Cant figure out how to schedule pre and post work out snacks/meals

Vian

I started working out again after almost 2 years of not doing any sort of exercise. So far it hasn't been an issue eating like I always have, but today I was SO HUNGRY. I get up at 7, have breakfast around 7:45 (3 eggs, 2 slices bacon chopped up and sauteed with brussels sprouts, about 1/2 cup, and about 1 cup sweet potato hashbrowns, fried in ghee) I start work at 8:30. At about 11, I was already getting hungry. Normally I am fine until lunch. I made it to lunch at 12:30 and had about 1.5 palm-sized portions of dark meat roast chicken, about 1/2 cup roasted kabocha squash, and a half pound of green beans with ghee and garlic, an orange, and a LaCroix lemon soda water. It was a huge amount of food and I was totally full, until 4:00 and I was hungry again. Dinner was a bit hectic and a bit late, around 7pm and was a ribeye steak, salad with kalamata olives and red wine vinaigrette, and sweet potato hashbrowns in ghee, plus another orange. Lastnight I ate like normal and was starving before bed and had to eat something so I could get to sleep. While I did not work out tonight, I did work out yesterday. I'm thinking I'm just burning more calories and my body is hungry. However, I am trying to lose weight, I have about 40 pounds to lose. I either get up in the morning and work out early, in which case breakfast basically is my post workout meal, or I workout in the evening after dinner, (usually 6-7pm) then I work out around 8-9, and go to bed at 10. So...when do I fit in pre and post workout meals? Pre workout meal in the morning is fine, I can have a HB egg or something before I workout as soon as I get up, but I can't eat 2 breakfasts in the span of an hour before I get to work. And then after work, I eat, workout, go to bed in a span of 4 hours?

• Moderators

Sometimes what works for me is to simply eat a bit of chicken breast and sweet potato (something like 2-3 oz chicken and 1/4 c sweet potato) as soon as possible after a workout. For me that tends to be in the morning, and I shower after the post wo food and have a proper template breakfast after that of 2-3 eggs plus greens. Foregoing the pre-wo meal works fine for me. And my sense is that would be even more true for a workout later in the day.

Also, if I eat dense starchy carbs in the morning it sets me up for hunger all day long, a phenomenon that has something to do with hormones. I do best if I increase my starchy carbs over the course of a day, eating the majority of them with meal 3. That might have nothing to do with your particular issue, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

Are you drinking plenty of water between meals? Even more than usual since you've increased your activity?

• Moderators

What you are dealing with is trying to eat around a schedule that is not ideal. Ideally, you would not be exercising after dinner and before bed. If you can't change the workout schedule, the eating schedule must be a compromise. I hope your evening exercise program is gentle because intense work after dinner and before bed can be problematic. 

LadyM offers good advice. Another suggestion I have is to eat a can of tuna at 4 PM when you are still several hours ahead of dinner. This adds nourishment to your day at a time when you are beginning to feel hungry even though it is not timed to support exercise. 

Please don't think you have to spend hours hungry to lose weight. Being hungry for a bit before meals is normal, but being hungry for several hours, even when you need to lose weight, is a sign that you need to adjust your food and/or water intake. 

I'm doing a few things for exercise. I have a video set by Beachbody called Turbofire that is mostly HIIT and cardio with 3 resistance band strength training workouts, plus I have a kettlebell that I swing around and I do bodyweight squats, pushups, lunges, etc. On Sunday I did a 30 minute cardio workout, so I think that's why I was so hungry yesterday. I'd like to workout in the morning, but there's so many mornings I just can't make myself get out of bed until 7, even if I set my alarm for earlier.  It's funny you mention eating a can of tuna, yesterday I was craving kipper snacks. I even have a can of them in my cupboard, I think I'll throw them in my lunch bag, maybe with some guac to have too.

I know I can lose weight while not being hungry for hours, but I still don't want to overdo it. And I definitely could stand to drink more water. The big issue is that my job is pretty fast paced and sometimes I forget to take breaks to go drink water. Maybe I can set an alarm on my phone to remind me. And I can't have water next to me, as I work in a lab.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Archived