Carbohydrate Intake and Metabolic Repair during the whole30

ChrisC

Hey everyone whole 30 is awesome, its a great resource to give to people instead of trying to explain your nutritional strategies,

Quick question about carbs on the whole30

I recently Purchased Jason Ferruggias Renegade diet, which is pretty much a paleo diet structured for athletes allowing carbs from potatoes, and 1-2 servings of fruit at night.

He suggests that before starting a fat loss routine, to take an assessment of your metabolism, and if it is severely broken like mine is to slightly overeat until your temperature has been stable in the 98 range for at least 3-4 weeks. I figured this was the perfect time to start the whole 30 and see how my body handles certain foods.

I have also read much of Lyle Mcdonalds work and he states with research that when repairing metabolic slowdown carbs should be kept at least around 100g, closer to 300g for someone with my activity level. (40 minute walking commute to class, 3 days a week olympic/power lifting, 3 days a week conditioning)

What are your thoughts on doing the whole 30 without going into a full targeted ketogenic diet? Just following paleo guidelines and getting carbs from sweat potatoes and Yams at night?

Thanks,

Chris

• Moderators

Most people eat a lot fewer carbs during a Whole30 because they wind up replacing bread and pasta with vegetables, but the Whole30 does not specify any particular level of carb intake. The Whole30 is a time to forget about counting calories or grams of carbohydrates and to just eat good food. You can steer away from carbs if you like, but anyone who is physically active benefits from eating some carbs to keep their energy levels up. Sweet potatoes are a fine choice for carbs and I frequently include them in my post-workout meals.

Chris,

First, I'd like to apologize if the Whole30 Success Guide came across as "carbphobic". That was not at all our intention, and certainly not how we think about things. While I'm not on board with some of McDonald's stuff, 100g of carbs from starchy veggies (mostly from non-potatoes, as most other starchy veggies are most nutrient-dense than white potatoes are) sounds perfectly solid for your activity level. More important than # of carbs is the source of those carbs, which we always say should be from Real Food, especially more nutrient-dense stuff (vs stuff like bananas, apples, and potatoes, which are somewhat less nutrient-dense than other potential choices). All that being said, make sure you're eating enough overall, and use the meal planning template in the Success Guide to help you figure out how much that should be. Good luck!

Dallas

• 2 weeks later...

Love whole30/paleo for the way more relaxed way of eating - no weighing, measuring or counting calories :-) Am trying to contain my use of sweet potato or butternut for post wod snacks despite being quite active (I'd have one or the other with every meal given a chance!!) - at least one CrossFit session a day as well as teaching group fitness classes and having a physically demanding job.......... I'd really love to focus on fat loss/body composition rather than weight loss so any suggestions welcome :-)

Gail, why are you limiing your consumption of the very starchy veggies that are supporting your very active lifestyle?!? If you're focusing on body composition, the last thing you want to do is stress your body out by under-feeding it (and under-recovering), which will halt your weight loss efforts in their tracks. If you're doing that much (and it may be too much - just a thought - one CF sessoin a day plus a demanding job plus group fitness classes? Where are your days off???) you need the carbohydrate. Eat the sweet potato or squash - nobody ever made themselves metabolically deranged on a sweet potato or two a day, especially with your acivity level.

Best,

Melissa

I am an ultrarunner, running 60-75 miles per week most weeks except race weeks which are higher. I began CrossFit a few months ago and absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Around the time I began CF I began my first Whole 30. What an eye opener! I knew, but didn't really hold myself accountable to my sugar addiction. By making a real effort to eat clean paleo for 30 days I was able to change so much, mentally and physically. I am recovering more quickly, the inflamation from 2 herniated discs I suffered last year is GONE, and I am building muscle and looking lean. I can not thank Melissa and Dallas enough for the Whole30 guide and this whole process. Thank you!

Thanks for that Melissa...........I guess I'm worried about using the sweet potato as a replacement for something sweet like people use fruit...... Rest day is Sunday :-) The double CF sessions are only 1-2 each week along with 2 days a week off teaching classes.

Archived