I feel guilty eating sweet potatoes

raely37

I've been on other programs where sweet potatoes were considered a "bad" food and told not to eat them. (These programs really limited carbs to keep you in ketosis)

Today, I made roasted sweet potatoes and they were very yummy, but I am feeling guilt from eating them.

How often do you eat sweet potatoes?  Should I be limiting my portions or how often i eat them?

Thanks

• Administrators

That's where Whole30 is different. Sweet potatoes are a highly nutritious and delicious food and therefore they are perfectly compliant!

A recommendation that we make often here is to have at least one serving of starchy veggies every day...more if you are an athlete/high intensity exerciser, more if you are a woman in the week leading up to her period, more if you have wicked carb flu, more if you tend towards depression, more if your mood is horrid and you feel like tearing yourself or someone else apart. For most people, carbohydrates from starchy veggies is an important part of eating healthfully.

A serving is a fist sized amount.

I think a big part of the W30 process is re-evaluating unhealthy relationships with and emotions about food.  

A flip side of food addiction is excessive food restriction.  We can't fear a nutritious food simply because it's high in (complex, healthy, wonderful!) carbs, and I think part of the W30 process is helping disentangle these fears and guilt from reality.  I would suggest taking a moment to reflect where the feelings of guilt you have associated with sweet potatoes are coming from - where are they rooted?  Ultimately, healthy food means a healthier you, and eating healthy food is an act of love for yourself.  There should be no guilt here!  

Because of the W30, I'm more attuned than ever before to what my body actually needs in terms of nutrients.  Sometimes I'll eat sweet potatoes every day for a week, and sometimes I'll go a month without them.  And sometimes I eat them just because I have a hankering for them.  As long as you're nourishing your body with whole foods and balanced nutrition, I wouldn't sweat your sweet potato intake!  

• 6 months later...

Thank you for posting this!!! It is comforting to know that someone else has fallen helplessly in love with sweet potatoes. Seriously, they taste like candy to me. Baked sweet potato, sweet potato buns, sweet potato chips, diced sweet potatoes, any other way you can think of sweet potatoes! I love them! I want them! I need them! Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little. I don't eat them every day. But I could. And I worry that I will start thinking of them as a candy substitute, which will totally defeat the a Whole30 purpose. I would not be happy if I had to give them up, but I have wondered whether, under the circumstances, I should. Glad to know I can continue enjoying them.

• Administrators

And I worry that I will start thinking of them as a candy substitute, which will totally defeat the a Whole30 purpose. I would not be happy if I had to give them up, but I have wondered whether, under the circumstances, I should. Glad to know I can continue enjoying them.

This is a valid concern and something worth keeping an eye on. If you find youself in an unhealthy relationship with the sweet potato and are using it as a treat, sweets replacement, it's eclipsing all other veggies etc, you should probably consider taking a step back and reevaluating that relationship. Sweet potatoes themselves are nothing to worry about. A poor psychological reaction to them is something to pay attention to.

• Moderators

sweet potato buns, sweet potato chips,

I'm assuming 'sweet potato buns' means you use a baked sweet potato round in place of a bun and not that you're making a baked bun creation using sweet potato.... yes?

Also, please remember that recreating potato chips and french fries is not recommended and certainly commercially prepared chips and fries are off limits.

• 1 month later...

So sorry not to respond earlier!

LadyShanny I appreciate the insight. I am not overdoing on the sweet potatoes. Probably because I know I can't use them to replace sweets. But your comment about poor psychological reactions hit the nail on the head. I have fought that battle all my life and continue to do so.

SugarcubeOD that is what I meant about sweet potato buns. I've stayed away from commercially prepared anything. And I haven't actually tried to make chips yet. Probably a good thing. I have done baked sweet potato "fries." But I also have baked zucchini and carrots and butternut squash. Your concern and note of caution is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Archived