Struggling with start date

tdawg74

Hello!  I am wanting to start Whole30, but I'm SO afraid that I'm going to fail.  I have such a bad sweet tooth.  I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this.  I know that this will be good for me.  I know I need to make a change.  I'm 40 and I got diagnosed with Hashimoto disease last year.  I'm married with 2 children and I want to be healthy for them.  It's so great to have this forum as an extra support system.  Hope to join you all soon!

Welcome!

So what if you do this and succeed???  :) 

Consider the strategies you'll need in place to stay on track.  What are the potential triggers or situations that could pull you off, and build in strategies to stay the course.  Decide to succeed this time.

The easiest way to "get" this is to review the rules, and follow the meal template recommendations that each meal contains protein, vegetables and fat.

tdawg74, you can increase you chances of succeeding by PLANNING. I'm an engineer & a bit of an overplanner by nature, but I made weekly menus & shopping lists. I didn't ever want to be standing in the kitchen, hungry, trying to figure out what to cook. Also, I found it helpful to double recipes -  one meal goes on the table when it's prepared, the other goes into the freezer for the day when I just can't face cooking.

If you want to take a few weeks to research recipes, clean non-compliant foods out of your house, & make a menu, consider joining me for a Feb. 18th start.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/24094-whole30-for-lent-starting-february-18th/

Good luck!

Start Monday. Assign that date to yourself. So you can have the next couple days to get your head in the game. If you fail, then oh well that's life. Then you start again, until you succeed. If you have a sweet tooth, fruits are sweet. The biggest challenge is getting over the fear of taking a chance. You got this! Remember to take it one day at a time, and think of it as "well its only a 30 days" instead of "OMG a whole entire 30 days without..."  I know how I finally was able to jump into it, was by focusing on the positive/task at hand instead of letting the "what ifs" and the" I can't do it"  take up anymore of my life. Just pick a day and go for it. If you do it for a week and fail, then you evaluate what made you fail and how you could have avoided it. After that you will then have more information that will help you be successful next time. 

I agree with angledge on the double recipe, that has been super helpful for me. I started this week without properly meal planning so doubling up the food I do make, has help me tremendously get through this week.

I'm married with two kids as well and I never planned to put my kids on the whole 30 but they eat what I eat, and I feel so happy that they are also taking in great foods.  

Good luck  ;)

• Administrators

We actually don't recommend using fruits to prop up that sweet tooth if what you are trying to do is get it to quiet down and go away. When your brain is crying for sugar and you give it fruit, all it knows is that it threw a fit and you threw something sweet at it.  Starve it out with protein and fat if you absolutely have to eat something, otherwise just ignore it.

We actually don't recommend using fruits to prop up that sweet tooth if what you are trying to do is get it to quiet down and go away. When your brain is crying for sugar and you give it fruit, all it knows is that it threw a fit and you threw something sweet at it. Starve it out with protein and fat if you absolutely have to eat something, otherwise just ignore it.

Yes, you are right. I apologize, I didn't mean that you should replace cravings with fruitS. My intended point was... it's not like you aren't going to taste anything sweet in the next 30 days because fruit is sweet, which is part of the program. But yes thanks for clarifying that.

Archived