Advice Pre-TTC?

MrsStick

Hey all, I found a few threads about nutrition during a pregnancy but I'm specifically looking for advice before trying to conceive.

My husband and I will start trying in about five months (assuming that everything with our jobs works out...we should know in about a week), and I was wondering what your advice for me would be, nutritionally or otherwise. What should I think about? What foods should I focus on eating? How else should I be preparing? Supplements? I've wanted to have kids for ages but now that it's getting close and real...it's terrifying and I don't feel like I've done enough to prepare.

I've done two Whole 30s and, while I don't stay completely template between them I still eat some of my favorite compliant meals otherwise and do focus a lot of meat and veg...just allow a few other things in. I'm 100% gluten free because of my Celiac's and, other than the fact that I just had a stomach bug, tend to be rather healthy.

I take a probiotic (and just started making and drinking kombucha), FCLO, and a magnesium/calcium/zinc/vitamin D supplement. I'm moderately active (coming back from shoulder issues, have an MRI on Monday...) and feel great other than the holy crap-ness of the idea of being a parent. Are you ever ready?

• Moderators

Pregnancy is not a part of my personal experience; however, I believe there's a whole protocol recommended by the Weston A. Price foundation. It isn't strictly Whole 30 because it advocates plenty of full-fat dairy, but you might be interested in having a look. I've also read that folks simply do well with Whole 30. Making sure to be liberal with healthy fats, especially from animal sources might be a way to hybrid the two.

How exciting! Best of luck to you!

I'm a whole30 newbie, but was paleo compliant TTC. Lots of good, natural fats helped and fermented cod liver oil is amazing for you and development of the foetus. Best I can say is don't be too restrictive as you need energy reserves to create life and sustain it. :) good luck and be kind to yourself.

Exciting! I'm a Whole30 newbie as well, but I know a few things about nutrition before conception. :P

Possibly the  biggest one is folate/folic acid--folate is super important because folate deficiency is strongly associated with neural tube defects. Flour and other grains are now fortified with folic acid and there have been massive population studies of nueral tube defects before and after the folic acid fortification took effect---and folic acid in grains has steeply dropped the number of neural tube defects occurring. Of course, there are other effects and not all of them are good...but developing fetuses need lots and lots of folate/folic acid. 

And since you're paleo and gulten-free, you're not getting folic acid-fortified flour in your life. You probably get a fair amount from veggies, but to be safe, you should supplement.  See: http://chriskresser.com/folate-vs-folic-acid 

Archived