that I have started cutting down (very slowly, but still) my antidepressants this week, and I feel totally positive that I will be off the, by the summer. After 3 years, that is an awesome feeling.

When I started, I envisaged dragging myself through the 30 days, then being desperate to get back to the foods I missed. Now I think I'll pretty much carry it on, maybe reintroducing a few favorites... But why would I want to go back when this makes me feel so good.

I finish work in 3 weeks, which will be a tough time as I'm walking away from a career I used to love. But I'm ready for it, so hope I will make it a positive change.

Thanks so much for you comments and interest... It really helps x

Well, I didn't think I'd be saying this, but here we go into week 3 already. I honestly expected to have slipped by now, so the fact that I haven't has made me quite evangelical about whole30. I have a few friends who are looking into it, as they can see how great it has been so far for me. Better still, I have so many meals stored in the freezer from the last 2 weeks, that I will hardly need to cook this week, just prepping my veggies. Week 3...... I'm ready!

I learnt a valuable lesson yesterday. I skipped breakfast, just had a banana, as I was in a rush. I then missed my usual lunch, and didn't eat until 3pm, when I had some turkey ragu I had I the fridge. I was so hungry, I didn't take the time to prep some carbs with it. I then had a carb heavy dinner, before a body balance class. I nearly fainted in my class and felt terrible. I was hungry all evening. I learnt that no matter how good I was feeling, a day of 'bad' eating habits really told in its effect on me. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

Today I've had turkey ragu with white potato, sweet potato and turnip, mash. I feel much better.

Today has been my toughest day yet. I've felt light heade and nauseous most of the day, and been craving carbs all day. I mot sure if I'm coming down with a bug, or it's the effects of whole30, but other than a half glass of smoothy, I managed to contain the cravings.....

• Administrators

Today has been my toughest day yet. I've felt light heade and nauseous most of the day, and been craving carbs all day. I mot sure if I'm coming down with a bug, or it's the effects of whole30, but other than a half glass of smoothy, I managed to contain the cravings.....

Are you approaching your period?  Many women report being extra hungry in the week leading up and during their period.  Like...double the amount of food, hungry.  If this is the case I would recommend starchy veggies, STAT.

Check out this current thread about ovulation and hunger.  http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/24853-ovulation-hunger-and-cravings/

Archived