Cashew Milk?

shf133

My boyfriend actually found this, there's a lot of added vitamins and stabilizers(?). I found another post about coconut milk from the same brand, (but also read the replies about how even within the same brand, ingredients change and what not) so I wanted to make sure this was approved too (if it's not, I may cry, because its really yummy)... as listed on the side of the carton- cashew milk (water, cashews); non-gmo canola oil; calcium phosphate; magnesium phosphate; locust bean gum; gellan gum; guar gum; vitamin A acetate; sea salt; vitamin D-2; L-selenomethionine (selenium); zinc oxide; folic acid; vitamin B-12.

the allergy information gives their whole shpeel about how they strictly test all their products for allergens and blahblahblah. the only allergen listed (of the main 8) is cashews

my only REAL concern was the 'locust bean gum'... I've never heard of a locust bean, or locust bean gum, so I'm not sure what it is, or how/what it's used for. I haven't googled it yet, just wanted to throw the question out there

This is a NO because of the canola oil. Canola oil is ok if you eat at a restaurant because it is impossible to avoid but you can't have it in your home on the whole30. Locust bean gum is ok but it can cause gut issues. Here is the official word on Canola Oil from the Can I Have post. 

Canola Oil: Yes, reluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Tip: Eliminate the consumption of vegetable oils at home, even if you’re not on the Whole30, and make sure the rest of your diet is focused on the most nutritious choices possible, especially if you dine out frequently.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.9tkXy5Uc.dpuf

Bummer! Oh well, I still have the coconut milk, and my boyfriend likes it, so it's not a total loss...guess it'll just be something to consider adding back in afterwards And I'll have to pay even MORE attention to labels

Silk brand Unsweetened Cashew Milk does NOT have canola oil!  I just found it at the store this week.  It tastes great but I'm not sure of its effect on me.  I experienced slight stomach upset yesterday and am wondering if it is the milk although I drank less than two cups in the last two days.  I'm reading today about 'gum' additives causing gut issues so I will be experimenting with the cashew milk to see if I am sensitive to the gum additives or not.  The best part of whole30 is being able to isolate and identify foods which make us feel poorly.   

INGREDIENTS: Cashewmilk (Filtered Water, Cashews), Sea Salt, Locust Bean Gum, Almond Butter, Sunflower Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Gellan Gum, Ascorbic Acid, 

VITAMINS & MINERALS: Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E Acetate, Zinc Gluconate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Riboflavin (B2), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D2.

• Administrators

Hi GimmeFlowers,

We don't recommend drinking nut milks as a beverage on the Whole30, better you get your nutrition from whole foods.  As far as the stomach upset goes, nuts and their products can cause stomach upset in folks; could be that it's the milk itself that is bothering your stomach.

From the "Can I Have Guide": http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Tip: Nuts and seeds aren't your best fat choice, in general, and drinking your food is always less healthy than eating it.  So when it comes to almond milk, even if you make your own...we'd rather you just eat the almonds once in a while!

Archived