KTC coconut oil

Are you talking about MCT oil? It's ok. It's not the end of the world and its permitted on the whole30 (its not even restricted or discouraged like a lot of other oils).

Coconut oil is pretty special with lots of good qualities and good fats. MCT oil has been processed to remove most of what we love about coconut oil, leaving the more fragile fats so it's not as good for cooking. 

Part of the reason to use coconut oil for oil pulling is the antibacterial qualities of coconut oil (from the lauric acid content). MCT oil has the lauric acid removed, so, although I have no reason to say you couldn't or shouldn't use it for oil pulling, you would be compromising on that aspect.

• Moderators

There is apparently an internet debate about the KTC brand of coconut oil. I found a vegan site that gave it a thumbs up - http://veganheath.info/ktc-coconut-oil

I do not have general confidence in vegan research and judgment, but honestly, if the vegans approve of KTC, I am sure it is fine. :)

Are you talking about MCT oil? It's ok. It's not the end of the world and its permitted on the whole30 (its not even restricted or discouraged like a lot of other oils).

Coconut oil is pretty special with lots of good qualities and good fats. MCT oil has been processed to remove most of what we love about coconut oil, leaving the more fragile fats so it's not as good for cooking. 

Part of the reason to use coconut oil for oil pulling is the antibacterial qualities of coconut oil (from the lauric acid content). MCT oil has the lauric acid removed, so, although I have no reason to say you couldn't or shouldn't use it for oil pulling, you would be compromising on that aspect.

Do you think MCT oil causes stomach upset?  

Okay thanks everyone!

Does that mean it's not MCT oil then? (I'm not sure what that term means.)

It'd be great if I could use it for oil pulling - although it doesn't taste of anything (gross), it's so much cheaper (only €1.99 for 500ml!). I hate using the expensive stuff and then throwing it in the bin!  :wacko:

Does that mean it's not MCT oil then? (I'm not sure what that term means.)

Nope, this stuff is not MCT oil, sorry I assumed that was what you meant! MCT oil is coconut oil that has been processed to remain liquid at room temperature.

Yes, you could definitely use the KTC for oil pulling.

Do you think MCT oil causes stomach upset?  

I don't have any information on this one Lily, sorry. I think consuming more fats than your digestive system is used to can cause stomach upset, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone who suddenly started, say drinking a lot of "bulletproof" coffee with MCT oil, might feel in in their gut. I just don't know that that would be due to MCT oil specifically or fat in general.

Archived