What's your favorite cauliflower recipe?

SusanB.

I like cauliflower - but I usually roast it with olive oil and salt. Gets boring.

Anybody want to help me out of this rut? Recipes that don't take a long time to prep are ideal, since my time between coming home from work-eating-bedtime is pretty short.

Last night I made a Whole30 version of Pioneer Woman's cauliflower stir fry. I got a pan super hot with coconut oil and fried my little pieces of cauliflower until they were a good color, added garlic, squeezed in half a lime, and stirred in homemade (compliant) Siracha. It was SO good!

I also love roasting with garlic, too. Changes the flavor a little from just olive oil and salt and pepper. 

You can do cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower. Both are pretty easy and you can prep ahead of time and just warm up when you get home. There are tons of recipes out there for these sides.

Good suggestions, thanks. Haven't done that in a while.

I was hoping someone has a "you have got to try this" something with some interesting flavors? The Nom Nom Paleo spicy cauliflower is excellent, but I'm out of capers and don't have fresh parsley in the house either right now.

Last night I made a Whole30 version of Pioneer Woman's cauliflower stir fry. I got a pan super hot with coconut oil and fried my little pieces of cauliflower until they were a good color, added garlic, squeezed in half a lime, and stirred in homemade (compliant) Siracha. It was SO good!

I also love roasting with garlic, too. Changes the flavor a little from just olive oil and salt and pepper. 

Oh! I haven't looked at Pioneer Woman in a while. That sounds like a spicy fun thing. Thanks!

I just made this last week and it was delightful!  A little too salty though, but that might be because I added some fish sauce since I didn't have clam stock on hand.  Also, you can use just about any protein you want.  With a side salad, this meal is delicious!

http://againstallgrain.com/2012/07/20/mixed-seafood-paella/

EDIT: this does take time though, so maybe a make-ahead meal on the weekend to last you a few days.  It reheats very well.

• Administrators

We LOVE this one from Stupid Easy Paleo:  http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/03/08/indian-pineapple-cauliflower-rice/

We often top it with fresh prawns or chicken thighs that have been precooked and then sliced up and refried in paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  It makes a lot and is delicious refried and topped with eggs for breakfast the next day!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Good side for Mexican-ish dishes - easy if you've done your "prepping" HW :)

Heat some oil in a pan and toss in some frozen onions and let them brown up a bit

Toss in the riced cauliflower (that you keep in the freezer :) )

Add some lime juice

Add some cilantro (purchased fresh, then put in the freezer, mostly for this recipe)

S&P to taste

Cilantro-lime cauliflower rice.  Some house guests have actually preferred this over the rice version!

Woot woot cauliflower is definitely one of my FAVORITE veg! I think that because it has such a easy flavor it can be seasoned with practically anything you desire! My new favorite was is a good old roast with some cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, pepper, coconut oil. I roasted those suckers and then threw it on top of some chili that had been cooking for a couple of hours. DEEEELICIOUS!

This is where my mashed cauliflower experiments have led me.  Credit to NomNomPaleo's root veggie mash as the main inspiration.

big head cauliflower, chopped to pieces smaller than a golf ball

head of garlic, roasted

1/2 medium onion, coarse chop

4 tbsp ghee

1/2 cup favorite broth

1/3 cup water

fresh grated nutmeg (about 1/2 tsp, could be too much for some, but this is key to helping cauliflower taste like potato if that matters to you)

salt and pepper to taste

Sweat the onions translucent in 3 tbsp ghee over medium heat, about 5 minutes

Add the garlic and sizzle for 2 minutes

Add the cauliflower, broth, water, and some salt

Bring to a boil

Cover, reduce to simmer, for 25 minutes

Drain liquid and reserve

Add 1 tbsp ghee

Add grated nutmeg, I use roughly 1/2 tsp

Mash using your favorite kitchen tool, I use an immersion blender.  Since you've got onions and garlic cloves in the pot, you'll need a motor and a blade.

Add salt and pepper to taste

If the mash is dry, add back a little of the reserved pot liquid until you get the goo that's right for you.

If you don't want cauliflower that tastes like potato, kill the nutmeg and go with smoked paprika.

I got this recipe from easy to do paleo, just take out the honey and it is whole 30 compliant. It is so good (my husband says it is now his favorite soup). I usually double to have some for lunch the next day. I also put in extra hot sauce to give it more of a kick. Sooooo good, I think I have made it three times since I discovered it last month.

http://paleoaholic.com/paleo/paleo-buffalo-chicken-soup/

The cauliflower rice pilaf in Well Fed is THE BOMB. It has diced onion, golden raisins, and diced apricots. I could eat it all day, every day.

Another great thing to do is to combine the above with some cooked lamb, then roll it up into stuffed grape leaves. So good.

We like it with curry powder or turmeric and roasted. Also makes an awesome casserole base when tossed in compliant wing sauce and garlic, paprika, salt/pepper, and cayenne if you like a lot of spice. Or for a ranch feel, add parsley, thyme, garlic, and onion to the wing sauce. (The wing sauce/ranch spices combo makes awesome shredded chicken too.)

Archived