always hungry

I am on day 5 and feeling great. My husband is another story....

I make sure to give him 6-8 ounces of protein, 2-3 cups of vegetables with a healthy fat each meal.

1-2 hours after eating, he is looking for more food. He seems ravenous! It's driving me crazy! Lol. I want us both to be successful at this and he just seems very unsatisfied with how he feels. He was never a big eater and he's been eating more the past few days then I have ever seen. What's up with this?

Yesterday's food log:

Breakfast- scramble : Scrambled eggs,diced sweet potato, whole30 sausage, onions, green & red pepper, garlic. Black coffee. 8 oz water.orange slices.

Lunch: grilled steak, garlic green beans with cherry tomato & bacon. Sliced strawberries

Dinner: sweet potato soup w/ bacon crumbles... We got interrupted during dinner and got hungry later and ate a taco salad (ground beef,avocado,onion,tomato,cilantro).

Snacks on hand: raw cut up veggies, black olives, sliced chicken breast, coconut flakes.

Not only did he eat everything listed... He ate more ground meat w/veggies, almost all the snacks, even dives into the fruit. Adding almond butter and eating hard boiled eggs.

This is very strange for him. He used to eat 3 regular meals a day and never snacked. We are eating better food so I really don't understand what's going on. This is going to be expensive and very time consuming for me if I can't get to the bottom of this :-)

Instead of weighing his protein, use the palm of *his* hands as a guide, and get in 1-2 palms per meal.  The length, width and thickness of his palm is 1 palm, two of those are two palms.

It's hard to tell portion sizes from what you've listed - get him closer to the upper end of the template on the veggies, which would be 3 cups per meal.

I can see why the soup and bacon dinner (understood it was interrupted) would leave him wanting more later. Bacon is more of a fat than a protein on the Whole30. 

Also, be sure he's staying hydrated: aim for 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of his current body weight.

Side note: is the bacon compliant?

Does he exercise? If so, what's his workout routine?

bacon is compliant. I have been so worried about right amount of veggies that I've been measuring them :-)

He normally excercizes 3-4 times a week ( he's a personal trainer) however we have been beyond busy this last week. He hasn't gone at all. A mix between weights/ cardio.

I'll get him to drink more water and try the palm sizes as guidance from here on out.

• Administrators

I think maybe I would do batch cooking for a week or so and let him serve himself.  It's possible that he needs more veggies than 3 cups or that he needs two servings of starchies in a day?  He may need more fat too.  I think it's pretty hard to figure out for someone else what they might need.

Depending on what his previous intake was, he may have lost a lot of calories. We don't consider calories on the Whole30, perse, but if he's all of a sudden gone a lot lower in intake than what he was used to and if his previous intake was SAD-healthy but not highly nutritious, his body could just be begging for those nutrients.  He might level out...or you might find that when eating whole, nutritious foods, that he needs more than you would expect.

In addition to the suggestions above, I would consider that this might be a temporary phenomena. Just give him as much of the good stuff as he needs for now, understanding that his hunger/satiety levels may change over time. More protein and fat will fill the gaping hole better than fruit can. I know if I start snacking on fruit it makes me more hungry rather than less.

• Moderators

A personal trainer gets a fair amount of exercise even when they are not working out. He may need extra food to cover the energy he burns at work. I happen to be a big eater and sometimes honestly need 4 meals per day. And as Mary said, get him more protein and fat. That is what satisfies. 

I find that I go through stages. Some days I am good with three meals and then occasionally - I guess my metabolism speeds up even more - I need to eat 4 or even 5 meals. 

Thank you for the suggestions. He is 5"10 and 165.

He went back to work today so I'm going to take the time and just stock the fridge with more protein/fat and pre cooked veggies

so he can help himself. Hopefully I can get him more comfortable this next week

Hmm, fairly trim then.  As others have said, try bumping portion sizes a bit or adding a 4th meal with the existing portions.  Could it be he just needs to redefine what 'hungry' vs 'full' means?  I know when I eat less starchy carbs, I don't get that "unbuckle my belt" full feeling ... the satiation is a different quality, hard to describe.

>so he can help himself

I'd probably try tweaking the current setup before going this route, especially if you're the one familiar with the program.  I think it'd be too easy for him to go off the rails that way. Granted, at his current ht/wt he clearly doesn't have a problem with overeating, so maybe it will be ok. :)

He may need a good dose of starch at every meal, in addition to Pre & Post WO snacks (mini template-meals may work best for him while he's so hungry). Maybe extra fat too (mayo can be good for this). It's sometimes harder for trainers (and other physical jobs) to identify when they're working out, but their activity level is often much higher and that energy needs to be accounted for.

There also doesn't seem to be much fruit in there (fruit isn't mandatory). A banana a day might be a good addition for him if he used to eat a lot of fruit before.

I'd add starch first, but if he's still struggling he may need some fruit as well.

I'd also add some boiled eggs to the fridge supply, if he picks those over other things, he may not be getting enough protein or fat.

Archived