I eat a lot of cashews

Mathbooks, it does sound like the nuts are shoving other foods off of your plate.   A dozen handfuls or did you mean a dozen cashews inbetween meals?   A dozen handfuls is something altogether different.    Your three meals probably aren't large enough.   

• Moderators

If you're truly hungry between meals, then you're probably not eating enough at meals. 

Have you checked out the Meal Template? Try to follow it for all three meals each day, and if you need a snack between meals -- you're truly hungry enough that you would eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli -- have a mini-meal of protein, fat, and vegetables. Keep in mind that the template lists a range, for instance, 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein. You may need two. 

If you're eating cashews because you're bored or just used to having snacks, not because you're actually hungry, then you need to find a way to take the focus off of food -- go for a walk or read a book or draw a picture or clean the kitchen, something that will keep your hands and mind busy.

(Also, I'm moving this to the Troubleshooting section, it seems to fit better there.)

For you, cashews would be considered "food without brakes" and you should probably avoid them altogether.

Definitely.  Trust me.  I have been there, done that.  It is not a pretty place to be.  Please, carefully put down the cashews, and turn and run away.

For real.

I also eat a lot of nuts, particularly cashews, because I get hungry between meals. Just yesterday I started eating more protein (meat) during meals and have been forcing a bottle to two bottles of water in my body before/during/after meals as well. I don't know if "over eating" my normal portions of meat is "good" either, but it truly does seem to keep me fuller longer.

Also, I've been cooking sweet potatoes, cutting them into thick slices (about 4 slices per sweet potato) and wrapping each in foil (individually). Then I take those to work with me and have 1-2 for snacks during the day (just a quick zap in the microwave will do the trick - but be sure to remove the foil, of course!)

Hope you find some other crutch foods to fill the void - you can do this!

• Administrators

Hey Abrada, there is really no need to be hungry on Whole30. It's possible that your appetite hasn't caught up to your body's need for larger meals.  That's alright, just keep trying.  You're aiming for 4-5 hours between each meal.  Check out the template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

The sweet potatoes are good because we recommend a serving of starchy veggies at least once a day....but try to pair them with protein and fat. Just having the sweet potato is going to spike your blood sugar and keep that "hungry every 2 hours" hormone response alive. 

As for snacking, once your meals are dialled in, a good litmus test is whether or not you're hungry enough to eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli.  If so, hit up a mini meal of protein, fat and veggies (or at least just protein and fat).  And if you aren't hungry enough for the fish/veggies, you probably just need to find something else to do rather than "find some other crutch foods".  That's what you're trying to train your body and mind away from.  ;)

Nuts can be pretty hard on your stomach and their nutritional profile adds up pretty fast because they are hard to put down. 

Archived