Comprehensive list of approved, and not approved ingredients?

shonnapdx

Hello! I'm new here, starting on January 12th. Looking forward to it! 

I havne't been able to find a comprehensive list of approved and not approved ingredients, and as I'm going through some of my foods and vitamins etc, I'm running into items that I don't know what they are.

Instead of posting a new topic every time we have a question about compliant ingredients, and searching the forums endlessly for each ingredient there must be a list somewhere, right? Please let me know how to find it! 

The ingredients so far that I have questions about:

Potassium Sulfate

gum arabic 

xanthan gum

vegetablel glycerin

"natural flavors"

MCT oil

palm kernel oil

stearic acid

silica

safflower oil

canola oil

Also, the Trader Joe's Ghee I just bought says "contains milk" but otherwise has no questionable ingredients. Is it complaint even though it says it contains milk? (I know it starts out as milk, but once it's clarified, should be fine, right?)

• Moderators

Every question has already been asked and answered multiple times. The best way to search is to type "Whole30" and whatever word or phrase you are wondering about into a browser. 

There are only a few simple answers, so a list would not be appropriate. For instance, we allow canola oil during a Whole30 because if we did not, you could not eat in a restaurant for 30 days. However, we recommend you not consume any canola oil, especially at home where you have control. Some seed oils are okay in a dressing, but bad if heated during cooking. 

Google is not terribly efficient for little things like this. It just gives me a list of posts where the word has been mentioned, and then I have to sift through several articles to find the information I need!

So, there's no actual list anywhere that says if things are compliant or not? (Besides the sugar list)

Just think of it as an opportunity to learn more about this style of eating.  While you may have to do some digging in threads to find the right answer, in the process you usually see a lot of info as to the WHY of a certain inclusion or exclusion.  Knowing the context behind whether something is compliant or not can be more educational than a simple list of yesses and nos.

• Administrators

Hey Shonnapdx,

The simplest way to eat compliantly without doing tonnes of research is to avoid packaged products.  Stick to meat, veggies, some fruits and the good fats.  All veggies except peas (legume) and corn (grain) are permitted. 

You can make google work for you better if you type in Whole30 can I have + ingredient if you want it to try and narrow the search a bit.

Kirkor is right, as time consuming as it can be, people tend to embrace the program so much more when they really understand what's going on. 

The lists Mary linked are great but there is no possible way to make a list of every single compliant item on the planet...there just isn't.  A tough love part of this is ownership of your own program.  And of course we're here to help if you really get stuck.  :)

Yes, I've been doing a ton of research about Whole30, and have learned a lot in the forums. And, I agree of course to minimize processed foods.

However! Picture people, standing in the grocery store, trying to choose a jar of pickles. It has a few ingredients that are not entirely familiar, and they need to know in that moment, if that particular ingredient is compliant. Potassium Sulfate for example. I've already done a ton of research and reading in the forums before going to the grocery store, but when I'm there, I don't have time to sift through 5 google articles to find out if that one ingredient is compliant!

It just seems like it really wouldn't be that hard to compile a list of these common additives in our food, alphabetize them, and say "yes" or "no"! Especially if people are asking about mostly the same ones over and over again.

Right? Maybe I'll take it on, Ha!  :)

• Moderators

However! Picture people, standing in the grocery store, trying to choose a jar of pickles. It has a few ingredients that are not entirely familiar, and they need to know in that moment, if that particular ingredient is compliant. Potassium Sulfate for example. I've already done a ton of research and reading in the forums before going to the grocery store, but when I'm there, I don't have time to sift through 5 google articles to find out if that one ingredient is compliant!

Here's the thing -- if you follow the rules, your food will be compliant. Period. There are a lot of other additives that people ask about, but if they're not mentioned in the rules, and you consume them, you haven't ruined your Whole30. By all means, look up those other additives and find out what they are and then decide if you want to consume them or not, but if you're stressed out and at the store looking at a product, look specifically to see if it follows the rules.

What that means in a nutshell: No grains (including corn), no legumes (including peanuts and soy), no alcohol, no sweeteners of any kind (missmary linked to the sneaky sugar names in her post above), no dairy, no MSG, carrageenan, or sulfites (anything that ends in sulfite is out -- watch for metabasulfite), and no re-creating baked goods, junk food, or treats.

That's it. Remember those things. You'll be fine. 

(And if there's something, like, for instance, pickles, that you know you want to buy, before you get to the store, google Whole30 pickles, and see what you find -- good chance there'll be some brands mentioned which would give you a place to start -- although even then you should read the ingredients and make sure, and maybe you'll notice particular problematic ingredients to watch out for).

• 1 month later...

Archived