Hello!

I'm very excited because with the New Yr I vowed to stop "dieting", to ditch calorie counting, and to focus on HEALTH. 

So I began my first Whole 30! 

The first few days I followed the template, but on the lighter size... realizing @ times, I do need more food! I have been trying to focus on getting in line with the '3 meals", which as a grazer I'm not use to. I've been more generous with fat and protein, but it's been difficult to be perfect while traveling. 

I'm just going to admit right now.. when I didn't have fruit in my diet, my body seemed to respond better. I felt lighter and didn't crave as much. I think the meal template works well for those trying to shed lbers., but I'm also trusting and honoring my hunger signals. 

One thing that I keep referring back to the IT STARTS WITH FOOD book about is fruit. It says that we can have occasionally, that it is optional, but I want a straightforward answer on should I eat it or not? The book also says that there is no nutritional need for fruit (nothing we can't get from veggies).

I have definitely realized that no matter how tasty my meals, my brain and body are always wondering, "where's the sugar!?" Sometimes I feel I need a littler starch and add in some carrots or sweet potato as my vegetable. But the chapter on portion, that suggests a handful of fruit, confuses me. Where does that fit in? Should I be purposefully adding fruit or is it unnecessary?

Thank you!

Fruit is optional and we suggest limiting it to 1-2 fist sized portions as part of a meal. This is just a recommendation of course. We also recommend that fruit not push veggies off your plate. So construct your meals with plenty of vegetables and then have a piece of fruit if you are still hungry or add fruit as an ingredient component along with plenty of vegetables.

A lot of this comes down to personal context. If you are struggling with sugar cravings then fruit might hurt more than help. Personally I don't have fruit every day but I add it in when I feel like it and have had an otherwise well structured meal. The honest truth is I don't crave it that much anymore. This is really an n=1 experiment thing. You need to figure out what works best for you.

• Administrators

+1 to what Beth just said.  I choose not to eat fruit as it keeps me seeking that sugary fix.  I've also found over the years of having basically eliminated it that when I do have it I don't feel as well. 

Archived