Momzilla's Whole30 Log

Momzilla

I think this is better than the memo function on my phone's calendar.  :) 

A little catch-up!  I've been feeling like crap for too long.  My work stress has pretty much disappeared after moving to a different department.  Now it's time to repair the damage.  As an admirer of the HAES approach, my goal is to respect my body and treat it well.  This means that my focus is not on losing weight, but on treating my body with love it deserves instead of hatred or disgust.  I'm not gonna lie, losing some of the 60+ lbs I packed on working for the Mad One would be cool.  But mostly I miss feeling strong and healthy. 

Being under so much stress for so long (as well as the coping mechanisms I employed) has wreaked unholy havoc on me.  My choices have done this.  So now I choose to undo it.  I wish that my husband was on board - he really needs this as much as I do, if not more.  He has metabolic disorder (diabetes, hbp, and gout - all developed by his early 30s), but just has absolutely zero desire to be disciplined.  He hates the idea of no alcohol or bread or junk food or whatever.  He did go Paleo with me about 6 months ago, and finally broke his Diet Coke/Coke habit.  Now he rarely drinks the stuff, but enjoys some carbonated water with lime juice.  It was hard for him to do that - his first week was really rough with headaches and other withdrawal symptoms.  He didn't last long without booze and treats, though.  Pretty soon it was Jimmy John's for lunch and wine at night.  I was weak and fell off the wagon too.  I wish he would do this with me, but at least he is mostly supportive.  We've been eating better, even after letting life get in the way of eating properly - but ugh.  Especially during the holidays!  Double ugh!

So, husband and daughter are not joining me on my Whole30 - but they will be eating compliant meals during family meal time, because that's all I'm cooking.  :P

What am I looking for?:

1) Reversing damage.  I developed IBS, reflux issues, my DLE flared back up, my CTS hurts so much ALL the time, drinking FAR too much alcohol (not like I-need-to-go-to-meetings level, but still more than anyone should consume), mental fog and distractibility, thyroid weirdness, generally ucky feeling and sluggishness all over.

2) Breaking bad habits. No wine at all for at least 30 days.  Zero. Zip. Zilch. Nada.  It's not necessary for life - even when my 18yo son drives me nuts.  No eating at the food court downstairs.  (That alone should save me $$$$$$!) 

3) Regain Awesomeness.  What does that mean?!?!  I miss the body I had that felt Powerful and sexy and capable of damn near anything.  I don't have any illusions about *looking* like that again, but I sure as hell can *feel* like that again!  AND I WILL!

Prepping for my Whole30:

I made up my shopping list on Saturday and hit up the grocery store.  I spent a large portion of Sunday doing food prep.  I've got to be a little more efficient, it just takes practice.  It makes me happy to look in my refrigerator. I whipped up a batch of 2 eggs scrambled with 2 cups of spinach to take to work in the morning.  Num, still one of my favorite breakfasts. 

Day One:

My schedule is all whacked out from being off of work.  I synced up with the fam's schedule, so I stayed up until after midnight.  Not cool when you have a 4:45am wakeup.  Made coffee and filled up my go-cup with black coffee.  Not as delicious as it is with a nice dollop of cream, but still lovely.  Had a big glass of water before I filled up my water bottle (I like to track how much H2O I take in).  Packed up my lunch bag and headed out the door.

Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled with 2 cups of spinach in a little ghee. Serving of Melissa J's Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup.  Slurp. 

felt hungry before lunch.  Drank more water and ignored it.

Lunch - Tuna salad prepared the day before with red bell pepper strips and cucumber coins.  Green salad with Tessemae's dressing. 

Hungry again around 3:15pm.  Facing a long trek home in traffic at 4 and knowing myself, I had a snack of olives and sardines so that I didn't arrive home hangry and wanting a glass of wine.

Dinner - Hubs wasn't able to get home as early as he wanted to, so no beef stew with orange gremolata (takes two hours to get it on the table).  No problem!  I whipped up Pad Thai from Well Fed since I had all of the ingredients pre-prepared.  It was amazing.  Hubby loved it and declared spaghetti squash a great noodle replacement.  Little Boots liked it too, but she had noshed on hard boiled eggs and tuna salad earlier and wasn't super-hungry.  The only downside to dinner was that hubs came home with vino and poured himself a nice glass in front of me.  Then he asked me if I wanted some - at least he felt kind of bad after I reminded him that I had started my Whole30.  Not bad enough to put it away, though.  :(   I wanted some, but didn't want to get resentful and cranky.  My solution was to eat a little more Pad Thai and leave the table.  Worked like a charm! 

Evening - Had to kick the 18yo off the PS4 as he was screaming profanities at it upstairs.  Then he flipped out because his phone wasn't charging.  So much anger!  Over nothing!  Ah, the passion of being 18.  Every emotion and event is amplified to 200%.  It's exhausting to watch, and frankly I am tired of trying to get him to at least self-reflect on his inappropriate anger responses.  I can't handle that much negative energy.  Went to bed too late. 

Oh!  I discovered the Daily Whole30 and signed up.  It will be a day behind me, but that's totally cool.  I also weighed and measured myself, took some body selfies.  I don't see a place to put those for my consumption alone, so I guess it will reside on my phone.  LOL

All in all, a very successful Day 1!! 

Day 2 so far:

Life is good!  I went to bed a little later than I wanted to last night, but still got around 6 hours of sleep.  I slept well, in fact I smacked the alarm clock and overslept by about 20 minutes. 

I will be travelling for work next week.  My coworker looked at me in horror when I said that there was no way I could stop by the bar in our hotel that has the largest selection of Scotch in Dallas (maybe Texas!).  Not doing it.  There's always next trip.  :)

Breakfast was a little bit of leftover Pad Thai from dinner (there was too much for one meal, not enough for two) with a hard boiled egg and red pepper strips.  Yummy!

I got hungry around 10:30, but a nice steamy cup of green tea fixed that right up!

Lunch time!  Yay!!  Pad Thai and green salad.  I really love crunchy green stuff.  :)

End of day two:  NAILED IT!!  

Dinner was Melissa Joulwan's Perfectly Cooked Steak with that delicious crunchy goodness topping, green beans and salad.  BTW, that steak topping is THE BOMB sprinkled on a salad drizzled with a little EVOO and balsamic vinegar.  I don't know if the actual cooking method is better than hubby's mad grill skills, but it was tasty!

Feeling tired and a little achy, but at least I made it to the chiropractor today - even if I had to wait over an hour to get in.  He was a VERY popular guy today.  :)  Hubby is having adult beverages in front of me again - but I'm cool.  I'm drinking my sparkly water (woohoo SodaStream and our RO water dispenser!) with lime juice and a cucumber slice in a big old martini glass.  :D  No food cravings today at all, in fact I seem to be feeling full faster.  A nice change of pace from the weird ravenous hunger I would get where I just couldn't seem to get satisfied.

All right, Day 3.  I'm looking at you!  Gonna kill it tomorrow! 

Love the "regain awesomeness"  (but I"m thinking you probably never lost it...it's always within you, whether you choose to show it off or not!)  Great job.

HA!  You're right zBeverly!  The Awesome has been merely suppressed!  :D

Momzilla... My taste buds went thru a major reset on my whole60... Wine tastes like vinegar!...

All wine?  :o  I just had a funny little scenario play out in my head -

Day 40, Momzilla decides that it is time to have a small glass of her very favoritest Sauvignon Blanc.  She carefully carries her glass to the couch and settles in, ready to enjoy it while watching The Blacklist on her DVR.  She lifts the glass to her lips, takes a sip, and OHDEARMOTHEROFGRAPESWHATTHEHELL?!?!?! It is likely the most disgusting thing she has put in her mouth in ages. 

-end scene

I think it may have been funnier in my head, though.  LOL!  :D

Hello, Day 3. 

Still didn't make it to bed before 10pm.  *sigh*  Tonight I am going to bed right after we put Little Boots to bed.  I kind of don't care that much if Hubs feels ignored.  He doesn't seem to care how I feel - if I'm exhausted, if I'm not getting enough sleep, if it's hard for me while he sucks down wine or Moscow Mules in front of me.  Maybe I'm feeling a little cranky?  Probably best to vent a bit on here, rather than hurt his feelers.

I'm sweating, which is weird, because I'm also cold.  I started sweating (weird, my job is SO sedentary) yesterday, and my normal Tom's deodorant failed to keep the pitstench at bay.  Needless to say, I kept my arms VERY close to my body during my adjustment at the chiro.  This morning, I busted out the Degree post-shower.  I've got meetings and don't want to smell like I forgot to bathe.  :)

Anyhoodles....further observations.

I had a hard time finishing my breakfast, and I'm not sure I'm getting the meal template down right.  I don't know that I am eating as much fat as I'm supposed to.

Breakfast was a couple of big fistfuls of spinach sautéed in coconut oil, then threw in about 1/4 cup of ground beef I cooked up on Sunday.  Then I scrambled two eggs with s&p into that.  Also had a cup of homemade tomato basil soup that I made with my homemade chicken bone broth.  No hidden sugars in that!  But, like I said, I struggled to finish it.  I would have just tossed the remains, but I didn't want to be starving at 10 like the last couple of days.

I had a headache last night, but I'm not certain that had anything to do with what I did or did not eat.  My neck needed a lot of adjustment, and that can cause a mild headache. 

I had to take Nasacort last night, my sinuses were all swollen up - also could have contributed to mild headache. 

I'm looking forward to my lunch of leftover steaky steak (4oz portion), green beans and salad.  With that lovely pistachio-garlic-chives-fig tastiness sprinkled all over everything, of course. 

Day 3 finished off with a major family crisis.  I managed to stay compliant, gobbling down sliced veggies, an apple, half a chicken thigh in the car on my way to the ER.  Day 4, not so much on the staying compliant.  Epic failure.  Honestly, I can't be too angry at myself.  Such a terrible, terrible day. I didn't eat at all until 2:30pm, and only because my husband was harping at me that I HAD TO EAT SOMETHING.  Well, that something ended up being Whataburger since we weren't at home.  I felt sick after I ate the sandwich.  I finished off the day by eating pizza and drinking wine on the couch. 

I woke up this morning feeling like a box of smashed a$$.  I knew I had been feeling better, but just how much better became evident this morning in the contrast.  My hands are swollen up again and hurt.  My head hurts.  I'm having trouble focusing (well, that's probably a combination of the situation and the garbage I ingested yesterday).  I'm so backlogged here at work because this is a busy time of the year, and I was out yesterday. 

However, I woke up and drank 16oz of water, made some black coffee, and threw my fully compliant breakfast and lunch together and put them in my lunch sack.  When you fall down, you just get right back up and keep moving.  No use dwelling.  If anything, this has made my determination to finish out even stronger.  Today is day 1 again, and that's fine.

Ugh!  This headache!  Other than the headache (geez, I only had 2 glasses of wine - what's with the headache?), things are going well on the food front today.  Spinach and ground beef cooked with a little ghee and a cup of tomato basil soup for brekky, and leftover steak with sweet potatoes and salad for lunch.  I noticed at breakfast that I was full well before I finished my beef dish, so I just tossed the rest (I'd already eaten all of the spinach out of it, and probably a good 3 oz of the meat).  It's nice to know when it's time to stop eating.  :) 

I got restless and decided to do some desk dips.  That was fun - I think I'll incorporate more exercises like that into my day...closing my office door first, of course.  Hahaha  Don't want my co-workers to think I'm crazier than they already do!  :)  Not planning on busting out 20 Burpees or anything (that would spazz out my curls and make me sweaty in my work clothes - ewwww), but I think throwing some weight-bearing exercise and isometrics (planks, boat pose, etc) in addition to the walks I take is a good idea.

Alrighty, a little catch-up.

Friday finished out strong.  Hubby made dinner (Melissa Joulwan's Cinnamon Beef Stew), but it wasn't ready in time for us to eat before Little Boots' Girl Scout meeting.  So, I grabbed a snack of sliced vegetables and chicken to tide me over until we got home.  Ate the stew over the last of the spaghetti squash in the fridge.  It was good!  I was kind of sad that he opted not to make the orange gremolata, I was kind of looking forward to it.  Super yum anyway.  :)  

I rediscovered my love of water with cucumber slices in it - just wish I had some fresh mint leaves!  That is good, because I think half the reason I had wine in the evening was being bored of plain water, and wanting something that had a flavor to it.  I drink a lot of water, even before the Whole 30.  After drinking 96oz or so during the day, I really just want something that has a flavor.

Saturday was also a good day.  I had 2 fried eggs with spinach sauteed in ghee and a bit of sweet potato topped with ghee, salt and pepper.  Nomz.  We ate breakfast really late (it was more like brunch), so I didn't actually manage to get 3 meals in yesterday.  In fact, I didn't really eat dinner, either.  I just nibbled my way through my cookup (by the way, garlic roasted broccoli is DELISH).  So everything was compliant, but I didn't sit down and eat it on a plate.  I accidentally ate half of the broccoli I roasted, a couple of slices of bacon, a few bits of breakfast sausage, a taste or two of Lizard Sauce, a few veg slices.  We did the shopping and I did my cook-up a day early, as we are heading to the MFAH today to see the Monet and the Seine exhibit.

Breakfast today will be black coffee and I think I'm going to make a hash with sausage or bacon, spinach, and kale that can be topped with fried eggs (LB doesn't like eggs).  I'll have to take a sack lunch with me to the museum - pretty sure there isn't anything to eat around there that is Whole 30 compliant.  Setting myself up for success!

That's all for now.  See ya later! 

Yesterday was a great day.  All meals compliant, went to bed at 9:30.  Drank lots of water.  Kind of tired, didn't get my daughter's birthday party evites out.  I'll do it tonight.  Off to continue taking care of family issue.

Archived