Need Good Mayo Recipe

PoukieBear

I tried making my own mayo a few days ago, and ended up rinsing the entire batch down the drain.  

It.. Was.. Revolting!!

I used one egg, extra virgin olive oil, mustard powder, and salt.  (From a recipe I found on Pinterest)

I have a feeling it was nasty because of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil.  That's all I could taste, Blech!

I have since bought a bottle of LIGHT olive oil, and would like a better recipe to try.  Any suggestions?

• Administrators

Oh, for sure you cannot make decent tasting mayo with EVOO.

Avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, light olive oil (as long as it hasn't been cut with soybean oil) all make fantastic mayo.  You don't mention what acid you used (most use lemon juice) but you can also use apple cider vinegar to get a tart mayo and I prefer lime juice over lemon.

Try using Pure or Light Olive Oil instead of EVOO and remember to pour the oil in reeeeeeally slow. I've used the mayo recipe on the Whole30 website.

The recipe calls for :

1 and 1/4 cup olive oil

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 to 1 lemon juiced

Just mix the 1/4 cup oil, egg and seasonings first. Once blended, begin to SLOWLY add the rest of the cup of oil while blending. I actually purchased a Cuisinart Smart Stick Blender and it's made this process extremely easy. The pouring is a little time consuming but the end result is totally worth it. After it's the consistency of mayo you can add some lemon juice. I add a little bit. Just add whatever your taste buds prefer.

After alls said and done, you've got about 1 1/2 cup of amazing mayo. With that same mayo you can make other dressings. I've made ranch dressing from it and I will never go back to conventional dressings or condiments. This stuff is seriously heavenly.

Good Luck!

My 2 cents.

• Administrators

Hey lcdak, if you're using an immersion blender you can actually just dump all your ingredients into an appropriately sized jar (I find a 500ml mason jar works well), pop the immersion blender in there and hit the go button.  Draw the blender up slowly and in about 15-20 seconds you're done.  I usually then take a large spoon and give it a good stir to make sure any oil pockets are incorporated.  I don't even bother worrying about room temperature, totally doesn't matter with the immersion blender

Here's a good post showing the process...although I don't use her recipe, I use the one from Clothes Make The Girl.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Why does it have to be light olive oil?

I don't know,where to buy that. Same with Avocado or Macadamia Oil.

Greetings, Silke

Regular olive oil is going to be far too strong tasting to make mayo, you want something with a much lighter flavour. The "Chosen Foods" Avocado oil that they sell at Costco works beautifully or you can just find "light tasting" olive oil and use that.

• Moderators

Greetings, Silke

I'm not sure where you're located, but here, light olive oil is available in regular grocery stores. Avocado and Macadamia nut oil is harder to find here, I usually have to go to Whole Foods, Sprouts, or a health food store.

Greetings, Silke

I get my Macadamia oil from African Christian College in Swaziland...YES! they use the $$ they get from selling the oil and, of course, their macadamia nuts to supplement the cost of education. So, by buying from them, you help people become educated and get FANTASTIC products. The oil is DELICIOUS! Here's the link to their "sustainability" info and ordering info, if you're interested: http://www.africanchristiancollege.org/sustainability/

hey ladyshanny, ShannonM816 and msbiz, thanks for your answers. I am from germany, never saw light olive oil before,but will keep my eyes open. especially for light tasting olive oil. And I am happy about that link! I'll check that option. buying good quality and supporting education seems to be a good thing to me :-)

thanks a lot!

• Administrators

I get my Macadamia oil from African Christian College in Swaziland...YES! they use the $$ they get from selling the oil and, of course, their macadamia nuts to supplement the cost of education. So, by buying from them, you help people become educated and get FANTASTIC products. The oil is DELICIOUS! Here's the link to their "sustainability" info and ordering info, if you're interested: http://www.africanchristiancollege.org/sustainability/

Unfortunately the oil purchase can only be done if you have a US address....which I don't and miniburpee doesn't either, being from Germany.  Too bad, too, I would have purchased a good amount of their oil!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The last TWO times I tried it was a flop (didn't emulsify). I am so tired of throwing ingredients away!!!

Do you guys use the whole egg, or just the yolk?

I follow the recipe ladyshanny linked to above and use the whole egg, don't even bother to let it get to room temperature. Sometimes it's a little thinner, sometimes a little thicker, but it's always definitely mayo-like.

When you have one that doesn't work, don't toss it -- there are discussions here on the forum, and probably elsewhere on the internet, for troubleshooting mayo, trying to figure out how to fix it if it didn't quite work. Google Whole30 mayo fail to find them.

I've been making homemade mayo once a week for over 2 years. I have had one flop and I turned it into salad dressing, so no waste.

I use one whole egg and one yolk. My last batch looked a little runny, so I added more oil, blending with an immersion blender. That did the trick! I don't know if that would have worked with a regular blender.

They had beautiful looking fresh dill at the farmer's market this weekend and I started thinking about how I will miss potato salad and then realized I don't have to.  Made the mayo last night, buying some organic red potatoes at lunch today, and gonna hard boil some eggs tonight to add in, as well as some spring onion and celery.  I'm kind of excited.

I felt that way about tuna salad.  I usually feel guilty eating it because of the fat...so moving it into a good food choice was great!  Tuna, homemade mayo, pickles, boiled egg, onion...on a bed of kale or tomatoes...yum-yum.  I guess I need to go make some now! LOL

Archived