Caramel Color???

nikki5577

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

It's possible that when Renee posted in 2013, she made an error. It happens.

A quick google search agrees with Tom's note that the coloring is made from sugar, therefore not compliant: Caramel is produced from commercially available nutritive sweeteners consisting of fructosedextrose (glucose), invert sugarsucrosemalt syrupmolasses, starch hydrolysates and fractions thereof. 

• Moderators

Sorry for the confusion. The answer is no, that is a sneaky sweetener.

Caramel coloring is sugar. It is unclear what organic natural flavor is, but I would not worry about that. 

Finding compliant broth is very difficult. The Imagine brand has had several varieties, but most of their broths include sugar, so you have to check the labels on any package you buy.

Sugar is added to foods to improve the taste of cheap quality ingredients. I used to work in the grocery business, so I occasionally examine most products in a section of a store. What I have noticed is that you often have to pay more for higher quality foods to get something without added sugar. What that means is that vendors are adding the sugar to lower quality foods to make the taste more competitive with the better stuff. 

Yes, as Tom said it doesn't sound like real balsamic at all. I'm afraid caramel colour is made from some kind of sweetener, sucrose, dextrose, fructose, molasses etc. There are also 4 types of caramel colour. The one most commonly used in vinegars is called E150b over here and is caustic sulfite caramel, so the sulfites give you a double whammy.

Obviously I'd stop using it immediately. Again, obviously, I've no idea how much or how regularly you've been taking it, so I've no idea how much of an impact it may have had on your W30, although I'm sure you'll still have derived major benefit from it. All I can say is me, personally, I'd carry on and see how I felt at the end of 30 days and if I hadn't accomplished all I wanted to, I'd carry on and add the days on but then I've always been pernickity about wanting my W30s to be as squeaky clean as possible.

• 1 year later...

Some ingredients aren't always as clear as others, this caramel one caused a small storm of cranky people in Australia as we don't by law need to have a nutrition panel on tea or coffee (ingredients must be listed) and this colour was not commonly used here before, so this is a very sneaky way of pretending you're not adding sugar, when you are (in this particular product), it's not added for colour (the tea is the *same* colour as usual).

One product maker told a number of people it wasn't sugar and a number of diabetics said it messed with their blood sugar, doctors asked and were told yes, it's a form of sugar. Sometimes being honest is really the best policies on labels, but sadly not always what's done. The law is often behind the tricks of the trade.

Archived