Is it weird that I'm NOT having any negative side effects?

I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm on day 6 and am actually feeling great. I was a total carb- and sugarholic before, and I didn't really watch what I ate at all during the month of December. Should I expect that the big detox crash I hear everyone talk about is coming? Or should I just be happy that I'm apparently one of those people who doesn't have that side effect? I just feel like everyone I've heard talk about Whole 30 had an issue with this, so I sort of want to be prepared if it's going to hit me really hard around day 10 (or whenever). I also want to be sure that I'm doing this the right way.

Here's a sampling of what I'm eating (yesterday and today):

Tuesday meal 1:

Sweet potatoes and onion hash, cooked in ghee and seasoned with salt and pepper, with Aidell's chicken and apple sausage and wilted mustard greens; black coffee

Tuesday meal 2:

Large salad with a variety of veggies and half an avocado and brined chicken breast from the slow cooker (dressed lightly with EVOO); mandarin orange; coconut cream pie Larabar

Tuesday snack (I was starving by the time we got home after work, and dinner was a good hour away):

Banana

Tuesday meal 3:

Tuna steak, roasted squash and onions, steamed green beans

Wednesday meal 1:

Two scrambled eggs, half a mandarin orange, half a cup of grapes; coffee with ghee, coconut milk and a little bit of cinnamon and unsweetened cocoa

Wednesday meal 2:

Small (maybe 4-6 oz.) chicken breast, green beans with raw cashews, roasted mixed veggies (squash, onions, brussels sprouts, eggplant), mandarin orange, coconut cream pie Larabar

Also drinking lots of water. ETA: Everything mentioned above is either steamed or cooked in ghee, EVOO or coconut oil. Any feedback is appreciated!

First off, not everyone experiences carb-flu, so be happy you didn't. :)  It may never happen for you, but take things one day at a time.

In terms of feedback, overall things look ok.

A few suggested tweaks:

- Lara Bars are emergency food only. We advise against having them as part of a meal.
- The recommended snack is a mini meal of protein, veg and fat. Save fruit to have with or immediately after your main meals only.
- get veggies in at every meal - ideally 1-3 cups worth. Don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate.

First off, not everyone experiences carb-flu, so be happy you didn't. :)  It may never happen for you, but take things one day at a time.

In terms of feedback, overall things look ok.

A few suggested tweaks:

- Lara Bars are emergency food only. We advise against having them as part of a meal.

- The recommended snack is a mini meal of protein, veg and fat. Save fruit to have with or immediately after your main meals only.

- get veggies in at every meal - ideally 1-3 cups worth. Don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I will definitely keep that in mind about the Larabars and the fruit; do you have any recommendations for grab-and-go proteins for situations like that? I would have loved to be able to wait to eat, but I was extremely hungry and found myself eyeballing my kid's cereal box on the counter with some major envy. This morning's meal was much more rushed than usual due to oversleeping (not related to Whole30 ... I've got a 4-month-old who is not sleeping through the night yet, so I was up a few times with him), but I'll try to make sure to saute some greens in with my eggs next time!

Thank you so much for the feedback! I will definitely keep that in mind about the Larabars and the fruit; do you have any recommendations for grab-and-go proteins for situations like that? I would have loved to be able to wait to eat, but I was extremely hungry and found myself eyeballing my kid's cereal box on the counter with some major envy. This morning's meal was much more rushed than usual due to oversleeping (not related to Whole30 ... I've got a 4-month-old who is not sleeping through the night yet, so I was up a few times with him), but I'll try to make sure to saute some greens in with my eggs next time!

Instead of a grab and go snack, I'd first suggest looking at your earlier meals and playing around with the portion sizes. You want to get to a place where your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.  Salad greens can initially fill you up, but tend to not satiate for long, so consider adding more protein, veggies or fat to that meal, for example.

If you have a longer stretch between meals on some days and you need a mini meal in between, a quick protein and fat is a hard boiled egg. Or pack some protein-veg-fat combination in a cooler to have with you. Note that nuts are a fat source on a Whole30. 

• 3 years later...

Hello!  I also have had issues with a grab and go snack due to limited options in my town.  I have to make sure to set time aside on weekends to really think about what I've liked eating so far, what's worked, and what I feel needs "boosting".  However, I feel I have an edge becuase not only do I not have children to factor in, but as a teacher, I have the luxury of a weekend to plan/prep.  That being said, I really do hope the suggestions below help you!

1. Almond butter:  I can't get the Labrabars, so a spoonful or two of this is my emergency snack.  I tend to start fading fast an hour or two before lunch (always have) and need a quick perk of protein.  Again, a spoonful (or two if really starving) helps stave off my inner hungry monster until I can get something truly satsifuying.  It's also great to dip a variet of veg and fruit in it which I cut up or prep and grab a sandwhich bagfull before work.

2. Crumbled sausage:  I make a big batch of my own seasoned crumbled sausage at some point in the week.  This is so great because I can grab a handful and through into a bowl with just a smashed avacado or even mix in with literally any other prepped veg I might have on hand.

3. Date rolls:  This is also more of an emergency snack/craving fix that I'm careful to not abuse.  My local store carries date rolls that are just dates, coconut, and almonds.  I find that if I'm having a really hard time (hungry, stressed, craving all the things) and eat one of these, I'm set.  In fact, I sometimes find myself not really needing to finish one because it's just so sweet. 

4. Frittata:  I don't have time to really make a balanced meal in the morning, so I've found frittata's to be a lifesaver.  I can easily throw in tons of veg and protein, cook in the afternoon/evening, and I have plenty for the entire week.

Hope some of this helps.  I've had to learn to get creative with assembling meals because I'm not a fan of salads (cold food in general). 

Archived