What do I put my Whole30 compliant Spaghetti sauce ON?

quinnNjesse

I know spaghetti squash but it's 1am (shift worker here!) and I don't have time to make it.  So I'm sitting here eating a bowl of sauce. LOL. Luckily it's chunky and pretty good but I'm just looking for more ideas that my only one, which is the squash. :)

• Moderators

A spiralizer is a decent investment if you like the shape and texture of noodle-like things. Then you could make a pile of "noodles' out of butternut squash or sweet potatoes or zucchini or any number of other things. I second praxis's suggestion of eating the sauce atop a mash of some sort--cauliflower or any root veg or blend thereof. Celeriac is a favorite of mine for this purpose.

It probably doesn't matter but the meat is turkey as I don't eat beef/pork. I've not yet figured out how to make zucchini noodles but I will investigate! Oh and good call on the Fauxtatoes….

Sadly i have NEITHER the house. Hundreds of dollars in shopping to start this and i have neither. HA.  :) 

I saw someone put a very thick meat red sauce over a baked potato.  

I use this  Vegollete Zucchini Pasta Maker Hulk, Spiral Vegetable Slicer to make zucchini noodles.  I bought it on amazon, but i have seen similar style ones at  bed bath and beyond.

• Administrators

ljcrochette, that's my favourite, sauce over a baked potato/baked sweet potato/baked acorn squash. 

I've put sauce over roasted brussel sprouts, over sautéed or grilled zucchini or peppers, over roasted broccoli.  Really, that sauce can go over anything.  And on the days I make sauce that I think I don't want to bother with what goes under it, I just add some veggies to it and eat it like chili.  Throw some diced avocado on top and it's a meal!

You can also take that same meat sauce, put it in a saucepan and pour in coconut milk and bone broth until you get a thinner consistency and then have soup!

I like this model :) It makes oodles and oodles of zoodles without wearing out your wrists! http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade/dp/B0007Y9WHQ

You can sometimes find them in health food stores, vegetarian or vegan stores. Anywhere which sells a food dehydrator may have one.

You can use the zoodles raw or cooked. I prefer them cooked, either a quick blanch, or throw them in a soup or curry, or bolognese sauce :)

If you like your noodles more al dente I highly advise getting the water out of your zoodles whatever method you use to cook them. I've seen a bunch of different methods for this. Look up zoodle recipes on the internet and try processes until you like the result. I usually will zoodle, rinse, toss them in a lot of sea salt and let sit in the strainer for 30 minutes, and then wrap them in a clean towel and squeeze as much liquid out as I can. I've seen another method where you spread them out on paper towels on a cookie sheet and cover. 

Zoodles can go either way.  They'll have a great texture plated raw and wilting from hot foods on top, you can toss them in a finished sauce raw just long enough to coat them and plate them, or they'll stand up to 3-5 minutes of saute in a thin sauce like a scampi and still have enough bite to feel like noodles.  I usually put them on the plate raw and ladle stuff over them.

Buy the Broccoli Slaw from Trader Joe's and boil it for 1-2 minutes, just enough to make it soft. And voila, you have the same texture as noodles! Put any (and all) sauce on top and enjoy! Super easy and I eat this all the time.

I don't bother with the fancy slicers.  This is my favorite way of using up greens and extra veggies from my CSA.  I chop everyhing up and roast, sautee steam or whatever I feel like.  Then I dump the sauce on top and warm it a bit more to blend the flavors.  Sometimes there is also ground beef or pork sausage involved.  So much more satisfying than pasta!

Last question...so I spiralizer a zuchini...then what? Do I cook it?

or raw, the heat from the sauce warms it up and it's aldente! I used a julienne blade, similar to a vegie peeler for a long time. Cheap. Finally bought a spiralizer, but still like to use the julienne blade when I am in a hurry.

Shakshuka (eggs poached in spicy tomato sauce) has become my favorite breakfast. I usually use a homemade tomato sauce, but any compliant sauce would make a great base. I sauté a diced red bell pepper (or half/half red and green) and small hot chili in olive oil, add a ladle or so of sauce and a little water, maybe some cumin and paprika, and crack 3-4 eggs right in the simmering sauce and cook until the white is just barely set. Sometimes I'll switch it up and toss in some spinach or beet greens or loads of garlic or olives. Delicious! 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived