Costco Low Sodium Bacon

c00kiekrisp

Hi there, I searched the forums and found conflicting information on this bacon. Some posts say it contains maltodextrose, but my package does not list that as an ingredient, or any other type of sugar. Is the ingredient list on the package wrong? Is this a hidden/secret ingredient? Can someone please explain? Thanks!

• Moderators

The reason we do not recommend specific brands is because vendors change their ingredient lists. Some Cosco Low Sodium bacon may be compliant and some may not be. You have to read the label on your package to know. 

We see differences across regions and across time, so you have to be vigilant. 

Just remember that while factory farmed bacon may be compliant, it is not ever the best choice or dare i say a healthy choice.  Whole30 recommends lean cuts of grass fed/grass finished animals.

While pork will never be grass fed, there are vastly different levels of quality to be found.  If you want good bacon from animals that were raised responsbiliy and are not part of the toxic factory environment, just order from http://www.grasslandbeef.com/.  They have a whole section on where they get their pork from. 

Order on Monday and get it on Wednesday... buy in bulk and just freeze what you are not going to use right away.

I checked the labels on the low sodium bacon at my local Costco this weekend. The ingredients were technically compliant, but it's still full of nitrates/nitrites and is obviously a very processed food. Personally, I feel it doesn't fit the spirit of the Whole30 so won't be eating it. We buy good prosciutto instead which is only pork and salt. You can bake it in the oven and it gets crispy just like bacon.

Whole30 recommends lean cuts of grass fed/grass finished animals.

Just to clarify...Whole30 recommends lean cuts of meat when you can not afford/obtain grass-fed/pastured/organic meats. The shopping list will show this as best, better, or good. The reasoning being that most toxins are contained in the animal fat so if you are eating conventional protein you want to trim the fat/skin. With bacon you are usually talking about much more fat than protein so it is highly advisable to get the best quality you can or skip it all together.

Archived