Antibiotics :(

eatprayrun

So, I am so sad, but I guess I have a very bad case of Tonsilitis. My dr. wants me on antibiotics because it's already so bad. I am fevered and weak and can hardly swallow. I am not a fan of antibiotics, but I don't think I have a choice. Just wondering how antibiotics will affect my Whole30 and if I have to start over....I am done Day 8 and was just starting to get over all the cravings and weird moods - I would hate to have to start again :(

• Moderators

No, you don't have to start over due to antibiotics -- doctor's orders always trump Whole30 rules. 

If you don't already, you might look into taking probiotics. I think you can take them while you're taking antibiotics, but can't take both at the same time, if that makes sense. I think what I read was wait two hours after taking the antibiotic to take the probiotic, but you might want to check with your doctor. It can help with the stomach problems that antibiotics can cause.

If you feel up to it, you should try making some broth -- it'll be something warm and comforting and good for you to eat while you're sick, especially if you're having trouble with solid food.

Hope you feel better soon!

I am on the same boat.  I will have tooth extraction next week  :huh:  :huh:  and I have to take a prescribed medication (Hydrocodone) with meals.  I'd really like to stay with the program and not have to start over.  I have it planned out to where I'll make my own broth and that'll pretty much be my meals for the next few days. 

@Eatprayrun:  Thank you for your support and glad you are keeping up and staying with the Whole30 no matter the circumstances.  

@ultrarunnergirl:  I so wish I could run.. for now I walk very fast...   :D   Thank you for the soup recipe.  I have a few days, great news is... I have all the ingredients at home, but the zucchini.  Look forward to having this soup during recovery and some good movies to watch cuddled with my doggy and blanket.  

Have a great weekend to you both.

Blessings,

Sheila

• 3 weeks later...

Whew! What a relief that antibiotics are okay on W30. Tooth infection/possible sinus involvement. Apparently it is possible that sinus drainage can affect the teeth/gums? Anyway: probably going to have to have a root canal.

It occurred to me to wonder if my detox (I'm finishing Day 10) could have contributed to the infection or whatever it is? You know, flushing out the bad stuff and it just happens to go in the wrong direction or something? I will search the forum more, but I'm wondering if any of you veterans or moderators might know about increased instances of wonky infections as part of the detox.

What's weird is that my sinuses have been clearer for the last week or so (Thanks, W30!) than they've been in months, if not years. I'm a singer, and my voice hasn't been this clear and "clean" since I was in graduate school.

To all my fellow antibiotic-takers and tooth-infection-sufferers... Hang in there.

• Administrators

It occurred to me to wonder if my detox (I'm finishing Day 10) could have contributed to the infection or whatever it is? You know, flushing out the bad stuff and it just happens to go in the wrong direction or something? I will search the forum more, but I'm wondering if any of you veterans or moderators might know about increased instances of wonky infections as part of the detox.

I'm not aware of infections specifically (although others might be) but yes, sometimes when you are at the beginning to mid point of the Whole30, all of that change can stress your system and bring your immune function down temporarily, making you that much more susceptible to bugs getting a foothold.

• Moderators

My first Whole30 I picked up what seemed like every bug imaginable, from flu to conjunctivitis, and was sicker than a dog. I have no idea if it was in any way related to Whole30, but I do have the sense that in clearing out the system you might REALLY clear out the system.

Nearly two years and four Whole30s later, I can happily say that my body is in a completely different place, and *tap wood* I haven't so much as sniffled during this flu season and my January W30.

• 5 weeks later...

Ditto here on the anti-bs. I got tonsillitis just before starting my whole 30 so I pushed it back by almost a week.  Started anti-bs and was seemingly ok for about 4 or 5 days and now its back :(  I can't eat much of anything, sipping broth, tea (and fclo) and occasionally a banana just because I have the appetite for it.  Will likely need a 2nd round of anti-bs.  But because I'm not doing nearly anything close to the 3 solid meals and have had fruit as a snack (tried to eat it with a meal as much as possible), do I need to start over?  I'm not sure how much this will affect my program/results?  I'm also breastfeeding my 8mo and my supply went down with the first round of tonsillitis.  Its just a disaster lol

Ditto here on the anti-bs. I got tonsillitis just before starting my whole 30 so I pushed it back by almost a week.  Started anti-bs and was seemingly ok for about 4 or 5 days and now its back :(  I can't eat much of anything, sipping broth, tea (and fclo) and occasionally a banana just because I have the appetite for it.  Will likely need a 2nd round of anti-bs.  But because I'm not doing nearly anything close to the 3 solid meals and have had fruit as a snack (tried to eat it with a meal as much as possible), do I need to start over?  I'm not sure how much this will affect my program/results?  I'm also breastfeeding my 8mo and my supply went down with the first round of tonsillitis.  Its just a disaster lol

Ow, that's tough!! And painful. Do what you can and know that eating healthfully will be better than eating not-healthfully. Here's hoping you are able to recover soon.

Archived