Anyone else doing the Whole30 in Canada?

Nado

Hey all!

This is my first Whole30 (woohoo!) - I'm on Day 3 (so many days left!). I'm from Montréal, Canada and I've found it extremely frustrating that many of the Whole30 approved foods only ship within the U.S. I can't seem to find any bacon that isn't cured with sugar or any sausages. Anyone else have any luck?

On another note, how is everyone doing?

Nadine

Welcome fellow Montrealer!  I'm on my Day 3 as well.

Yep.  This is a common problem in this beautiful city. 

I have had luck with proscuito as a bacon alternative (crisps up nicely in the oven)

and sausages - I sometimes make my own blend and just season ground meat with it.  It works.  I know some Inter-Marche locations make their own sausages and they are compliant (but as always - read your labels)

• Administrators

I pretend (to my husband) that their bacon is not compliant so that I have a reason not to cook it every Sunday morning. ;)  As far as I'm concerned it's just too much of a chemical laden and worst instance of "factory farmed meat product" to consider it for what it ends up being which is basically just junk food.  The low sodium one at my Costco is compliant, technically.

Carlaccini - Yay! Another Montrealer! How's your Day 3 going? I'll pass by Costco & Inter-Marche this weekend and will let you know if I find anything good.

Ladyshanny - Sad to hear you have the same problem out in the West. How do you do it? I'm almost prepared to jump into my car and head for Plattsburgh for some bacon. I'm sure the border agent would get a few laughs.   

• Administrators

Haha, Nado, hell would freeze over first!  I'm pretty safe.  Sometimes it irritates me to see a really delicious looking recipe that involves bacon that I think would be really good...but I just refuse to go down that road so I pass those recipes by.  I haven't perished yet.  ;)

For sausage, I do my own as Carla noted above.  I usually use Clothes Make the Girl Italian Sausage Seasoning and then form them into patties, freeze them raw between layers of parchment and then I have instant sausage patties when I'm in a pinch...they cook beautifully from frozen in a hot frying pan.

I'm a Canadian now in Day 4 as well (I live in Toronto)!  I haven't made it to Whole Foods yet, in part because I'm trying to find items at either my local grocery stores or health food stores that aren't as pricey.  I've had luck with prosciutto, and found sausages made by the Longo's deli that are compliant.  I also discovered Artisana Nut Butter packages in Longos on a display with the other nut butters - they're great for on the go.

Has anyone had luck finding compliant beef jerky in Canada?

Went to the farmer's market this morning! Picked up lots of free range pork and grass fed beef! In the Okanagan, also have difficulty finding compliant items. Would love to find RxBars, using occasional Larabar for post/pre workout emergencies.

• Administrators

Oh, you guys!!! For those living in BC (and maybe other places that might sell it), Thrifty Foods sells Jamie Oliver sausages that are WHOLE30 COMPLIANT!!! We had the garlic and herb ones for breakfast this morning. You get 4 good sized sausages for $5.99. 2 was enough for my hubby for breakfast and I had one and a bit and we both had eggs.

So Canada DOES have compliant sausage. And just when I'd put all my energy into pretending it didn't exist!

Hi, I am also Canadian.  Doing Whole30 first round.  Today (Saturday jan. 10) is day 6.  I feel great, other than I sinus infection. 

as for the bacon and sausage, I rarely eat bacon cause I can't stand the cooking smell!  My parents make homemade sausage, I'll have to check with them, but I'm sure it would be compliant.

Metro's private label "Irresistibles" has a Mild Italian Sausage in the meat section that is compliant!  The hot one isn't, but mild is.  Their prosciutto is great too, and a little cheaper than other brand names, if you're looking for a bacon substitute. 

@DebB813 - I contacted RxBar and they don't sell in Canada, but you can order on the website. I'm holding out though because an addiction to Questbars is one of the habits I'm trying to break on the Whole30!

• 2 months later...

Hello the Canadians :)

I am in Burlington, Ontario.  I have never found any bacon so will check out the Costco stuff.  I use cured ham (mostly prosciutto).  Jamie Oliver brand sausages in Sobeys I think are compliant and pretty tasty.  They have some salt additives though. Got some days off soon so off to check the out the farm stores Burlington/Milton area.  Looking forward to some farm fresh meat and veg.  Will let you know how I get on for those that are in the area.

@Amanda B: point me in the direction of the FB group if you set it up.  Not Toronto, but am GTA :)

Hey, late to the party (as usual for me!) but for any T-dot'ers:

Sobeys and Metro both have compliant Italian sausages. Sobeys: look for their own house brand (Sensations). Metro: look for their house brand (Naturally Raised). But double check the ingredients list to make sure they haven't changed the formula and snuck in any sugar or wheat (breadcrumbs). I find that having even a tiny bit of sausage (1/3 piece) with my eggs makes my tummy feel much more satisfied.

I completed my first Whole30 in February, but I'm eating as clean as I can still and would love to join a FB group for the GTA.

On the sausage note, there's a brand called Traditionally Raised that you can find in Metro at they're delicious. Mama Earth Organics or similar food shares are a great way to get local produce!

I'm another Canadian living in Kingston, day 18 and going really well!  The grocery stores here leave a lot to be desired!!!  For you Montrealers there's a market in St Lambert that has all kind of neat goodies.  I was there before starting the Whole30 but found several gems (I'm Celiac and allergic to Soy)  And for you Torontonians , I had lived in High Psrk and there's all kinds of little markets on Bloor St with great finds!!

• 2 years later...

Archived