Autism & 2 1/2 y/o - Debating a W30!

Juleslynn79

I completed my first W30 in January 2014.  Since then, I've wanted to do another one, but have made excuses every month as to why it won't work (parties, camping, concerts, etc).  I wanted to start on 1/1/15, but used the excuse of "I have too much going on in my life to do this right now". My 2 1/2 y/o daughter was recently diagnosed with ASD and I'm overwhelmed with intervention, appointments, in addition to working full-time and having two other children to take care of.

Our family is not the healthiest...we are all about easy. I'm not talking fast-food and take-out, but pasta is served a few times, PB&J for school, with packaged snacks.  I think my whole family would benefit from a W30, but I think it will only be me and my daughter this time around (she has digestive issues, but also a strong gag reflex...so this will be tricky).  But am I crazy to think I can do this with her? Should I just do the W30 and integrate as much of it into her as possible, but not force certain things?  She is semi-picky, so I'm afraid of her being hungry if she isn't happy with what I offer her.  Really, I'm hoping the benefits of a healthy diet will help her symptoms/behaviors.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I think a lot of the principals behind W30 would really benefit your family -- it encourages you to get lots of sleep, deal with stress in positive ways, and socialize. Those are all really important for parents of kids with special needs!

The dietary changes might be good for your daughter, too. Many kids with ASD also have IBS or other digestive issues, which can be exacerbated by gluten. (I worked in special ed for several years, and almost all of the children with sensory integration issues and disorders that caused anxiety problems were on gluten-free diets). They won't make all of her behaviors go away, but anything that might bring her comfort or help her body feel calm is bound to be a good thing.

I wouldn't worry about SWYPO for kids.

Textures are often so important, see how you go :) Soups (if they like them) can be a good way to get in less-popular ingredients.

Don't worry if it's not 100%, it's all progress. (grain and dairy free are probably the most important)

Bone broth, gelatin and liver are really good for gut problems.

Archived