Trying to understand "3 meals" vs pre and post WO

itskristie

If I'm supposed to eat three meals a day.  I understand post workout is a bonus meal.  

But if I crossfit at 8am and I eat the meal prior to crossfit, is this technically my first meal?  Then my bonus meal after, then two more meals to finish the day?

It seems like the pre and post combine to make one meal, technically.  Does this sound right?  Thanks!

I generally don't do a pre-workout meal. I try to eat a regular meal 1-2 hours before my workout. And then I do a post workout meal of lean protein and starchy vegetable after. The pre and post workout meals don't need to be big and whether you need them depends on your context. Based on what you said if you are eating your meal 1 within and hour of waking and have enough time to digest it before crossfit at 8am then just add your post workout meal and enjoy your other 2 meals as appropriate.

The pre and post workout meals are where you have a bit of flexibility to play around and figure out what works for you. What works for me at the moment is to have either a pre or a post workout meal, depending on which end of the workout is further away from a meal time  :)  Hope that makes sense

On the same subject, I do crossfit at 6am.  I get up around 5:25am, get dressed and eat 1 hard boiled egg for my pre-wo meal.  the class is over around 7am and I drive to work and shower there - so I don't eat again until about 8:30am and I have my M1 of 2 eggs and 3 strips of bacon.  Is this OK?  Should I be eating a post-wo meal in addition to M1?  I don't want to really eat anything while driving into work - unless I find a protein/carb that's convenient to eat that way.

On the same subject, I do crossfit at 6am.  I get up around 5:25am, get dressed and eat 1 hard boiled egg for my pre-wo meal.  the class is over around 7am and I drive to work and shower there - so I don't eat again until about 8:30am and I have my M1 of 2 eggs and 3 strips of bacon.  Is this OK?  Should I be eating a post-wo meal in addition to M1?  I don't want to really eat anything while driving into work - unless I find a protein/carb that's convenient to eat that way.

You might recover better if you do use a proper post workout meal. Some chicken cubes and diced sweet potato could be easy to eat as you are packing up and getting to the car. If you decide to just go straight to meal 1 I would advice adding veggies to it. Specifically some starchy veggies. 

Hi Physibeth, 

I wanted to go read your logs, but the links don't work.  Are they still out there somewhere?  Thanks!

-Kristie

Interesting, they are working for me. I'll try them here again.

These are for my Whole30's : http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11089-physibeths-first-whole30-log-finally/ and http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/19031-physibeths-2nd-whole-30-may-12th-june-10th/ 

This one is my post Whole30 log: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/11768-physibeths-post-w30-log/

Can you suggest a Pre-WO meal for early morning that isnt egg? Are there any protein powders that are Whole30 compliant and is it a big no-no to exercise on an empty stomach?

No protein powders. If you do well exercising on an empty stomach, that's ok in most instances. The exception to this would be people who work out first thing in the morning. For those people it really is optimal to try to take in a little something (protein and fat) within 1/2 hour of waking before the workout.

Personally I do the egg, but I have experimented with a spoonful of nut butter or coconut butter, and that seemed to work fine too. Some people will eat a small portion of leftover meat with or without a little guacamole or mayo (add the dip if the meat is lean, like chicken breast).

Archived